Reviews for Rest And Recreation
TortoisetheStoryteller chapter 1 . 4/10/2014
He thought Glorfindel was a stripling? Oh, that's rich.
sassyfriend chapter 1 . 4/8/2014
This is really a great story. :) Please do more like this!
Blackheart Dracon chapter 1 . 2/17/2013
Oh, that's great! Boromir always gets himself into some sort of things he can't pull through. And, well, he still pulls through.
That was great, thank you very much for it!
Cretha Loesing chapter 1 . 11/22/2012
Interesting...
A good story, I did so enjoy it. Glorfindel- an untried youth!
Makes me wonder though, why would the Balrog-slayer be tired by a simple human?
Darkover chapter 1 . 10/29/2010
This was very enjoyable to read-there just aren't enough good Boromir stories out there. It had an O. Henry ending, too, at least as far as this reader was concerned. I thought the golden-haired elf would turn out to be Legolas. IMHO, you did a fine job of capturing Boromir's character-he was going crazy at so much idleness, had just enough humility to realize that being the Captain-General of Gondor didn't count for much among elves who had seen kingdoms rise and fall, but as a Man and as a warrior, he ached to prove himself. Thanks for writing and posting this! Sincerely, Darkover
Rian Steelsheen chapter 1 . 6/21/2010
This is a wondrous story! Just delightful )

Boromir is very in-character in this, I can certainly see him being bored in Imladris! And I truly enjoyed your Glorfindel too (he is about the only elf that interest me)!

I also liked how B. didn't let himself be discouraged and just continued fighting even if he kept loosing, I tend to think he'd be a very stubborn guy.

"and counted myself the greatest among them save perhaps for my uncle"

This is really the only thing I can't agree with, it is clearly stated Boro considered himself (and was considered) the first swordsman in Gondor, so I don't see what Imrahil is doing here. Hmm, I don't know why this detail bugs me, I must truly be some sort of a maniac! lol

"He had despaired of finding a worthy practice partner before the return of Elrond's sons and someone named "Estel""

You know I've always thought if there was a duel Boromir vs Aragorn, Boro would win, for several reasons. But most people think Aragorn is the best swordsman in all of Arda just bcs he is Aragorn, heir of Isildur, the returned King, and everything...I guess you're one of those? :)

"I think that Glorfindel guided me to my chamber, whose location I failed to remember after the sixth toast."

Lol (I wonder what Deny and Fara would have said, seeing Boro getting drunk with one of the greatest hero that ever lived in all of Arda... or maybe they were used to this and wouldn't have thought anything of it!)

The story is original and refreshing, very well written. Thank you very much for sharing!
Gismo chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
A nice, well written story! I had no difficulty picturing Boromir and Glorfindel's sparring the way you wrote it, through the eyes of Boromir. And Boromir's mistake for holding Glorfindel for a lady had me laughing.

Thank you for writing this!
Lady Laurelin Ancalimon chapter 1 . 10/21/2009
LOVED it!
Mirach chapter 1 . 4/19/2009
*cheers* Glorfindel! One of my favourite elves! Heh, and Boromir mistook him for a lady... And a sword practice! My great hobby! So Glorfindel sword practice very happy Mirach :D

I find frustrating that I can't describe sword duels in English, the moves are too complicated to do it properly for me, but I can imagine the ending of the duel as you describe it. Just a technical detail, I would do a sommersault on Glorfindel's place, it's quicker. But not so showy ;)

And thank you for mentioning Estel as worthy practice partner for Glorfindel! Hm... Now my head is full of images of those two sparring. Shirtless. And it's your fault, with that "Rite of Spring"!
Jassmine de Blanc chapter 1 . 6/24/2008
I have to confess that neither Boromir nor swordsmanship are my cup of tea, but this story was really pleasant to read! I liked your Boromir, and *loved* your Glorfindel! (*boo* to Peter Jackson for not including him in the movies!)

Still, I think Boromir should have known about Gondolin... I doubt his lore-lover of a brother could fail to introduce him to such a beautiful story... :)
ReviewsGalore chapter 1 . 1/19/2007
Story: 9/10. It's short and character study-ish, but I found this story interesting from beginning to end.

Characters: 9.5/10. I really love your interpretation of Boromir. His restlessness and tension: it's just so Boromir and I think you do a good job of highlighting certain aspects of his character here.

Creativity: 9/10. The story isn't groundbreaking in terms of originality, but I think that you approach Boromir's character from a really refreshing perspective.

Writing: 9.25/10. Your writing is nice, though not really as good as in the other fic.

Believability: 9.25/10. I can't find anything that is essentially unbelievable in the fic.

Overall: 9.25/10. Yes, I know that this is the same as what I gave the last fic. I think that even though the writing isn't quite as good in this fic and the subject matter isn't quite as deep, it is easier to get into the story and I like your interpretation of Boromir better than anyone in the other fic.
Rhyselle chapter 1 . 10/16/2006
Oh I really like this! I had not read any of your fics prior to today (making my way through the Boromir and Faramir based fics is taking far longer than I'd expected when I started reading LOTR fanfic last year) and I'm sorry I had not found these tales sooner.

I could "hear" Boromir's voice in these words and the actions described. You did the first person POV so very well too! I have never mastered that particular POV and so I truly appreciate reading well-written first person fics.

I look forward to reading more of your work as you add new stories and chapters.
ForeverinMoonlight chapter 1 . 6/12/2006
Wonderful fic. _ I really like how you have wrote Boromir's character in this. :D Glorfindel's too!
ErinRua chapter 1 . 3/7/2006
Well, fancy this!

I decided to take a fishing trip through and look what I find! Raksha, this was a delight to read. You've captured Book!Borimir wonderfully, the sort of breezy arrogance Tolkien seemed to give him - which in other days made me not very fond of Boromirat all. I'd say you've got his voice and his outlook captured to a T. And goodness, I never would have thought to pit him against Glorfindel! LOL! What a delight! I loved the mythic-heroic idea that no one but Boromir the Bold could prove a suitable sparring partner for Glorfindel the Balrog-slayer - and chuckled merrily at Boromir's dismissal of "pretty" elves, LOL!

Wonderfully done - thanks for a reading treat!

Cheers

Erin
StefaniaB chapter 1 . 2/6/2006
Raksha, you wrote book Boromir to a T. He's such a pompous so and so, but Glorfindel learned him a good lesson! I don't imagine Glorf being quite so beautiful or prissy, but then your story is written from book Boromir's POV. And I truly agree that Boromir would find combat with an Elf Lord excellent "Rest and Relaxation." Good job!

- Steff