Reviews for For the Good of the Whole
Bottlebrush chapter 1 . 1/7/2009
As you say, not a happy story. But a very good one, the sequence of cause and effect so well thought through as to be absolutely convincing. This is how it would have been if Remus hadn’t gone to Hogwarts.

I especially like the bit about the empty corner in the dormitory, and Peter’s remark about a ghost with which the others agree though they wouldn’t say so. It’s as if what might have been intrudes into what was, or as if the parallel universe in which Remus DID go to Hogwarts impinges on this universe in that corner.

And, as Sirius says in OotP: “You made us feel ashamed of ourselves sometimes…that was something…” and it made all the difference. Because that didn’t happen, Lily found herself a good man who was not the right man for her, and Sirius is left to be totally screwed up by his family. All that confusion, those conflicting emotions, somehow appear quite logical: “werewolves are dark creatures, my family tend toward the Dark side, I will not let them draw me over to it, I will resist the darkness, I hate werewolves.” And then, to find the young man he had been attracted to, and been developing a sort of friendship with, was one of these creatures made him feel he himself was tainted by his family’s Darkness; he must be, to have found a werewolf attractive, mustn’t he? So he has to punish himself by beating up this creature who represents the Dark side of himself, and it doesn’t altogether work, but it’s the best he can do.

And kind, gentle Remus, who never asked for any of this, suffers. And Harry Potter was never born, so – Voldemort rules the world? All because Dumbledore was too busy that day at the Ministry. This really is an excellent story, an exploration of “what-would-happen-if?”
BlackDove-alchemist chapter 1 . 12/2/2008
This is so sad, and well writen. Its sad, because while they may have lived longer, their lives were lacking.
hA-UkA chapter 1 . 7/25/2008
A sadly realistic fate for a Remus-less world.
Riku-Rocks chapter 1 . 3/1/2007
This story is incredible, very touching, and powerful.

It is well thought out, nicely written, and has excellent grammar and style.

I really enjoy the concept of how one seemingly insignificant alteration can completely change the out come, and that a decision made with good intentions could be the thing that breaks the balance.

This story is very well written.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 10/20/2006
And did Snape die anyway, from one of Black's 'pranks'? If Lily was a target, and so was Peter, you know neither Black nor Potter would ever be able to resist tormenting Snape. I thought it odd he wasn't mentioned, is all.
hull lull lull chapter 1 . 7/30/2006
er.
angelofplottwists chapter 1 . 2/9/2006
What an insight. It's hard to believe just one change would have influenced all of their lives, but I can see how much would change in the HP world had Remus not gone to Hogwarts.

Stupid Dumbledore.
Nightelf chapter 1 . 1/31/2006
Wah!

*sniffle*

But it just goes to prove that really, Remus IS the most important character in the books ne? Ha, without him there isn't even a Harry Potter! Let alone a Harry Potter and the PS/CoS/PoA/GoF/OotP/HBP/?...We should rally for more Remus appreciation!

As always a great story. Keep writing!

~_
Meredith T. Tasaki chapter 1 . 1/16/2006
Ohmigod, you noticed. ; *cough* Thank you so much!

Yeah, and to talk about the actual fic now. ; This is excellent. At first I was a bit worried about the distance of the third-person view here, but it works perfectly. Particularly with the exact contrast between what everyone says about werewolves and the truth. And the perfect reason of the sequence of events. And I like how it all stems from Dumbledore doing something perfectly reasonable, just with a different set of priorities- working for the good of the whole. Which actually brings up some _moral_ questions, wow. Excellent, wonderfully-reasoned work, as usual. ;; Damn, sounded like I was grading a _paper_, didn't I? ; But "OMG YOU NOTICED ME THAT IS SO COOL THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU AND YOR FIC ROX" would've been a bit much. ~; At some point I'm going to find a happy medium between squeeing and academia. 'Till then...
Tharin chapter 1 . 1/16/2006
Certainly not a happy story, but an interesting idea how important Remus was for the marauders. I didn't like S/R (even implied), but the story seemd interesting enought to ignore the slash, and I'm glad I read it.
Apus-Equuleus chapter 1 . 1/16/2006
That was so hurting ... I really like how you worte this AU. No one really know what really will happen if Remus didn;t go to Hogwarts but it really make me very sad ... your story but I still like it as it's wonderfuly written.
Kiriska chapter 1 . 1/16/2006
That was beautiful. And incredibly tragic. I really liked how you insnerted in what could have been then went on and ignored it anyway. It just made it that much sadder. I had never thought Remus could have been that much of an influence over the rest of them, but it just makes sense. This was a great AU fic. :)