Reviews for Solitary Trial
AC01 chapter 3 . 2/22
My, my. What a way to go. What I love most is the discretion you use with maintaining the natural progression and treatment of character interactions. The predators you write are still an enigma, even to one such as Lex, who has experienced rare insight into their world. Both sides are continually evaluating, testing, and learning about each other - which lends an air of challenge and intrigue. Nothing was given freely and without serious consideration (as it would be, considering how alien and dangerous either may be to the other). Every bit given was earned in trust or by proving their mettle.
Bravo. Once again, I'm floored. I look forward to returning.
KawaiPanda chapter 3 . 7/5/2013
I loved this. It was amazing. All three and the alternates... :)
CobaltBatWings chapter 3 . 5/24/2013
Thanks a lot for feeding my dirty mind! Jk It was lovely.
FINALLY! They are together. *content sigh*
mr. eff chapter 3 . 3/27/2013
Wolfinson chapter 3 . 11/8/2012
Interesting. Good short. :D
Smithback chapter 3 . 9/1/2012
awesome
Guest chapter 3 . 7/2/2012
Oooh just perfect! Thank you!
Guest chapter 2 . 7/2/2012
I am the one blushing here!
LA Knight chapter 3 . 6/9/2012
So I read chapter 3. I like it. I like that he's careful, that she's willing, that there's very much a primal aspect to their desire and their joining. But... I don't really have anything specific to say because of what this chapter is mostly about. So my review is pretty short compared to all my other reviews so far. Sorry. ( But I like that they are FINALLY undeniably together. And that she accepts the mark he gave her, even though she's like, "Jerk, that hurt." And that it's painful - the bite, I mean. Um... what else? I like that she is willing to be his mate. That she understands and accepts what's between them. He's probably going to get a lot of flak for having a human mate, but... whatever, ya know?

On to Striking Distance, I suppose - after I get some other stuff out of the way. So you might not here from me for a few days. I've only got 1.3 hours to get some more reviews for other people done, gah. Hope I can do it. Watch me go!

LA Knight chapter 2 . 6/9/2012
There is no smut in this story. What are you talking about? *cocks head, confused*

"Time could have stopped then—the world could have halted in its rotation, the sun fallen from the sky, and neither cataclysm would have diverted my attention from the creature standing before me." I love you so much, Solain. And your writing. Love it. Because this totally could have come across as cheesy, but it doesn't. It so doesn't. You are so cool.

And I love how it's Lex's choice. Scar won't force her. I love that. Because he could. He totally could. But he won't. This is where we as writers walk a fine line, because he is a humongous aggressive warrior alien, so it would be so easy to make him into this monster, this forceful my-way-or-the-highway kind of guy, which would also work, but would change the dynamic and the healthiness of the relationship. You do this whole alien/human relationship so brilliantly.

I am almost out of grapes. What will I do, Solain? How will I go on?

"When he reached out with one hand to cuff me lightly on the chin I was irrationally relieved; his behavior to that point had been alien, unfamiliar, making me wonder what had changed. I was beginning to have an inkling as to what actually had changed ..." Wait, wait, wait. What changed? I wanna know! I'm confused, I don't get it! I'm SO CONFUSED! Explain?

I feel a lot of sympathy for Lex because I too dream of being attacked by xenomorphs a LOT.

"The air between us was tangible with things better left unrealized, but it was too late fro that—Scar's very presence here in this room, the fact that he had returned and shown himself to me, both were indicative of all that I was so afraid to realize." I wish I could read her mind. And yours. And his. The subtlety is making my brain hurt. I want hard facts. Does she KNOW why he's there with her? Does she understand he wants to make her his mate? Or is she on totally the wrong track here? And what is he thinking? Is he intrigued by how soft and fragile she is compared to a predator female? Or what? Meh-heh-heh, I wanna know!

Oh, even his mesh-stuff is gone.

So what's with him studying her injuries? Is that a yaujta thing? Or does he just want to look at her and trace them for the same reason human guys do that to their girlfriends? I like that he's so gentle though. I think I've mentioned before how I feel about big strong warrior guys being gentle with their women.

End of chapter 2. Only 1 chapter left, and I already know what happens since I read through all three chapters before starting my reviews. Onward!

LA Knight chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
So this is going to be more of a end-of-chapter review because this chapter (and indeed, it seems this fic) are rather introspective. So my review may read a little different because there's less external action. But that doesn't mean I don't like it as much as Surviving This and Sacrifice Theory because I TOTALLY do.

Hey, I just realized - so there's Surviving This, Sacrifice Theory, Subtle Threat, and Solitary Trial. What's with the ST-theme? You like Star Trek? 'Cause I totally do.

Anyways...

so I love how Lex is feeling sort of lost in Limbo after everything that's happened. Again, we talked about realism in my reviews for previous installments. Well, here is the realism. A friend of mine was in a play called A Piece of My Heart, which was about nurses in the Vietnam War, and that was something they talked about in the play - how the nurses came back from the constant pounding adrenaline hell of Vietnam and everything seemed so surreal and distant and kind of vague once they were out of that situation. So it's interesting and cool (in an objective reader way) that you have it here. I mean, obviously it sucks for Lex, but you know what I mean.

And how she isolates herself. That's common for people who have experienced trauma (and she definitely has). It doesn't help that the one person who really understands her (up to a point, anyway) just up and left her to go back to his planet. I wonder what he's been doing this whole time. Trying to convince his parents to let him take her as a mate? Or convincing his hunting master or whatever? Interesting idea.

It also makes sense that the idea of Scar's return both scares and excites her. She loves the guy, but his return to her life means... well, bad things in terms of injuries and pain and such. So it totally makes sense. But she does love him, and so her overall choice to go with him is also realistic.

I love the final line - "You found me." It kinda reminds me a bit of Kill Bill (where Beatrix, the MC, says to Bill, "How did you find me?" in this fond but resigned voice; only not so depressing, since Scar's not going to shoot up Lex's wedding and put her in the hospital with a bullet to the brain).

Does she EVER learn yaujta?

SouzouWriter chapter 3 . 1/29/2012
I only got one word to say-

!
Transformers' BABY chapter 3 . 12/6/2011
GREAT STORY!
Atira chapter 3 . 10/6/2011
Beautiful
Vaako chapter 3 . 8/1/2011
Intriguing! Better written scene than most by far! Good job. I love your take on things.