Reviews for Brothers at Heart
Mikkalea Luna chapter 26 . 1/5
Hi,

for me, reading your story felt like filling a missing part of my Middle Earth history. The Dunedain seemed always very interesting to me, but in the books there are only small glimpses...
I don't know how much research you did for this story, but I think it must have been quite a bit. To me everything felt very realistic and well thought through.
And I love your portrayal of Aragorn, the way he was slowly growing into his role.
In short: I loved this story and I'm sure I will read it again!
Analon chapter 5 . 8/24/2014
I seem to be finding exceptionally good LOTR fics to read today, all from a specific community. I would read this story cover to cover if I had the time. Right now though, I find that I have little time to devote to fanfics. But I find this work especially worth the time as not only does it give me the enjoyment of living in Tolkien's world, experiencing the fabled Dunedain, getting to know Aragon's family, but also serves as an excellent build of charecter. Works such as these, that focus on day to day life and social interactions, and matters we consider trivial and take for granted, underline the importance of human interaction that seems to be more and more on the decline. Reading about life in middle earth makes me wish that I was a member of such a community. Even knowing the risks of it, those lives seem to be worth living, with each having a clear purpose. A land where most men are honourable. Yes, it is wishful thinking, but your work has so deeply immersed me into Tolkien's word that I doubt I would surface from it any time soon. I am not a native speaker of English, nor am I well versed in English literature enough to make authentic critisism or praise, and I'm well aware that more than a few grammatical errors have crept into my sentences as I try to impress you with exceptionally long sentences, but I have to say that from my viewpoint, at least, your work lies atleast very near to Tolkien's standard, if not on par with it. This is a gem that should not be described as just a 'fanfic', as it involves as much effort from you as an author as it does from an author for original fiction. However, I would like to summarize my point to two words.

You rock.

I hope, someday, to be a writer as good as you.
AmazingWriter123 chapter 26 . 11/12/2013
This was an amazing story about a pair of friends who really are "immortal."
All your original characters had extremely interesting characters and I am especially fond of Gilost, Faelon and Balrant.
AmazingWriter123 chapter 5 . 11/9/2013
This is an amazing story and I think you have done a wonderful job with the characterizations.
Noleme chapter 26 . 11/17/2012
Definitely one of the best fanfics I have read of late. I'd be curious to read the post-war story you mentioned, should you ever start writing it.

Here's a few things that stood out for me in the best way, and that contribute to me considering this fics much better than most Tolkienverse fics-

- the research that went into this, both on the canon facts and on what life would have been like back then.

- the characterisations which are ivery/i well developed, and seamlessly complement the book ones. I could even glimpse the beginnings of the character development that will lead to "I don't see why Théoden's wish should be more than that of Isildur's heir" (paraphrase mine... painfully obviously) much later on. /Okay, I admit it - my set of fave characters is different from yours for the most part, and Aragorn isn't among them, though you write him really well and fairly likeable. But he just isn't my cup of tea, with the attitude and temper he has in the books./

- realism - you don't go into every single detail, and leave some things vague and unanswered, such as the puzzle that the lonely Dolomar guy is (Durion? I can't recall his name now). Most fics I've read behave like crime novels in this aspect - as opposed to real life, small details such as the one above prove important later on. So in this aspect this was a pleasant deviation from mainstream.

- overall style and book-like dialogues. I loved the eloquent language of the books, so I'm always overjoyed to see fics reflecting it. Unoriginal (as modern-language-fic backers say) or not, I can relate the fic to the books more easily if it follows the style of the dialogues, and I feel I can much better admire a character who speaks like that.

- respect and hierarchy. It's just missing way too often from fics, with the characters behaving like chums even if they're on different positions of social hierarchy. Thank you for all the 'lord's and the non-modern portrayal of women (quiet-spoken, meek... It's quite rare to come across these characteristics in Tolkienverse fics, and yet I don't doubt your portrayal is correct and what JRRT himself had in mind for most Middle-earth females.)

- the subtle transition from 'Estel' to 'Aragorn' as he leaves the Bree gate. I almost missed it, but loved it when I realized what you probably tried to accentuate there.

Now for a few things I had issues with-

- misplaced or missing commas, quite a number of them. Very distracting, and sometimes I had to read a sentence several times to make out the meaning because of the ambiguities this causes.

- modern-sounding language and terms interspersed in the canon-following, high-style language on a couple of occasions, which "sort of" (yes, that's one of those expressions) sounded odd standing next to much more archaic utterances. Out of those, "protein" stuck out like a sore thumb for me, as I really can't see Middle-earth characters assigning chemical names to substances and researching them scientifically. Tolkien's feedback from The Letters on Zimmerman's description of waybread comes to my mind at this point.

- a few matter-of-taste things though I admit I have never made too much historical research, e.g. the men not propping their swords against the wall during the welcome feast but sitting with swords at their belts, apparently (wasn't it considered ill manners back then to sit at the table armed without need? IDK).

- last but actually foremost because it was there every now and then and I kind of cringed every time I came upon it - the word 'Dúnedain' used as a singular and as an adjective. I swear this has got to be the most frequent grammatical mistake ever in Tolkienverse, and I wonder why. There's just one instance of this in Tolkien's work to my knowledge, and that one appears to be a mere slip because it just makes no sense and violates what we know of grammar, both English and Sindarin. I suggest using 'of the Dúnedain' or if it absolutely needs to stand in front of the noun, then 'Dúnadan' (following the example of DrúADAN Forest, not *DrúEDAIN Forest), because using the plural form would equal a person saying e.g. 'ItalianbS/b village' or 'EnglishmbE/bn blood'.

Overall though, great job! I like reading about the Rangers, and I'll be looking forward to a future fic with them if you decide to return to writing.
sidh chapter 26 . 10/14/2012
I started reading and couldn't stop. This was incredible, you made all the characters come to life. I love this view os Estel's life with the Rangers and your story line had me up until three in the morning trying to finish.

I hope you are inspired to continue, you have a true gift.

sidh
An Author's Pen chapter 26 . 8/10/2011
This story was so well done, it managed to show Estel becoming used to leading the rangers and it also introduced so many interesting OCs and gripping plots.

I was wondering if you would consider writing about Aragorn's coming to Rohan and serving in Gondor. Once again he would have to fit in and strive to be accepted except he isn't their returned chief but a foreigner. I think you could pull it off and create a amazing story that everyone would appreciate so please, please, consider it!
Lady Artemist chapter 26 . 7/4/2011
I enjoyed your story immensely. Your characters were all well defined and you explored their situations and problems really well. I thank you for the read :)
Amy M. Black chapter 11 . 4/17/2011
Hi. I have been reading your story for the past week, and even though I wanted to finish it to write a general review, I must say I love it, for now at least. Your portrayal of Aragorn is well kept in character, and his relationship with Elladan and Elrohir is very believable. I also like seeing him deal with his new responsibilities and a serious challenge such as moving that many people out of their homes. And of course I enjoy his scenes with Halbarad. I'm very upset because Peter Jackson left the Dúnedain out of the movie, so I'm glad you wrote this. You don't need encouragement to finish the story, but let me say it's a wonderful piece of writing and that I'm enjoying it very much.
Incoming Grapefruit chapter 26 . 3/18/2010
A truly unique and inspiring tale! A friend recommended it to me, and I've just spent the past few hours reading this from start to finish - there wasn't a single chapter that disappointed me! Your characterisation was brilliant, particularly with Aragorn. I can't tell you how comforting it is to have the future king of Gondor portrayed in such a realistic light, to see his uncertainty at the prospect of leading his people at such a young age. You made him HUMAN, which is a thing rarely achieved by authors who focus specifically on his character in a multi-chaptered fic.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the friendship form between Halbarad and Estel, and the final few chapters were particularly rewarding - I admit that I am a fan of well written hurt/comfort, so despite Halbarad's pain and Aragorn's guilt, the whole poisoned-wound situation was quite thrilling! :)

Thanks for the read!

Peace and blessings,

Ruth x
Mrs. Inkwell chapter 5 . 3/10/2010
This is simply fantastic so far! An original and inspired look at the life Aragorn lead after he departed from Rivendell. Your characterisation is brilliant, and I love the depth of Aragorn's personality. It's beautifully written, I fear I have fallen in love with your writing already. I look forward to reading the rest of the tale when time allows it. My sincerest thanks for taking the time to write such a wonderful story for us.

xox
Blueberry chapter 4 . 11/26/2008
Great story so far!

Though I noticed that as Faelon tells them what to do with those orks at the rocks that he calls Aragorn by name. Have you perhaps forgotten there the lord?
Ranger of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 10/4/2008
this was nice. a little more physical description of the Characters, their clothes, and their weapons would be welcome, but the rest is really good!
the lycans chapter 1 . 6/5/2008
The first time I read this story it was wonderful; the second time it is even better. Please write a sequel and if not a sequel then a one-shot of anything. Showing Elrond's reaction after seeing his son after his time with the Dunedain or Aragon's time as Throngil. Your writing is Brilliant and I'd love to read more.
FireChildSlytherin5 chapter 26 . 5/31/2008
Great great story! :)

Can't wait for the Seguel of this story.