Reviews for True Joy
Smooth Flying chapter 1 . 5/22
Can Pokémon get colds?
ONNMT chapter 1 . 8/8/2014
Remarkable.

I do enjoy slice-of-life work, moreso when they're told from an alternate perspective. I think that this is the most accurate representation of Nurse Joy that I've ever seen, even considering the cheerful canon character herself. I can see that you went in deep with the psychological delving, and the result does your efforts justice - even the ending holds a bitter note, but it is still glazed with a sheet of "but this is what I have to do, so I'll do it"; Nurse Joy's, I assume, have no choice, either, and that tone carries throughout the piece... It's rather selfless in a way, wouldn't you agree? Despite how they're practically forced into the word, all of their ranting doesn't affect their work and they continue on regardless.

Thank you for this, really; I feel as though, with this influence, anyone wanting to portray Nurse Joy will have a more down-to-earth view on her, especially any authors who are focussing on a Realistic!AU.

Good job :)

-ONNMT
SarcasticallySatyrical chapter 1 . 2/23/2014
Thought-provoking. Nice.
StrawberryDuckFeathers chapter 1 . 3/26/2013
Wow, very interesting idea! The Nurse Joys always look so jolly, but their job is extremely difficult, so myabe they're not feeling so happy on the inside. I like this outlook. :) I like how you've made their name completely contrast with their actual feelings. :)

I really like how she feels like no-one seems to appreciate her work, too. They take her food, give her a simple 'thanks' and move on, seemingly not that bothered about the effort that Nurse joy puts in to healing others' pokemon. :)

I'm not sure if you intended this, but the 'work our tails off' seems to come across to me as if Joy sees herself as some kind of an animal, which gives her a dehumanising, potentially then giving her a slave-like quality. :)

It's cool how she does enjoy helping people out, but at the same time, it seems she is worried that it'll make her go crazy, especially seeing as no-one seems to appreciate her work. :(

It's really sad that she has to put on a happy face, just to please everyone else around her- not that they'd give a second thought as to what her life must actually be like. :(

I like that part at the end, too, where she's had to rush off. It really does prove all of her points.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Sorry, but I have no critique/suggestions for this piece.

This was a really interesting outlook, and the way you conveyed her feelings was amazing. Keep up the good work! :D
Guest chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
...Food does grow on trees.
I always did wonder how Nurse Joys could be so happy all the time, though. In the anime there's so many, all of which seem busy all day long. Then there was the one who had nobody ever stop by and hated her life.
I like the sarcasm and such though.
pyr0technic chapter 1 . 6/16/2011
Who knew the other side of Nurse Joy...
sma erDnIy lnO chapter 1 . 2/1/2011
oh...my...um...AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH...ok i hate to say it but...this is kinda HILARIOUS...heehheh...whoever new nurse joy could rant like that...ahahah...good story good story...ahah
Keeper of Fatestones chapter 1 . 9/8/2009
I doubt anyone really sees the plight of the Joys. I know I never did... Your stories are really insightful to a lot of underlooked parts in the Pokemon world
RhythmicRhapsody chapter 1 . 8/9/2009
Great job
kgeesy chapter 1 . 12/19/2008
LOL I love that story! Good god I would probably be driven crazy too, now that I think of it O_O I need to be extra kind the next time I go to a pokecenter in my pokemon games XDD And I'm sorry about my rudeness in The Perfect Punishment. It just kind of weirded me out O_o
Tigeress-Jayde chapter 1 . 11/12/2008
well all b like that one day
PG Palmer chapter 1 . 8/24/2007
Wow. This aspect of a Nurse Joy's life never occurred to me. Now I'll never be able to go into a Pokemon Center without thinking of this story.
Cranihunt chapter 1 . 9/17/2006
I'll never look at a Nurse Joy the same way again...

Bravo, I love disturbing one shots like these.
Liagiba chapter 1 . 7/25/2006
Love that last line. Good job!
elliott ashes chapter 1 . 3/20/2006
This is a great one shot! I really like your writing style, you have a way of making a strong impresion with your last line. Short, but still a great insight into the character.