Reviews for Winter's Waiting
donna79 chapter 5 . 8/10/2006
I feel like I'm annoying you by leaving you three messages in four hours. But I really do like this. I like that you dug deeper into their relationship. And I have a thing for kids too. I have two nieces and four nephews. With another nephew on the way. I enjoy spending time with them. They tell me I'm their favorite aunt. I get to be a kid again when I'm around them. I'm constantly watching movies with them. They've never seen Newsies though, I can never find it on when I'm with them. I really need to buy a copy of it huh? Okay, my ramblings done. Great, great job.
skittery's bad mood chapter 5 . 3/8/2006
this was an awesome story...very visual and very well written. Dude...so great. Thanks for the review by the way :).
inactive and all stories delet chapter 5 . 2/10/2006
an UPDATE!

*spazz*

your description of Specs is quite drool-worthy. that's my it's-Friday-and-I've-been-reading-freaking-Spenser-all-week way of saying excellent job.

yay. sad that it's over, but it was very entertaning.

(as far as the "standing by one another in the movie," that would be partially how Sputchy came about :D there's also a specs-skittery-dutchy moment in CTB XD;;

yeah. done now.

you make me want to write more sputchy.)
pennylayne chapter 5 . 2/9/2006
Aw.

Beautiful.

I'm so sad it was ending.

The term "Spittery," however, disturbs me a little and seems like it'd be used to describe a baby with digestive troubles. Lol. But it's a wee bit cute.
Rustie73 chapter 5 . 2/9/2006
As always, this chapter was wonderfully written and expertly depicted.

Your attention to detail is outstanding.

This story was a pleasure from start to finish.

I didn’t want it to end, but I love the way it ended.

(And I agree with you about the Skittery/Specs connection in the movie. They were together in almost every scene.)

Thanks for giving us a great story!
DeeSarrachi chapter 5 . 2/9/2006
I was given a link for this from Geeky (probably becasue she knows how much I love slash, Skittery, and Specs!), and she said I'd love it, and oh man, did I ever! Your Skittery is so right-easy to tell he's not just a pessimistic cynic, but has bad days like everyone else. And your Specs is so...Specs-y. Just the way I think of him. The subtle hints of Spittery (which is a name I adore, by the by), and how it's notquite really slashy, but could so easily be read as such is just like all the significant glances and little bits of boytouching in The Movie itself, so, yeah.

Loved it!
studentnumber24601 chapter 5 . 2/9/2006
Please forgive the lump review for the whole thing; I started reading it just now and when I tried to review the first chapter, the stupid pop up box wouldn't load, and I got too impatient wanting to know what happened, so I continued instead of trying to reload it. Bad me.

This is so good, though.

I love the little details (I could tell you'd read the Jacob Riis book, heh) that make it feel true to the time period. The only thing that struck me as being historically inaccurate was him having a pack of cigarettes - I'm not positive on this, but I believe cigarettes were still hand rolled one at a time at that point. (On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I learned that from the internet, and we all know how accurate that is.)

I love the idea of just following a newsboy through a day, and Skittery was a good pick for that. I love the observations he had on the other boys (especially one in particular about Blink and Mush in the first chapter; I'll let you guess which, heh). You really seemed to capture the way the characters in the movie act very well - not just personalities (though you've got those nailed) but the little things they do. The way they goof off in the background, the way they interact with one another, the games they play, the chaos of the lodging house, etc. It gave me great mental images that matched the movie world exactly. And it was seriously fabulous.

I love the building of Skittery's frustration. The little things just buildig and building - his repeated head scratching, for example. And his love of little girls; that was brilliant. Poor guy. He really just needed a break.

And the last chapter was... wow. I mean, wow. I love all of his interaction with Specs, though the whole thing; but Specs's bad day in this chapter was brilliant and heartbreaking. All of his background and the slurs and all... He needs a hug. Perhaps from Skittery, in fact. *cough*

Your Jack was... interesting. I love Jack and it always makes me sad to see him written as someone who's a jerk, but he definitely does have that side to him and I think you wrote him really well; very in character and accurate to the movie. (So that was not a criticism at all, just a note about my preferences.) Leaving the confrontation between him and Skittery unresolved was also very well done.

I am in love with the end of this fic. I love how things with Specs are... *interesting* and he doesn't know how. I have my suspicions, as you can clearly tell and strongly implied. ;) And I'd say it's got enough of a slashy vibe that if you want to submit this fic to the Refuge, you'd be welcome to (and certainly, if you write any Spittery - or other slash, for that matter - given your stellar writing thus far, it seems like that would probably be accepted at the Refuge as well). The only problem with the end is that the very last line seems a little awkward for tense; the 's certainly could be "was" and not "is," but it feels like it switches to present tense for just that line. But the line also has a pretty big impact and gets its point across, so I certainly have nothing to complain about.

Anyway, as I think I've probably gotten across by now, this fic is beautiful. I will definitely be adding it to my recs list, the next time I update it. And making all my friends read this, as well. Because it's awesome.
Arlene2 chapter 5 . 2/9/2006
First off, let me say that was incredibly well written. You gave us just enough detail and it was clearly researched( something which makes my heart dance.) It was believable, dark and humorous, realistic, identifiable and such a great character piece. I feel I know Skittery after reading this, where I didn't know him at all before. It's so clear that Skittery feels at odds with the world around him.

It didn't read as slash to me, maybe pre-pre-slash if anything. I think though, because it seems so focused on his character, it's almost better to leave that for another story. I like how we're so wrapped up in his feelings. To introduce such a major element I think would have taken the story away from Skittery. So good call.

REALLY. Really. Nice.
GeekOnDisplay chapter 5 . 2/8/2006
Did you hear that? That's the sound of me melting away into a puddle. Seriosuly, that was *perfect*. I love all of it. I like how Specs can tell stories but Skittery's not so good. I like the histories you made for them and Specs muse can totally be Jewish (a topic I'm grappling with too, you prolly notcied haha). I like how Skittery hates Jack. Your interplay between the characters is believable and natural. And the balance between humor and sadness is so true to life that it makes me want to cry with joy. *sniff*

But I especially love the little details, like Specs's nervous routine at the beginning and the descriptions of how all the boys were acting back at the lodgehouse. And how you keep details about Skittery's mom from us, too, because those are just for him. How Race wanders away at the thought of Skitts beating someone up _

And the symbolism of the glasses, how Specs was exposed when he removed them and how Skittery tried them on, is so well thought out and just subtle enough so that I feel smart for ahving found it... unless, of course, I'm reading into them way too much and you didn't mean for that at all _

And if all that weren't enough, the ending is very calm and left me with a sense of closure, but also of hope.

Bravo!... Encore! More Spittery is always good. (hehe love the name)

Now I'm going to find people and tell them to read this because there are so few on this site that are up to the same caliber :D

Geeky
inactive and all stories delet chapter 4 . 1/28/2006
I am definately a fan of this story. Skittery's great and I think you've nailed his character.

I also really liked your descriptions of Specs. The fangirl in me is very happy :)
Rustie73 chapter 4 . 1/28/2006
This is a wonderful story and I don’t want it to end.

Specs with all those locks of hair falling in unkempt curls is taking such good care of Skitts.

It looks as though my observation in chapter one was correct.

I am eagerly looking forward to the next (albeit last) chapter.

I hope you don’t let anyone recognize Skitts from the fight. He deserves a nice quiet night out.
Rustie73 chapter 3 . 1/27/2006
Again you gave wonderful descriptions of the smallest details.

I’m sorry to see that you are only planning one or two more chapters.

I am really enjoying this story.
Rustie73 chapter 2 . 1/27/2006
This is developing into an excellent character piece.

The way you describe the small details surrounding Skittery is impressive.

Reading of his encounter with the “Newspaper Man” made me cringe.

I was scratching more that Skitts after that one!

Wonderful chapter.
Rustie73 chapter 1 . 1/27/2006
Excellent attention to detail. The Dreyfus story was a great touch.

Also love the detail you gave in Skitts opinions of the other characters.

But what’s this?

“But there was something more to Specs that Skittery quietly admired, and he couldn’t quite put a word to it. It was just a feeling he got whenever he looked at him.”

Interesting . . . Very Interesting.

Great Work.
GeekOnDisplay chapter 4 . 1/27/2006
ah, nothing like a trip to the bar to make yourself feel better lol. but seriously, I love how Skittery snapped. he makes a good rebel with (without?) a cause. I'm glad you brought a few more other newsies in, it shows that he has some awesome friends.

I have no idea how you're going to end this, so I can't wait to see what you decide to do. really, you're keeping me on my toes. there were so many times I thought I knew what you were going to do, and then you totally surprised me. which is rare and, therefore, really cool.

only one more chapter? really? well, ok, I guess I can allow that :D