Reviews for Schools of Thought
Shalhevet chapter 1 . 8/22/2013
Whatif whatif whatif whatifwhatif...

Really great writing, even greater concept, Well done!
duj chapter 1 . 9/11/2010
Very well-written and characterised. As it turns out in canon, Dumbledore surely didn't mean Karkaroff's personal good, but only to use him up as he did others. Still, perhaps he would have lasted longer, and would at least have had the satisfaction of striking a blow against the leader he had misguidedly chosen in his youth.
deleted2012 chapter 1 . 1/8/2010
This was absolutely amazing. The characterisation of both Igor and Dumbledore was very well done. A character such as Karkaroff is much disliked and it is rare to see any Fanfiction about him, let alone one like this. Your descriptions are well chosen and spot on... over all, this is among the best I have read. I love the writing style and everything else as well.

x Smaginn
tragicomedy chapter 1 . 7/6/2008
Oh wow. Characterisation was totally spot on and your writing style is so brilliant. I could totally see this scene fitting in as a missing moment. Great job! )
toujourspurPAL chapter 1 . 4/27/2008
All hail Durmstrang!
Cuban Sombrero Gal chapter 1 . 11/28/2007
Firstly, I adore the descriptive prowess you've shown here. You've given the whole scene a mood, just by using the small phrases like "claw-footed desk" and "creating Galleon-sized patches of rainbow." Your attention to detail, making sure it's reminscient of JK Rowling's world and not just of two characters, sitting either side of a desk, are brilliant

I also adore the way you've portrayed Igor, with the little we see of him in canon, most of which is from Harry, who's slightly biased when it comes to supposed Death Eaters, writing him is always going to be a challenge. "Nothing capped the anger in his voice now; it frothed over, spilling into his livid countenance and clenched fists." - This line in particular strikes me as very well characterised, Igor's always struck me as an angry person who struggles to control his emotions.

“Lord Voldemort does not qualify as a private matter, Igor.” - Woot, go Dumbles is all I can say here.

"Neither of them remarked on the irony of this." - I'm probably just missing something blatantly obvious here, but I can't really see the irony of this. Care to explain?

The line about handshakes was brilliant, I like the way you've taken such a little gesture and used it to show exactly how much has changed.

*grins*

I'm definately favouriting this, because, like I said, I don't think I've ever seen a Karkaroff fic before, and not only that, but this is amazingly well written and incredibly unique. )

Cuba
David Fishwick chapter 1 . 11/3/2007
Good piece and i liked how Karkaroff is scared of his former master Voldemort comming back. Maybe a conversation like this did take place between Dumbledore and Karkaroff. I liked the ending between Phineas and Dumbledore. Thanks for a well written story.
RebeccaRoy chapter 1 . 10/21/2007
Wow, that was brillant, if only, if only that could have happened...
kimm525 chapter 1 . 6/19/2007
I'm embarrassed to say this is the first HP fanfic I've ever read - they certainly can't all be this good, can they? :) I thought your characterizations were excellent and if the books weren't so focused on Harry this would fit in perfectly! Thanks for sharing this lovely piece.
SuGaRLiLy chapter 1 . 5/6/2007
I loved this. I've been searching around the site for some good fanfiction and trying to find refuge from the Mary Sues that seem to be overrunning many of the stores, and I happened to stumble upon this. I was hesitant to read this at first, just based upon the length, but I'm very glad that I decided to click on it and read.

The thorough description you opened the story with was simply beautiful. It was the perfect introduction to draw the reader into the story. I feel that this truly is a 'missing moment' from the series in both its form and content.

Your characterizations were superb and extremely accurate. Dumbledore's dialog, particularly, was amazing. You wrote all the characters with an extreme amount of depth and care which really comes through to the reader. The interactions between characters seemed natural, and the conversations were fluid and didn't seem forced at all.

Your choice of topic was original, as I haven't seen very many pieces about Karkaroff on this site, and I certainly haven't read any as good as this. The premise is plausible, and it was refreshing to read a piece about an often-neglected character.

Your narrative tone was clear and I liked your writing style very much. It's reminiscent of JKR herself. You captured the humor of it very well, while still maintaining the serious tone of the discussion Karkaroff and Dumbledore were having. Diction, syntax, description- it was all superb. Job well done- and I can give no higher praise than that!
Calger chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
Thank you for writing this, I've been hard-pressed to find good Harry Potter fanfiction recently, so I'm very happy I found this story. JK has left so many little holes in time to explore, and I've always wondered about Kararoff's disappeance at the end of book 4. It's a pity he didn't choose to join the Order of the Phoenix in the end...or did he? That might be an interesting follow-up story to this one. I loved your characterization in here, and all the fine details really brought Dumbledore's office to life. A fantastic job overall, I'll be adding this to my favorites. Thank you for sharing!
fetch-thranduilion chapter 1 . 10/19/2006
Reading Dumbledore in here was like reading the actual book. Seriously. You capture the writing style and characterizations so well!
Bagge chapter 1 . 10/16/2006
I dare say that one of the largest reasons for Dumbledore to organize the tri-wizard-cup was to have this very meeting. Really well written story, who caught the personalities of the three headmasters perfectly. I loved Phineas' part.
Jobey in Error chapter 1 . 7/3/2006
Argh, this is *so bloody good*. I nearly die of jealousy rereading it. Dumbledore, Karkaroff, and Phineas are perfect, especially in their interactions to each other (no mean feat): '“If you say so, Phineas,” Dumbledore said dismissively.', and 'I am glad to see that he is so sorely mistaken.”“He is *damnably* mistaken.”', and '“You may go, Igor,” Dumbledore said quietly. “But if you ever tire of worrying alone, you will find me more receptive than Severus.”' (I'll bet) are among my favorite lines. You make them sound more authentic and British and canonical than I or anyone I've ever read who's tried them can ever hope too. Just sheer brilliance.

I'm not wild about the very last line, standing alone as a paragraph and trying to act like a clincher when it's just a wee bit too weak too. Of course, this is also highly subjective, and I wouldn't be surprised if other people especially praised the last line. The thing I'm less eager to comrpromise on is the beginning, though again it is very subjective to be so tired and annoyed of picking up the Rowlingish habit of staring off with weather-settings! If it were me I'd simply sail in from the third paragraph on, and ditch the first two.

But my bosiness about the opening and closing aside, the middle was just pure genius. It's going on favorite stories. And, you know, it's probably going to be reread at least once a month.
Just-Another-Fic-Writer chapter 1 . 5/17/2006
Very good, you seem to grasp both characters very well, I felt as though I were reading Rowlings work, very well done, I hope to read more of your work soon.