Reviews for A New Appreciation
kenkaoinukags chapter 4 . 4/6/2008
hahahahahahah. thats funny
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 4 . 4/16/2006
Poor Kenshin! He realy is in quite a predicament. His fellow Ishin Shishi compatriots will NEVER let him live this one down in a million years.

Yamashi is my favorite OC so far. I like the way she treats Kenshin like an anemic grandchild who needs to be stuffed with food. The part where she hauls him out of the bath by his hair is priceless.

I really liked the way you began the story by giving Kenshin a wound. It was a good reminder of his mortality. He CAN be hurt, (not to mention utterly humiliated) and it set the tone nicely.
Switchblade237 chapter 4 . 4/8/2006
Ooh... I can tell this one'll be good... can't wait to read more!
openwindow chapter 4 . 4/7/2006
GGYAH! UPDATE THIS FIC ASAP!UPDATE UPDATE!

PLZ UPDATE ASAP!

btw, this is SO going on my favs list now!
openwindow chapter 3 . 4/7/2006
WUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! THIS IS FRIGGING HILARIOUS!
misaoshiru chapter 1 . 3/23/2006
P-chan, I'll make you a deal. If you finish up the next chapter, I'll post a new chapter of SiSF or Chosen. Your choice. So the sooner you get chapter four done, the sooner you get a new chapter from me. I'm not saying you should rush it. I'm just saying...umm...work on it. XD
White Rabbit Tale chapter 4 . 2/27/2006
Interesting chapter, I especially liked the interaction between Katsura and Kenshin (again.) However, I think Katsura comes off as a little comical, always cracking jokes, and that is not how I see his character at all. Plus, don't you think he'd be a little more grim, what with his lover being kidnapped?

I'm very interested to meet the girl who will be Kenshin's older sister in the okiya.

You have Kenshin's personality spot on for this point in his life-just the right amount of brattiness mixed with a hard, driven determination.

I'm also glad that you have done your research (or just innately know these things from birth!) about the topics you're adressing. Nothing bothers me more than a lazy, sloppy attempt to make a story about something the author is unfamiliar with. That's why I love google so much. :wub:

I liked the last line, it had the right amount of apprehension and humor.

However, I agree with TheBetanWerecat, that you shouldn't allow yourself to narrate your stories. I mean, lines like these, "Finally, words! It was almost as if a bright ray of sunlight had appeared, making a beautiful-

You know, I can’t even bear to write that. Katsura was happy to get some words out of the silent hitokiri, ok? Now, back to the story." are corny and unnecessary. Seeing some one say "let's get back to the story" IN the text of the story makes me groan a little.

Other than that, I love your style and your writing and can't wait for more.
Rurouni College Student chapter 4 . 2/27/2006
I really like this story. This one seems to have required some research. Makes it all the more interesting! Just so you know, this story has made my "interesting stories that I want to remember and find again" list.

This story has a very fluid flow to it. It also has good grammer, spelling, etc. as far as I can tell.

Please update soon.

RCS
TheBetanWerecat chapter 4 . 2/13/2006
Well, this is entertaining. I'm not quite sure you have Kenshin down pat yet, especially other's reactions to him, but you're not significantly OOC there that I can tell.

Your charming inn mistress is a hoot. I've actually met a couple people rather like her. The problems it causes trying to dodge some unsought favor or other, yes you have that perfectly.

One item; take yourself out of the story. The little author comments break the flow and distract the attention. Suspension of disbelief is important when reading fiction that will/does include stretching the imagination to take a known character someplace different. The author notes break the suspension by forcing the reader out of the story and into interaction with you instead. I know they can be, and a couple are, really funny but they do not move the story itself forward, only sideways.
misaoshiru chapter 4 . 2/12/2006
You know I love this chapter, but... What happened to the changes I made? *pout*
misaoshiru chapter 3 . 2/8/2006
Have I ever mentioned that I love your writing? You have an awesome sense of humor, and it definitely shows in this fic. I loved this chapter, and I've a feeling I'll enjoy what comes ahead. Don't be discouraged by the lack of reviews; it's a wonderful fic, and I'm sure your writing can only become more popular with time.
White Rabbit Tale chapter 3 . 2/4/2006
I knew it!

Yamashi was great as always. I love the old woman, what can I say?

I like the plotline of Ikumatsu being kidnapped. Very interesting, and I've never seen it before. Of course there are always women being kidnapped-but they are always women that Kenshin has a bond to. I like the idea of using /Katsura's/ woman as bait.

Katsura, by the way, seems to be IC as far as I can tell.

Katsura's plan for Kenshin has the right amount of humor and arduousness. I can't wait to see what Kenshin will have to do as a maiko.

Poor kid.
White Rabbit Tale chapter 2 . 1/29/2006
Hm I really like how this fic is shaping so far. And I totally and completely agree with your assessment of fangirl Japanese. It can be SO irritating, and it really just interrupts the flow of the story.

I really like the interaction between Kenshin and Yamashi. It's nice to see him interact with different people, and Yamashi is certainly a character.

I also really like the poetic way you describe Kenshin in the second-to-last paragraph. Very strong imagery.

However, I think the scene where the men are insulting Kenshin is a little over-done. He's very renowned and feared, as you mentioned, and I don't think those men are going to be taking any chances. We saw how fearsome Kenshin got when Iizuka teased him about Tomoe.

Other than that, you have Kenshin's characterization and mentality pretty much spot on in this fic. And that is very hard, because he's such a complicated person, especially back in the Bakamatsu.

I do wonder who the shuriken-throwing person was-not just anyone can injure Kenshin so easily.

I also like the sort of humorous angle you put on this-it's a dark humor, so I think it fits very well. I hate when people have random slapstick humor that is just not funny.

But for instance "he could gather hard-to-find information as fast as Hiko Seijurou could chug a jug of sake.

And that was saying something." I found that deliciously satirical.

Anyway, I've enjoyed these two chapters quite a bit and would like to see where else this goes in coming chapters.
Stella-neko chapter 2 . 1/29/2006
Yamashi-san was pretty funny. It'll be interesting to see where this story goes in the upcoming chapters.

Also, did the title of this change from the first posting? I vaguely remember seeing it at the time, and (unless I'm getting stories mixed up) I definitely like the new title better.
Jouko-chan chapter 2 . 1/28/2006
hello!

well I really like your story it's funny but it's serious at the same time. I get a ver very depressed state in Kenshin, was that your intention or did I miss-interpret? jeje well see you soon I hope!