Reviews for Harry Potter and the Manipulator of Destiny
Simianpower chapter 21 . 6/21
I said earlier that I liked what you did with the paintings. But in this chapter you took it WAAAY too far. The prior paintings were limited to inhabiting what was shown in the painting, whether it be a room or a house. In this painting you have lots of stuff NOT seen in the painting, including a hidden Hogwarts, and that's just stretching things too far.

When you introduce something stupid-powerful (like, say, time-stretching charms that make years into weeks) you have to have down sides. The paintings had built-in limitations in that there was only what was shown, and you've now removed that. If paintings were that powerful, then the wizarding world would all simply live inside them and never have to interact with muggles at all. You're trapped now by your own plot devices, and not extrapolating what the uses of them could be. It makes an otherwise decent story into a corny power-fantasy.
Simianpower chapter 17 . 6/21
So this is the chapter where it goes irrevocably AU. One horcrux, the destruction of which may or may not weaken Voldy. (Seriously, it's two paragraphs between you saying it does weaken him and it doesn't weaken him. Which is it?)

Speaking of AU... was this written before or after HBP came out? I thought horcruxes weren't mentioned until HBP. But Snape is still the potions prof for sixth year, so who's the DADA prof? In canon that's him, with Sluggy at potions. And in canon Fudge was out, Bones dead by this point. I'm confused as to how much canon you're using vs ignoring vs contradicting now...
Simianpower chapter 13 . 6/20
Two questions:

1) If occlumency training is such an intimate thing that it made Harry and Hermione "a couple" without the benefits, then what happens during training with Luna and Neville? Who trains who, and what effects are there? Nothing? That seems to violate what you have already stated. And if there is anything between trainer and trainee, it's not clear in the text. And it could have added something. Neville brother to Harry, Luna sister to Hermione, or something like that.

2) Harry only learned of Riddle's history in HBP, from Dumbledore. Since that's not happening in this story, how do they know all of that? This happens in a LOT of fics, where the authors know the information that the characters learn later, and don't bother having the characters actually go through the process of learning it.

Also, you keep using occlumency when you mean legilimecy. Occlumency gives you exactly zero information about another's thoughts or memories; all it does is protect your own. Please, at least use the words correctly! I get that this is fanfic, but that's just sloppy.
Simianpower chapter 10 . 6/20
I really like what you did with the wands. I've seen custom wand making in fics before, but always the standard wood and core. I've always wondered why they didn't use metals, stones, or biological materials and why all wands only had two components. The only variations I've seen have been multi-core wands in one fic, and that's just changing the number of the same thing. I had thought maybe individualized grips, insulating/focusing material inside the wand between the core and the outer material, and multi-segment wands with completely different materials and characteristics, but I've never seen any of that in fics. Your gemstone idea is a nice addition to that list.
Simianpower chapter 2 . 6/20
Oh, great, yet another "goblins are awesome and randomly love Harry and save him from all of his problems" story. They're better at magic, more numerous, have a deeper and richer culture... and yet are beaten all the time in rebellions and relegated to the status of bitter bankers anyway. I really hope that this chapter is an anomaly rather than the direction of the story.

Plus, legilimency is mind reading, occLumency (note the spelling) is mind protection.

One idea I did like was the crowded portrait. I haven't seen that before despite how may will-reading stories I've read.
terminator11216 chapter 1 . 6/20
loved it
SourYoyo chapter 28 . 6/15
thestrals have batwings, cuz you cant have bony feathers now cna yuo/

Sorry, I keep on getting mixed up!

Thestrals have bat-wings, because you can't have bony feathers, now can you?

-SourYoyo
daithi4377 chapter 1 . 6/7
Is Rons lack of friendship starting to blip on Harry's radar?
Jimbocous chapter 38 . 6/5
Thanks for a wonderful read! I hope you revisit the fanfic writing realm at some; you have a talent!
Nice!
The changing-into-a-dragon part sacked, but hey, the rest of mostly didn't.
I mean seriously ron and ginny are the bad guys. One can believe dumbledore to be manipulator but this is just tooo muxh and u made galleons seem like nothing. 1 million her and a 2 mill there. Last I knew 1 galleon was more then 10 pounds which will make 1million galleons like 10-20 million pounds.
whitebuffalowmn chapter 39 . 6/1
this is the third time I've read this and it never gets boring! thanks for writing it... its a fabulous story!
bedazzledmusic chapter 36 . 5/30
Glad there are still Two chapters to look forward to!
bedazzledmusic chapter 26 . 5/30
I like your storyline and your Harry! Super Harry or not!
bedazzledmusic chapter 19 . 5/30
Heck to the unintuitive readers!
4,957 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »