Reviews for A Choice of Words
Perfecto!
Anzu Brief chapter 1 . 5/7/2020
This is the most beautiful representation of A and H I have ever read. You take into account the culture, and keep away from making modern moral observations. I love how H doesn't care for A lovers, because he knows there are just that, lovers, while he is so much more. I love how you don't make H perfect. He was wrong, if he had a disagreement with C he should have deal with it privately, instead of attacking him in front of the army. Especially when the troops are two steps away from insubordination. A was right to reprimand him, but he chose the wrong words. I love how A is aware of this, but his pride prevents him from taking them away, at first.

The whole event felt so raw, so real. These two are established lovers going against their society's rules. They couldn't give up that part of their relationship. They are certain of what they are in each other's heart, but we are all human, and something human emotions like jealousy, pride, anger and possessiveness play tricks on us all.

I love the way you presented the conflict, I love how neither side was completely right not completely wrong. I love the building tension, and I love the resolution. It was just perfect. No other way it could have ended. I'm such a sucker for these two, and you have done them real justice. My congratulations.
ApolloXandos chapter 1 . 2/7/2019
I know there are several of these, and this is pretty good, especially for a first story. I read it after reading some of your others, where I think you let them get a little deeper (and thus, a little scarier). This is one event that has so many fraught layers. As you note, Hephaistion AND Krateros were both at fault for an issue of discipline. It really is about what Alexander said, and where. It might also be about the power of Krateros's faction, which probably had some of Parmenion's old faction, and did Hephaistion see Alexander as bowing to that and not standing up to Krateros even for Hephaistion, especially if this came *after* the mutiny? So lots of questions about what's going on here, depending on when it occurred. Then just the absolute perfectly ruthless cut to Hephaistion's public honor. That's going to be a knock-down, drag-out between them. A public slight to honor is HUGE. And it would take a public reaffirmation of his place to assuage it. Otherwise, Hephaistion is bleeding status and Alexander has completely compromised his ability to command-which is as problematic in its own way as two senior officers brawling in the first place. I know you have a follow-up, but I thought I'd throw out some initial thoughts.
Tendrebeatrice chapter 1 . 9/4/2015
Its a great story indeed, IN which I like everything : the style of writing, the synopsis and Howard the characters are depicted. I have read it several Times for pleasure
lhtlinda chapter 1 . 10/14/2012
Wasn't the ending too abrupt? Hephaestion wouldn't just compromise like this, his pride wouldn't let it,right? but great story though :D
endingofbehan chapter 1 . 12/19/2011
omg! i also just love Alexander's verison too!
Thessalonike chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
"It would seem that without you I am nothing." Great story, and loved Alexander's turning of his own words back on himself.
Dreaming-May chapter 1 . 10/23/2011
Man, I like Alex's side of the story too, I think this would be the best version on his nothing comment, even if yours are the only ones I've read. This is just so well-written!
InHateWithPeople chapter 1 . 1/1/2011
mm, great story, very angsty, i like it, cause it isn't just fluff
Greywithrain chapter 1 . 6/9/2010
...you know that as Alexander is Archilles to Hephaestion's Partroclus, that means that Hephaestion is the "eromenos" in the relationship, right?

I'm not sure if you switched it around deliberately or not. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason why you would need do that (except for personal preference). Personally, I figure the original way would actually make it flow better, make more sense, but it's your story.

Aside from that, love the psychological perspective. The internal struggle was brilliantly done. :)
Pls. Delete My Account chapter 1 . 4/28/2008
Absolutely amazing! Loved it and I couldn't stop myself from laughing when they got to yelling and letting thei pride in the way. Very realistic and loved it.
Anise chapter 1 . 10/20/2007
I find it heartbreaking everytime I hear those words because while Alexander was completely justified and had every right to reprimand both of them, it did seem to cross a line. I can't help but wonder if this was one of those times that Alexander cursed his temper and once out of sight wanted to bang his head against a wall. This was a really wonderful portrayal of the incident, the emotions that Alexander had to work through from his need to be in control as their commander and then wanting to give up all pride and just go to Hephaestion as his friend/lover was so well done-such an enjoying read :)
Joyeee chapter 1 . 6/18/2006
Oh, did Alexander really think a supper together was the way to smooth over the tension? Of course it would be slow torture! Poor him, he really tries. Thank you for representing his side of it so sympathetically. (After all, there was another explosion of temper in which he *killed* somebody ...) We "normal people" might think that a king gets his way naturally, but as you illustrate in the story there's no accounting for human emotion.

Although you use Alexander's perspective, fully presenting his side of it, yet you also present the complications for Hephaestion. For example, I do notice that Alexander thinks if he (the king) isn't upset with how other people view their relationship, then Hephaestion "certainly had no right to be!" when actually the names flung around are generally directed at Hephaestion. I wonder if anyone called Alexander any names, and what would happen if he ever heard of it. Of course, no one would dare call Alexander anything near a "bed-boy," much less the oldest one in the army!

I wish I could give you more concrete commentary on the conversation between Alexander and Hephaestion in which Alexander tries repeatedly to smooth things over - but when Hephaestion's ready to explain, Alexander's already in a towering temper again. But I can only say, it seems just what they might have said to each other - and not only the words, but the thoughts and actions and facial expressions. Same with the little history you give of how they tried to end the physical side of their relationship after Alexander became king, their individual ... discoveries after that (which really made me beam with pride for them, however dismayed they might have been - maybe a strange reaction on my part, but there it is), and of course, the tribute at Troy. And with the line that ended that scene with Bagoas. Perfect, just perfect, all of it!

But what really got me was the ending. Alexander apologizes - turning his own words back on himself - "It would seem that without you I am nothing ... nothing that matters, anyway." In other fics I've seen Alexander say something similar (not to mention in the movie) and it just doesn't seem *right*, to me, that Hephaestion would accept such a statement, no matter how angry he was - I'd imagine that such a line would competely smash through whatever barriers of resentment and anger he could put up, to think that he could cause Alexander to "lower" himself that way. And you capture it so perfectly here, the desperation and the rush of both forgiveness and apology. With others Alexander's fancy dinners and even his temper might have great effect, but after all, with Hephaestion, a little "give" on Alexander's part is so much more effective. Much more so than forcing people who had drawn swords on one another to sit through a supper together!

Bravo!
Del Rion chapter 1 . 2/17/2006
Excellent story! I must admit that it was only a while ago that I heard of this phrace: "Without me you are nothing". So I am curious to find out what happened... And so I stubled over your story ;)

No true explanation of the situation itself, but a great fic!

“Hephaestion, come here, and for Zeus’ sake look at me when I talk to you!” That line was so thrilling! It is so... I don't know, kingly, yeat so lika the Alexander I have used to see.
Ancient Galaxy chapter 1 . 2/15/2006
a rather abrupt ending, but good none the less ! I demand a sequel !