Reviews for The Roots of Violence
jazzmonkey chapter 1 . 10/5/2014
I love this story a lot. It really delves into an AU style piece that digs into Roy's past. I would love to see a future piece about Ed and Al finding out that Roy was there when Ed was born and probably knew their father or their father visiting and talking to Roy like an old friend. That would be great!

Anyway, good job, and keep it up!
edwardfiend chapter 4 . 5/25/2012
I love it. Poor Roy, what the man tried to do to him... and his own father selling him like that...it just boils the blood. Really great fic.
Me And My God Complex chapter 4 . 4/30/2006
I liked it. .
endormathom chapter 1 . 3/15/2006
A notorious author,this is the best I read about Roy's a classic Oliver Twist touch,you'll love this young and helpless Roy...
momiji-k chapter 4 . 2/22/2006
Wonderful!

I know that you are now on part 3 of this series, and the last thing a writer wants is a big workload, but... I really would like to see this series develop into an epic spanning all the way through and beyond the FMA series. :) Who knows, maybe that was already your intention.

Your writing just begs my curiousity about how his "Roots" affect him throughout the rest of the series. In your current story you are past Ishbal, I would love to see your interpretation of Ishbal it's self. I especially want to see what you would do with Roy and Riza and their "relationship" when it gets towards the end of the series (or past it).

Ok, sorry I get so long winded with my reviews. That always happens when someone inspires me. :)
momiji-k chapter 3 . 2/22/2006
Excellent!

So glad they were near the pond that night. _

Although it is reality, I am so glad he got away with a beating and not something much worse.

I really wish more people would post good quality stories like this one.
momiji-k chapter 2 . 2/22/2006
I was going to say how glad I was that he got away. Looks like I will have to keep praying. :(

This fic is so filled with realisim, it's just incredible. Once again I can't help but mention that I like the fact that you deal with issues that people don't like to think about.

I have to admit that the thought of these things happening to one of my favored anime guys is... unnerving. But it gives the actions a good dose of reality. If you feel strongly for the character it all the more makes you hate people like his Jarrad.
momiji-k chapter 1 . 2/22/2006
I can just see Roy as a cute 12 year old boy. I can imagine at that age he might look a little girly.

How sad this story is. Very full of detail and vivid images. I wanted to read this after reading you fic "That's Why They Call It Falling". So that I could get the backgroud. (It was really bugging me I didn't know about this Jenna person)

Hopefully some day soon Arawaka will reveal Roy's past, I just hope it isn't this tragic. Poor Roy has enough pain and suffering with the Ishbal war. :(

Excellent story. Your a great writer and I hope to keep seeing more FMA from you in the future!
TsukinoSora chapter 4 . 2/15/2006
Gah this is so good. I stand by everything I said in my last review. :)

Critiques... eh... I kind of wish you had gone into Ravensdale's character more, and the science of the transmutation, in the scene in chapter three. (But hey, that's probably just because I'm quite obsessed with chemistry...). Anyway.

The whole time I was reading chapter three, I couldn't help but think of the world in this bluish-grey colour... and then I remembered that this fic is for the colour series, which makes me respect you as an author even more. I definitely don't think I could do the same. . (Wow; you, Leni, and S J Smith could like... own the world with your fics...). This is great. And aw, you make me want to like cute little-kid Roy. The hints at pubescent, pre-semi-playboy Roy make me happy too. :) Everything is so good! Hehe, I think I'll go browse your fic selections some more. Thanks for the awesome read!
TsukinoSora chapter 2 . 2/15/2006
I should have reviewed this a long time ago, sorry. [This is SenshiAlchemist, btw]. Hope you don't hate me. Anyway.

You really leave me nothing to critique! The only thing I can say is that I GUESS you could use a bit more description of setting/sensory detail, but really, everything you have here is perfectly satisfying. Not much else to say there...

But as for praise... this is fantastic. You're able to draw so many emotions from the reader... the parts with Seth and Jarrad are utterly repulsive, (don't take that the wrong way!) and they make us feel for Roy so much more. It's hard to write a fan fiction with believable OC, and you have a wide range of them. Jenna is loveable while Roy's father is so hatable at the same time... it's a nice foil/juxtaposition.

The way you write is very real. I guess that's worded poorly... but I don't know how else to say it. You tie in parts that we know are to surface later in the series, making it very believable... and even at the sad ones, (like Hohenheim thinking of fatherhood... made me very sad, and him speaking of the Rockbells...ah), the dramatic irony works so much to your advantage. I also really like how you tie Roy's character to others - like, at the beginning, his being a sucker for cats made me think of Al, and when he drew the array out of blood, I thought of Ed. I can't tell you how much I absolutely detest Roy in the anime sometimes, but this makes me want to actually like him. Oftentimes I feel that the anime contorted and miscontrued all the characters in the manga... but the way you pay tribute to them here makes sense and is quite likeable. I think that all the ties you make between the characters is great, and thank God you do so because I didn't feel that the anime did at all sometimes!

So, in short, great job. I'm off to read the next chapter now. ;) Woot.
Roy-Fan-33 chapter 4 . 2/3/2006
Oh, wow. I just read this entire fic in one go, and it was amazing. You had a great vocabulary, really got into the characters heads, and you phrased everything perfectly. The plot was something new to me, and I absolutly loved it. Roy's character seemed so real, that I could picture everything about him, and the same goes for his father. Jarrad's character was very well built, that it amazed me. Normally, when a character is added into a story, the author has too much of a personal view of them, and they do not describe them enough in the fic, but you wrote for the better. Plus,you really know how to make a person hate someone...(It is sad it was only three chapters though...) Still, wonderful job on this fic. A true piece of art.

-Kay
silvrethorn chapter 4 . 2/3/2006
An excellent, if chilling, exploration of Roy's dark roots. The original characters are well-done and add much to the story.
Psycho Demon-Witch chapter 3 . 2/3/2006
please update soon!
Strumwulf chapter 1 . 2/3/2006
Good story so far. I like how you are portraying young Roy. Looking forward to more
the smiley bandit chapter 3 . 2/1/2006
Poor Roy, but so far not a bad story I'd like to see where this leads. _ keep it comin'.