Reviews for Our Purpose
Stefania Okazaki chapter 1 . 3/17/2012
I liked the fanfiction, especially the way you presented O'Brien. Also, the idea of 1985 instead of 1984 was amazing. thanks a lot for writing the story. :)
Delu chapter 1 . 11/23/2006
Powerful imagery and creativity with your views on Winston and O'Brien. I love the fact that you make him think the same lines over and over again, reliving his past as a reoccuring event takes place. And the similarities between Winston and Michael? Definately adds to the effect of the fiction.

But, there is something off about your grammar. You use a lot of comma's, and in place of some of those could be semicolons. It just flows easier when you use proper punctuation. And the repeating of O'Brien is a little over used, but I think that's how you meant it to be viewed.

But my favourite part of the story has to be the end. A new day, a new year, a new person filling in the blank pages of the book . . . it's most assuradly powerful in its symbolism.

Delu
TaketheVeilCerpinTaxt201 chapter 1 . 11/3/2006
I feel torn over your writing. On one hand, you display an appreciable amount of potential as a creative writer, but your command of the English language as a technical device seems immature. For instance, in the sentence “O’Brien will force himself to watch, he has already destroyed the mind, all that is left is the scattered ashes of a once bright flame,” you hamper your writing by constraining yourself to comma usage; semi-colons would have aided in punctuating your thoughts and dividing your subjects. Your subject-verb agreement could also use some work (said sentence: “all that is left are the scattered ashes…”).

This seems to occur often in many young writers: they harbor immense creative promise, but the control of grammar and mechanics are lacking. Art is magical and powerful, but without a firm grasp on the rules of that art, creative power is moot. You must effectively convey your emotions before you can be understood.

That said, you definitely have some interesting figurative imagery, and the content of your piece provokes thought. As soon as you can harness that English language more surely, I’m sure you will be a great writer
an-angel-in-hell chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
Ohmygosh. It's beautiful, just beautiful, and I love it, I love it so so much.
KipperMay chapter 1 . 3/8/2006
this is beautifully written. we just finished reading and analyzing 1984 in class and part of me always felt there had to be more to o'brien. i really like the direction you took him. also, i actually really like the ending-it's realistic, it fits with the novel and the characters and Orwell's style.

well done.
Pretty As Pink 16 chapter 1 . 3/2/2006
Aw that's so sad but so good! i love it!
mikkimikka chapter 1 . 2/23/2006
I really enjoyed this story! It was wonderful. O'Brien was my favorite character and my crazy mind at times went on Winston/O'Brien tangents so yay! hehe
lucky1313 chapter 1 . 2/20/2006
wow this is really good. i never thought of o'brien having a gay lover where winston reminds him of michael. you could get a new chapter about this and include o'brien's fight within himself. i mean, killing winston was like killing michael all over again. think of the possiblities!