Reviews for The Divine Accident of Life
ChudleyCanons chapter 1 . 3/8/2008
That was beautiful. Heart-wrenchingly sad, but beautiful.
sjowall1452 chapter 1 . 4/16/2007
To think this story is more than a year old, and I never read it! Lo9vely!
Vaoni chapter 1 . 10/21/2006
beautiful
Seom chapter 1 . 6/15/2006
wow... just... wow... nearly brought me to tears. That was awesome! I love it! *sniffle*
Ritz-Cookie chapter 1 . 3/21/2006
Just beautiful. The voice in the story sounded si much like Jack that it brought tears to my eyes. The metaphor of the bird was just perfect and I also loved the title. Great work
lizaboo chapter 1 . 3/15/2006
You've captured Jack's voice perfectly. I was close to crying when I finished reading your story. It's so short and yet, full of emotions, as heartbreaking as Annie Proulx's work.

"The divine accident of life", what a gorgeous idea.

Thank you so much for this.
MidnightBlue88 chapter 1 . 3/9/2006
I read this story a while ago when it was first posted, but didn't have time to review. I have time now, so here it is.

This is a really beautiful story. I can't see Jack saying those words (too poetic and articulate for someone like Jack, I think. Annie Proulx called Jack and Ennis "high school dropout country boys with no prospects"), but the sentiment is all his, and that's all that matters.

The metaphor of the bird in Jack's hand is so perfect. "Please stay." There is something very tender and hopeful about that, and I can see Jack saying those words. I also loved Jack's request that Ennis return to Brokeback. "You can bleed your agony." All of the descriptions were really heartfelt and powerful.

I think my favorite part of the story was the description of Ennis's feelings after the birth of Alma, jr. "You felt weightless even though this was truly the moment you were losing the wings." That whole paragraph was so tender and heartbreaking. I imagine that's how Ennis really must have felt when his daughter was born: panic and fear and adoration, all at once. Very good.

"It doesn’t matter what they do with my ashes - I’ll find my way back there to the place we both left ourselves behind so long ago, to make you and me us again." I love the way Jack spoke of Brokeback, as a place of hope and love and beauty. They did leave themselves there, didn't they? Lovely observation.

"But it’s all right. Now there are no words anymore." When it's all said and done, that's true. They don't need 'em. Great story. Thank you.
ninety6tears chapter 1 . 3/7/2006
It's funny how I sort of contributed to this because if I had never torn out that page (which floated around in my flute case for almost a year probably before I finally got around to getting it out and hanging it up), this fic wouldn't really exist. You may have still written the general idea of it, but it wouldn't be the same fic and the title wouldn't be as cool. I think it's interesing how the title seems to simultaneously refer to the birth of Junior as being a "divine accident", because Ennis knows it's a mistake and yet absolutely loves his daughters, so life is the accident, but in the other sense the divine accident is love. Anyway, that is what I was thinking upon my second reading of this lovely thing.

Bye.
jimjam chapter 1 . 2/10/2006
hi i like this story i hope u will do more keep doing it and i will keep reading good work x
Queen of the Badgers chapter 1 . 2/3/2006
This is beautiful. It really is. The imagery in this is amazing, I love 'You couldn’t feel the chains snaking up around you, binding you to the ground' - that IS exactly what happened when Junior was born. And your descriptions of Ennis as a little bird are very, well, sweet. I like your writing style - you've written Jack well and I can imagine him saying those short commands like 'Remember' and 'Listen'.

I admit, this is a rather disjointed review, and it may not make all that much sense, but - basically, I really like your depiction of Jack in this story, and it is all very well-written. I must go and find that short story now...

QoB
Spidersting chapter 1 . 2/2/2006
That sounded like Jack alright :)