Reviews for Darwin Looks Away
Dr. Colleen chapter 1 . 6/23/2010
"Reaper-tipping". Ok, seriously awesome. Oh Dean, you downplay so well.
TheKritty chapter 1 . 11/30/2009
This seriously blew me away!You gave a perfect characterisation of both of them - but especially Dean! - with this little story!

Phrases like:

"hey how come you look for things to really scare yourself with so you won't notice you're just scared to be alone"

"It wasn't fair that he didn't exist without someone to save. He didn't dig every hole, but he never complained when someone handed him the shovel. There were reasons he avoided introspection."

- they verbalised the things all fans are thinking and you captured Dean SO DAMN WELL! And you used great metapher to describe it all!

And oh the angst!

Believe me, I enjoyed reading this SO much!And I love your writing style!

Be safe and keep writing!

Nana56 chapter 1 . 10/11/2008
OMG! That last part was so Dean! I love it. Very Winchester. Go from some deep emotional stuff to drawing on his sleeping brother's face.

Really wonderful.
mouse8 chapter 1 . 8/31/2007
Lovely! Very true to character and the ending was hysterical!
MeShelly chapter 1 . 7/26/2007
Beautifully bittersweet; given the beginning, it took a suprisingly serious turn, but the Darwin Awards was a nice complement to the rest of the fic.

I love how you've written out Dean's recklessness. I have to admit that I was thinking along the same lines, *especially* sitting in a puddle while using a flash gun.

I also really liked the perspective that Dean is hurting Sam beyond simply making him worry-but possibly driving him across the Fine Line that becomes so important later, which makes it a great tie-in. "All their rules, for nothing, given the right circumstances...*Try not to make Sam a monster.*" Intense.

I think you've done a great job in making this conversation painfully honest between the two. Wow, there are so many issues dredged up, within the family and themselves personally. "...scrubbed too hard" covers it perfectly-everything feels so raw and tense at the end, that even the humor (the last line as well as all of the jokes/colloquialisms) sometimes seems sad and forced.

I really enjoyed reading this, and rereading it. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. - I found this while looking up the JATO legend; thought you might find it interesting.
bubblesquirt chapter 1 . 5/27/2007
"...I leave you alone for a couple of days, and you end up tied to a tree. As a sacrifice. A tree, Dean. And not even a very big tree. Kind of a decorative bush-tree." - Hahaha!

"You can quit throwing that at me anytime now," Sam snapped.

"You can quit throwing the soldier bullshit in my face anytime," Dean shouted, finger jabbing at Sam's chest again without making contact. - Aw.. Why are they fighting? Sniff..

"'Cause every time I have to run in and save your ass, I might mess up my hair." - Ohh Sam's hair...sigh...

"How am I supposed to stop!" Dean shouted, startling himself as badly as Sam. "It doesn't matter if you're twenty-two now. It won't matter if you're forty - and you will be forty - I go first. I go first, Sam! You tell me, how am I supposed to stop watching out for you? I don't know how to do anything else, I'm not built for anything else, I've been doing it or trying to do it since I was four, and then I'm supposed to just stop because it's not cool anymore and you're an adult and you've gone off to be Sam. You can't ask me not to be me, and that's all you do, and I'm sick of it. I tried taking care of Dad instead while you were gone, and that didn't work because he doesn't need me."

- Oh, my, God. I just realized how awesome you write Dean. You capture him and his feelings amazingly well.

Ha, great ending. I like how you mixed the angst with humor. But still tore at my heart to see the brothers fighting like that. Great oneshot!
Marvin is my Muse chapter 1 . 5/16/2007
What can I say...GREAT story, AMAZINGLY written confession by Dean, SPECTACULAR ending! The confession was the best though, very in character and DEAN.

Great story!

November'sGuest chapter 1 . 7/16/2006
I just read this for the first time today. You actually came recommended by someone else and so instead of delving into a long drawn out story, I decided to test the waters with a one-shot. All I've got to say is...brilliant. I loved it. It was so Sam and so Dean. I could see Sam's defiance and Dean's muscles twitching in his jaw the way Jensen portrays him.

Your characterization was spot on. Now I'm going to have to read another, and another, and another...well, you get the drift.
brighette chapter 1 . 5/26/2006
You hit on a lot of things I've thought while watching the show, but absolutely loved this part: "all you know how to do is take axes to doors instead of smashing the windows to get it. It's all axes with you, man." I have yelled at my TV because of this :)

Good job, enjoyed reading this one.
EggSalad chapter 1 . 4/15/2006
"A tree, Dean. And not even a very big tree. Kind of a decorative bush-tree."

I loved this. A serious talk that just *hurts,* but then you finished it off with the sharpie scene, which made me laugh out loud. You blended the humour and seriousness together very well. Awesome.
Janissa11 chapter 1 . 4/9/2006
Okay, I shouldn't be laughing, because this thing made me flipping CRY, but the SHARPIE! I mean, out of nowhere, I'm laughing my ASS off! Oh this is freakin' brilliant. The confrontation, the catharsis, the aftermath like a shared hangover, tense and brittle, and then - teh Sharpie-whammy.

You rock. Beautifully done.
X-parrot chapter 1 . 3/15/2006
"It won't matter if you're forty - and you will be forty - I go first. I go first, Sam!" - I could *hear* Dean saying these lines in my head, and you have no idea how much I enjoyed it. Wonderful.
Moon-Raver chapter 1 . 2/20/2006
Oh GAWD! You push and push and push and you KNOW Dean will explode! Nice. Very in-character! Even for something so emotional, which we know the boys are kinda bad at. Heartfelt. Honest. Very believible.

"I go first" Honestly one of the best lines from Dean I have read yet. Perfect.

""I promise to occasionally include you just before I piss off the locals," Dean said. "Or go sewer diving again, or reaper-tipping. That's all the catharsis I can handle in one day. Can I read my book now?" Dean said." Two comments, one Dean reading. Giving him a subtle new level. I can picture it easily. Two, REAPER-TIPPING? Funniest goddamned line I have read in a Supernatural fic to date! I LOVE IT! I'm still laughing! And will be for days! Reaper-tipping... *giggles*

Great Fic, Happy I read it. Thanks. Kudos.

carocali chapter 1 . 2/13/2006
Fantastic! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time! The door thing drove me nuts in Home! Just awesome! What a talent!

kimonkey7 chapter 1 . 2/4/2006
I was hoping there would be more Sam and Dean from you!

And I'm so not disappointed. Really great little piece, here, and the last bit made me laugh.

Keep it all coming.