Reviews for Old Soldiers Never Die
dhamann7878 chapter 1 . 12/3
That last sentence, summed up Harry's life
gginsc chapter 1 . 11/27
I love it! Great chapter. That last comment from Harry hit the mark.
Talonwalker chapter 26 . 11/16
Great story, I really enjoyed reading it, Thanks
Anon chapter 1 . 11/8
Interesting premise. I was hoping this would. E about Harry shooting Voldemort with a gun. The downsides of attacking a wizard with an non enchanted gun they could attack first and blow up the gun. The writing is decent. I think Harry's anger is in character but how did he suddenly have good skills with a gun only learning it from Uncle Vernan in one chapter? Why would uncle vernan give a family heirloom gun to Harry someone he hates even if he is going to kill bad wizards or those he crosses with it? I read somewhere in world war 1 soliders had trouble shooting other humans so they intentionally missed so in other wars they had to help dehumanize the enemy. I am all for killing Nazis and death eaters but Harry should have had an intial hesitence to kill other teens. Dumbledoore has killed before and while he might be against killing teens somewhat i think he would reword that differently what he said to Harry. Did Harry tell Hermione and Ron his two best friends his plans? What did they think? What lead him to cchoose the muggle world over the wizarding world? I think there should have been a slow character building of Harry slowly becoming more ruthless, learning how to use a gun, practicing and exploring his slow distaste for the wizarding world.

Harry was somewhat in character I can see him being frustrated with Dumbledoore and others but Vernan was quite out of character. I suppose if a few chapters focused on Vernan hating or slowly hating Harry less and enough to give him the gun. I suppose Vernan never wants to see him again but why does he suggest to Harry to get boxing lessons from Dudley if he isn't going to see him again? Would be miss him? Does he have affectiok or somewhat for the nephew he abused if he gave him a gun that his grandfather had? Why would Dudley give him boxing lessons? Did Dudley become less of an ass over the summer?

Weil I do think this story could have potential of a more cunning Harry and perhaps you write other characters a bit more in character. But perhaps in the other hand we have two different interpretations of harry so my thinking he is out of character doesn't nessarily mean he would be?

I do think if Harry was in another dimension or something or if they Dursleys were more kind to him and he had a better support system and was not abused by his peers early in life or raised by different parents he might end differently. Though I do think we need a good understanding of a character and how they might change if we plop them in another universe to write a good alternate universe fan fic. I think a good way to get a feel of characters and writing characters is how they would act in an elevator.

The first chapter was thought provoking and you wrote dialogue and descriptions decently. Thanks for writing this. Sorry if this was a little critical. I did enjoy it though and it probably gets even better.
Zombie chapter 26 . 11/6
Well, regarding the disclaimer, looks like the little girl is going to starve.
Grammar Guru chapter 3 . 10/11
Good story so far, but your grammar needs some help. Dieing means 'To cut, form, or stamp with or as if with a die.' To cease to live is 'dying'. You need to look up the definition of loose, as you clearly do not understand what it means. It is not the same as lose. Also, apostrophes are not ever used to make pluralizations. I like your ideas, but further editing would certainly help. Thank you for sharing your ideas.
takamerlin chapter 3 . 9/21
I just started this story at . . . 23:52 and I'm hooked. Your authors note intrigued me. I would have loved for the wool vs cotton debate and also muggle vs wizard garb. I recently reread Fantastic Beasts and I have a special place in my heart for Acromantula silk, also Harry knows where to get loads of it... dead cheep one might say
Ryoji Mochizuki chapter 1 . 9/19
like this vernon
Tenchi Knight chapter 9 . 9/17
I'm really enjoying this story. I really am. :-) and you were concerned about the omake about the two Native Americans not being funny? It was hilarious to me. :-) I can totally picture their expressions as they're talking, looks on their faces are Priceless. :-) lol
Tenchi Knight chapter 6 . 9/17
I've got to say, I'm really enjoying this story. I like that you are using the old men, so often it's the Young Bucks who get to go off to war. I like to see the old codgers be able to dust off their uniforms, put on their boots again, and show that while they may be old, they can still kick $$ and take names. And in reference to the fact that you were using the older style Firearms, such as the Springfield, and the break open revolver, I really enjoy the fact that you're using the older style weapons. It gives it more of a period feel, and I have to agree, that the old men would be more comfortable with the old style weapons, and also, it shows the younger generation that while the weapon may be getting up in age, it can still deal out the same amount of damage as the new ones. It's kind of like what they did with the movie Battleship, where they ended up dusting off the USS Missouri and took that girl out, and showed that while she's got some years on her, she's still got it. :-) in truth, when I saw the old men show up on deck, it sent Thrills through me, and made me giggle like a schoolgirl. :-) it was just absolutely amazing, as is the story. :-) thank you so much for writing it, and thank you so very much for sharing so much of your military wisdom and knowledge of military history with the rest of us, it really does help to bring the story alive, and make history come alive.

TK
slytherinsal chapter 26 . 8/30
good story
slytherinsal chapter 16 . 8/30
a PIAT might do the trick too
slytherinsal chapter 13 . 8/30
That's the sort of practical redemption that I fear Dumbledore wouldn't 'get'
slytherinsal chapter 11 . 8/30
I have to address this, I'm sorry.
Loose is the opposite to tight
lose is the verb to mislay
slytherinsal chapter 8 . 8/30
I thought, surely you mean the Royal Ulster Constabulary? Eire is a republic, it doesn't have anything royal... then I looked it up and saw the date on it. D'oh! of course... grew up with the RUC always in the news because of the IRA.
Famous Grouse? pigswill, bring on the real stuff. The only decent whisky is single malt not the blended crap you can get in supermarkets. Try a Glenmorangie or even the cheaper Glenfiddich and you'll never touch a blended again.
2,876 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »