Reviews for Winter
one chapter 1 . 4/1/2006
Though the english version is very beautiful, the rhythm of the Japanese one feels much more right-as it should be, since Japanese is the original. I don't speak Japanese, but I could read some of it since Chinese is similar to Japanese...and I know how hard it is to translate Asian languages into the less concise (at times) English. So great job!
moeru himura chapter 1 . 2/6/2006
Wow! I envy you for being able to really know (and even write!) in Japanese. And a poem at that! The english translation is very beautiful. But, I can truly feel that the Japanese version is the better one (b/c its the original.):P
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 2/5/2006
I can only comment on the English translation. I liked a lot about this poem. I liked how the poem moves from a sense of isolation ("exist[ing] in lonely silence") to acceptance ("The days when I’d listen dreamily to her words/Are past/...There is nothing I can hold against her.") It seems to move to a sense of despair in the thrid stanza ("...I drifted/... between life and death/Even if I took to wandering/I could not escape the spirits of the dead..."). I particularly liked the reference to wandering and how that will not Kenshin allow any escape from his fate. I like how you then move from Kenshin's acknowledgement of his dark fate to the final stanza where his determined spirit shines through, "At any cost I will uphold my promise/.../I will throw away my sword." It ends with that sense of hope and redemption that makes RuroKen so special in my opinion, "Underneath the plum blossoms, the harbinger of spring/...

/...we will drink sake and watch the snow together."
Summoner Lenne10 chapter 1 . 2/4/2006
Wow, I applaud you just for... knowing Japanese and English and romanji...
sueb262 chapter 1 . 2/4/2006
This is the kind of work that makes me wish I were a student of poetry: I can get glimpses of the depth and layers crafted here, and I love what I do get from it. Truly beautiful.