Reviews for For Want
TT chapter 1 . 10/2/2011
awe! Boromir's last lines are the only point when I teared up in the whole series "I would have served you, my brother, my captain, my king." This a beautiful piece that shows both the depth of Aragorn's loss but also the depth of his and Arwen's love. Great job!
Rian Steelsheen chapter 1 . 4/8/2010
wow, i never thought about the shield... thank you for sharing the idea!

i like the poem, and the story is great. congrat!
The Halfling of the Shire chapter 1 . 5/3/2008
um...it dragged on a bit and if I was a toddler I would be a little frightened, even if I wasn't in the room. AS for that poem being in Middle Earth and for Aragorn to suddenly burst into tears over Boromir's death was a little wierd because he didn't really get to know him that well and I think he disliked Boromir more than he liked him, so although I could feel a pain for Faramir's loss of Boromir, I would not have been a King of Gondor wiping tears away as I read a children's poem to my son. But, the idea is good. Maybe make it sound slightly less like Aragorn was actually 'crying', because if I was Arwen I would be REALLY concerned to. I didn't know she liked to paint, thats kinda nice. Good idea for a fic, just maybe reword a couple things and then it'll be a hit. Sorry if I sound mean, I DON'T MEAN TO! Great job, though, altogether.

~Hobbit
sazza-da-vampire chapter 1 . 11/1/2007
that is so true... i wonder how much would've been different if Boromir had brought said shield when he went looking for Frodo?

... i guess that's what 'Boromir lives' fics are for, hey?
StarofElendil chapter 1 . 7/20/2007
oh man! That was sad, so sad, and very well written!
Hellga chapter 1 . 6/17/2007
Very nice. I was somewhat less than impressed by the beginning of the story - but the ending was powerful. Thank you!
Lothiriel Queen chapter 1 . 1/22/2007
I love this story. It is so sad and very true1 I read it quite a while ago and recently remembered it and wanted to read it again i couldn't however find it so i was quite pleased to come across your profile and find it today. I've been reading some of your other stories as well and they are all fantastic!
Sakura123 chapter 1 . 10/5/2006
Well that was an end-result I was not expecting. To be honest, I was just as lost as Arwen was as I read the poem, and thus, when Aragorn revealed why he was so overcome with emotion I couldn't help but overcome as well. Besides boundless other reasons, I hadn't really thought of Borormir's shield being left behind when I watched the movie; I didn't occur to me until I read your story. And then I thought "dang, that's right. He didn't have his shield with him!" (I wonder if he would've lived, even if he had it.)

And then I finally understood. That aside, your writing was excellent; you really captured the moment of confusion and tearjerking-ness that followed afterward.

All in all I enjoyed this story! Keep up the good work!

Sakura123
dancingkatz chapter 1 . 9/23/2006
This one needs a tissue alert! Oh, I am weeping along with Aragorn! How odd that I hadn't consciously thought about that shot showing Boromir's shield leaning against his pack when I've watched his passing in the film. Most definitely, "for want of..."

This makes me wonder about what would have happened if Boromir hadn't come across Frodo at that time but had returned ot the camp with the firewood...
Nieriel Raina chapter 1 . 8/23/2006
This has long been one of my favorite stories and silly me never reviewed it! I think I read it before I ever signed up, so please forgive the oversight. I have it printed and hanging over my computer as it is one of the most touching stories I have read. Marvellous use of an old poem and what a touch of brilliant thinking to see the loss of Boromir's shield! I have also wondered about what would have happened if he had had it!

*stands and applauds loudly* BRAVO!

NiRi
Imaginigma chapter 1 . 3/27/2006
Hy! Thanks to the SSP on AA I was able to read this great story. Actually, I read it before, but I did not remember until reading the first few lines. I like this little story very much.

It shows the bond between Aragorn and his family, the relationship with Faramir, his responisbilities as King, and the tragic death of Boromor. And all that in so short a tale! Wonderful! I think I would never manage that. :o)
The Dark Insomniac chapter 1 . 2/10/2006
This was a very sweet story! Nice work!

Selig sei und Liebe,

*~*smpobsessor*~*
Deandra chapter 1 . 2/9/2006
An interesting take on Boromir's death, and one I've not seen done before. And quite possibly true, at least from what we were shown in the movie - the shield might have made all the difference. This adds another powerful element to Boromir's death scene (one of the finest in all cinema, in my opinion).

- Deandra
Team Sherlock and Watson chapter 1 . 2/9/2006
This was a very good and sad story. It was short and to the point. Bravo! It had me in tears at the end. I am deffiantly adding this to my favorites. Any story about Aragorn reacting to Boromir's death intrigues me.
Sderai chapter 1 . 2/8/2006
well, an interesting take on the old adage. im a little confused when you say substituting lack for want, it has always been want, hasn't it? thats how it was quoted to me, anyway (though then again, out on the boat and farms, maybe it changed on the trip here interesting. I wonder what else has been lost from our culture thus?) but, I like it. apart from the luxery of time. ARagorn has no time. he is a king. king and warrior. i doubrt he has much time. but for the sake of the story I'll let it pass.