Reviews for Date of Disaster
Loopstagirl chapter 7 . 11/12/2010
Oooh, how have I not reviewed on this? Bad me!

I absolutely adore this! It is nice to see it being Virgil with the interest in girls, so many of them when they are this age, it is Scott pulling away!

A truly delightful story facing all the difficulties of growing up, with a few added twists to keep us on our toes! Thank you for a delightful read! :)
Agent Five chapter 7 . 2/19/2006
Oh, I love it! I love how Jeff's dread of the weekend was overshadowed by his realisation of how much his sons mean to him. Not one special person in his life but five - gorgeous!

But that talk that Virg and Scott had in the kitchen should SO have happened before all of this! Silly boys! But at least it has happened and now the reasons why they had to go through the traumas they did are clear. And they are closer for it. (And Sofia is history, I hope!)

Lessons learned and all is well. And you're absolutely right - love is about so much more than a Valentine's Day card ...

Thank you for a gorgeous story.
Claudette chapter 7 . 2/17/2006
Lovely wrap up. The talk between the two brothers was so smooth - nicely done. I'd missed the link between the prologue & the story but you showed that well and then dropped it in again with the liquers. A great story - I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you.
Claudette chapter 6 . 2/17/2006
Oh micommunication is a terrible thing, but it sure makes good material and situations for stories. I love the way you have the complex interractions of the family; Scott worried about Virgil more than about his car; Virgil thinking Scott is more worried about the car than about him; Gordon 'carrying his guilt with him [wonderful phrase] of what might have been; Virgil reminding him of the other factors involved; Jeff worried about Virgil, angry at Gordon and snapping at John and Scott; Virgil hurt by Jeff and Sophia, forgiving of Gordon and distanced from Scott and John too sick to really care at the time of mjor worry and then working away in the background to cover for Virgil and get Scott's point of view across to him.

You really do these relationship things so well.
Claudette chapter 5 . 2/17/2006
No surprises there then, but oh dear, what a way to find out. Still, since people telling him didn't seem to register then maybe he needed to see for himself.

I understand why Virgil missed Scott and turned to someone else but I don't understand why he felt he didn't belong. That problem must have been there even before, hen Scott was at home. Scott being there made him feel loved and accepted so when Scott went away he needed a replacement; but why did he feel alone in the first place? Interesting.
Claudette chapter 4 . 2/17/2006
Yikes - I didn't think of that. I didn't think they could get in just because it was broken. Well spotted by Jeff, eventually. I'm somewhat surprised he thought it was alcohol - the fumes would have been obvious on his breath had that been the case. I would have thought after suspecting such a thing the first thing to do would be to check his breath and that would have shown something else was the problem. I'm glad Scott got over the car - it couldn't have been in that great nick for the exhaust to fall off, potholes or not.
Claudette chapter 3 . 2/17/2006
Uh-oh - So Virgil's got 'flu - or something worse. So he's obviously not thinking straight. I presume that's why he's not recharged his phone from the car engine - or does a Porsche not have that facility?

Were it anyone else we could hope that his girlfriend would call home, concerned that he had not shown up, and alert them he had not made it to the date. With this being Sofia we are talking about I guess she'll be out enjoying herself with never a thought for Virgil. I guess the family didn't know where he was heading either as he is going for Rob's house & not Sophia's. Methnks Virgil is in for a rough time before things improve. Ah well, Jeff will cope better with four sons instead of five - Gordon will be so dead when this is all finished!
Claudette chapter 2 . 2/17/2006
Your observations on the characteristics of teenagers becoming young men is really good and true. Having grown up with two older brothers and watched them butt heads with each other I can really appreciate how well you're drawing the interactions. Another wonderful story coming up and Grandma's hints about the weather look to presage a story of danger and tension - again.
Claudette chapter 1 . 2/17/2006
Well observed. Whenever there's something on my mind that upsets me it's amazing how many things/events appear around me that just poke at the sore spot. Dates like Valentines Day must be plain misery to people in Jeff's situation.
A Nonny Mouse Returns chapter 1 . 2/15/2006
Kimmy, I couldn't help re-read your final chapter for yet another time around. The emotions you draw together between all the characters is absolutely superb, you really had me desperate to take it all in. Where does all your imagination stem from? Is there a particular character who you can most relate to?
Chemical Girl chapter 7 . 2/15/2006
I have just read this and throughly enjoyed it. Poor Virgiland Gordon. Hope to see more of your work.
mcj chapter 7 . 2/15/2006

I have deliberately left my review until your story has ended.

Initially what a wonderfully entertaining piece, full of description, emotion and intense visualisation. I love stories where I can "see" what is going on from the dialogue and character description.

This story did not let me down.

You are a wonderful story-teller and the depth of detail you use is second to none. I could "feel" how Gordon felt after Jeff had finished with him in the later chapters, I really could, and I had to smile at the chocolate liquer section near the end. You made subtle points on family dynamics when maybe you probably didn't even intend to. I don't know. All I know is that I enjoyed it.

Very few pieces of fiction invoke these types of reactions in me and I have to congratulate you on that.

You demonstrate a close and loving family, one that does it tough, but one who genuinely cares for the other person.

I loved it. Each and every chapter.

I am very reticent to say I have played any role in the success of this wonderful fic. My role was as a friend only and to offer comment. Your talent is what has made this story great.

As a fellow writer and reviewer I offer you my support, my heartfelt congratulations and my salutations for a job well done.

I certainly hope I get the privelege of reading more of your wonderful work soon.

Regards and yours in writing

mcj (Australia)
A Nonny Mouse chapter 7 . 2/14/2006
An excellent read, your imagination just runs wild and leaves us truly inspired by such talent!
Emerald Queen chapter 7 . 2/14/2006
Lovely take on Valentine's Day :)

Especially loved the little scene with Scott and Virgil and the chocolates - they should have been more careful clearing away the remains! Hehe, sillies.

Pity we didn't get to see Virgil finishing with Sofia. :(

Spense chapter 7 . 2/14/2006
I thought the Virgil/Scott section was terrific. Growing up can be the pits. And Jeff's realization was marvelous. But the whole icing on the cake was the section with the choclate liqueurs. Nothing like choclate for your valentine - although Jeff didn't realize he'd done it! Lovely humor at the end. Great was to wrap it up. You've definately done it again, Kimmy. Now, how about another one?