Reviews for Dark Horse
riverrat chapter 1 . 4/23/2013
Interesting story and very well written.
yay chapter 1 . 10/10/2012
This was pretty interesting. I like the comparison to potions.
VestriVerum chapter 1 . 4/16/2010
Wonderful, haunting story - I wonder about the title, though.

Anyway, beautifully done.

~V.
Rachel Indeed chapter 1 . 4/27/2009
I'm sorry I didn't review this story before - I first came across it ages ago, and it is one of those one-shots that has just stayed with me. There's something unique about the quiet feel of it, the sense of honesty and futility and closeness, the little details that Lily observes about Snape's reactions (she puts a lot of effort into him, as she says) that really strikes a chord. I like the strange ways they show they respect each other - like Snape saying snidely that the world would stop turning if anything ever happened to her (she's central to his vision, even though he doesn't want her to be). I especially love her telling him that she's not trying to flatter him or pity him, just that she sees something in him the Death Eaters don't deserve. I've never heard a better description of his character; that's how I felt about him when I was reading the books. Obviously the later books have shown us a different picture of these two, and I personally am a big fan of that unrequited romance, but your story stands out as a beautiful, meaningful alternate vision, in which two people who are nearly strangers nonetheless recognize something fundamental in each other, and appreciate it, and let it go.

Thanks so much for writing! You have a lovely talent.
coolmarauders chapter 1 . 4/4/2006
Wower. I loved this. I loved the un-romance feel of it; the feeling that there's something-something electric, but not romanticly electric, something tense and palpable- between Snape and Lily. J.K. has said that we will learn something important about Lily in book VII so a Severus/Lily connection could be comin' up...

prongs
Tempscire chapter 1 . 4/2/2006
This was a nicely written piece. I felt that their detachment from one another was spot on- no extreme hostility, no sudden gushing romance. I feel there's more to the Snape/Lily dynamic than has been explicitly stated, but not in a romantic sense as many other fics frame it.

Snape's thoughts at beginning and end relating potion-making to life were also lovely metaphors. Well done.
chromeknickers chapter 1 . 3/5/2006
Well written. I, in fact, liked the detached sentiment of both Lily and Severus. I am surprised I fouund myself looking up a Lily/Severus ship but am glad I did for this is excellent written. Good descriptions and vocabulary. At points the real submerged with the surreal.

I think you should work with this. Create another Snape fic (with Lily, of course). Or whatever you chose to write as a long story, I'd be happy to proof read or help (my stories do not vouch for my own abilities, of course) ;)
ForeverinMoonlight chapter 1 . 2/16/2006
Well...this story was strange...but it was good too. Not usually the kind of thing I'd normally read. But it was written very well, well done. :)
Identity of the Nation.975658 chapter 1 . 2/11/2006
Like you said, I don't have anything particularly strong in the category of feelings, when it comes to a ship concerning Lily and Severus, but from time to time, when written properly, it can be quite an appealing ship. You've done a good job at keeping Severus in character, and making Lily the character that seems to be displayed in the memory in the Pensieve, in the Order of the Phoenix. It's really often that I read a good one-shot, regardless of ships being present or not, and you've done a remarkable job at it. Excellent, excellent job!
Random-Musings chapter 1 . 2/10/2006
Despite Snape's lack of strong romantic feelings towards Lily, and vice-versa, this was still one of the best one shots I've ever read. Everyone and everyone was realistic and...ugh...it was just so good. Definately going under my favorites. :)
Tharin chapter 1 . 2/10/2006
The story seems strange, but in the same time interesting. I don't really know if I like it or not, but it's certainly well written.