Reviews for Dark Forest
Elebriwien chapter 78 . 1/7
I found this lovely story through Ziggy's recommendation and I have to say that this story is so great!
You have no idea how many times I spend my days at work re-imagining all the scenes that I have read and making myself go back and re-read this amazing story. I loved the plot along with the character development, heck I even loved your oC so much! and when the story neared to the end I really didn't want it to finish! It made me crave for more!
wonderful job on the story and I really do hope if there is any new stories you're going to write in the future or even a sequel even though this one has ended.
again I would like to say, great story and thank you for sharing it with us! :D
Obsidianglasses chapter 78 . 11/11/2014
This is the first story to make me feel genuinely upset.

When you introduced Faeldaer I immediately felt sorry for him. I hoped he would eventually end up with Legolas, but I first had to find out if he was alive or not. When Legolas woke up in Mirnen I was of course very happy. But after Legolas suddenly realized he liked Faeldaer I knew something wasn't right. I had to put this story down for a day after that because I felt so sad for them.

I think I was holding back tears by the time I finally discovered Faeldaer had been dead all this time. I really felt upset, it's not something I've ever felt before reading fanfiction. I simply refused to believe it had all been a bad dream.

The way in which you told the story, really made it feel as if there was this underlaying layer of 'this doesn't feel right'. The reader doesn't know the truth until the very end. It surely felt like you knew what you were doing!

At least I'm glad Legolas has healed and found someone else to spend his time with. The epilogue wraps up the story nicely. I just can't forget about poor Faeldaer. In the end, he died alone knowing his beloved would never love him in return. I hope he finds someone else. It seems you've made your OC's too real!

I'm a little late to the party, but you deserve every review you can get for this masterpiece! I think it was Ziggy who told me to go read this story and I'm glad she did.
Nightwing6 chapter 78 . 7/2/2014
Lovely way to end this tale. I sort of had the feeling Thranduil might make the journey. Legolas will be fine and thrive with the support of his friends and the good work he is doing. I love that Mithaur is helping out with the baby trees. That's very sweet, and he is also making amends as he helps with the healing of the land after the evil. I was particularly happy with the first bit of this chapter, when Legolas paused to have a little moment of sweetness with the chipmunk. Those little moments are essential for the enjoyment of life, not the rushing and striving and list of things to do. The chipmunk encounter was rather Thich Nhat Hanh-ish - "present moment, wonderful moment". Terrific story. I'm so glad I got myself back here to finish reading it at long last!
Nghtwing6 chapter 77 . 7/1/2014
Nice to see the reconciliation between father and son. They both worked hard to get to this point. Lots of stuff to deal with. Always love the wisdom you give Gimli. So these events are what drives Legolas to start up his own elven community in Ithilien. I like it. He is growing in wisdom and becoming ready to rule.
Nightwing6 chapter 76 . 6/30/2014
Recovery at last, though in tiny increments. Legolas is aware of reality now, and is hungry too! I like that Thranduil understands that forgiveness of really egregious acts must be earned. It cannot simply be bestowed. Not until amends have been made. I think he will succeed, given time.
Nightwing6 chapter 75 . 6/29/2014
This was amazing. What a battle! And as much of it was fought internally as externally. Your descriptions were exquisite - it was like watching a movie scene with the coolest special effects ever. Still danger for Legolas, but I see his strength returning too, and his will to fight.
Nightwing6 chapter 74 . 6/29/2014
Ai! Such excellent tension and terror, and great scene descriptions too. A lot going on here, and very well held together.
Nightwing6 chapter 72 . 6/29/2014
Oh, oh dear. Fabulous sexual desire and love and feelings, Legolas' heart's desire at last... and it's all wrong. Yipes.
Nightwing6 chapter 68 . 6/29/2014
Poor Legolas, still struggling along with reality vs. the unreal world he longs to get back to. His pondering are giving him insight, but he is yet unready to face what is true. Your Thranduil rocks, BTW. I'm liking him lots.
Nighwing6 chapter 64 . 6/28/2014
You write Legolas' confusion very convincingly. He exists in two worlds. It will take a lot to bring him around - the combined efforts of all of his friends.
Nightwing6 chapter 60 . 6/28/2014
You are the worst elf torturer ever. Phew... it must have been very tough to write this. So complicated, and so good.
Nightwing6 chapter 57 . 6/28/2014
Oooh my! This is getting so good, and scary. Sauron's reach is indeed long, and man, is he evil. First part beautifully written, as Thranduil is made to confront the truth and really face it, with the help, not the condemnation, of his allies. The woodland king comes through with wisdom and courage. I love your Gimli - wonderfully straight talking, firm and true. I'm worried about what comes next!
Nightwing6 chapter 49 . 6/27/2014
Oh crap, I knew this wouldn't end well. You wrote this beautifully - the anticipation and excitement of the wedding, the ceremony and celebration, the initiation of lovemaking, the physical and emotional joy - then utter devastation. Legolas alone as he has never been before. It is terrifying to read.
Nightwing6 chapter 47 . 6/27/2014
I jumped in a couple of chapters ago, thinking it was about where I had left off oh those many moons ago. Faeldaer is one very skilled therapist, if we can call him that, bringing Legolas to full recall of the dreadful event of the stabbing. And he is good at coaxing Legolas to look at things from a more compassionate stance. Obviously Sauron has been messing with everyone here.
Vain chapter 78 . 2/24/2014
I read this a few weeks ago, when I first began my foray into LotR fanfiction. Since then, I have probably devoured close to 100 fics (many of which are connected to your favorites list by a few degrees :-)) and this remains my favorite. The pacing is phenomenal and you shell out all of the characters with a stunning degree of depth. Generally, it is your presentation of Thranduil that stand out most in my mind. I think that your complex and conflicted characterization of the Elfking has indelibly eaten my brain. All others pale.

I rarely review on anymore, but this story is too epic and too beautifully written to NOT review. Thank you for sharing such a poignant, complex, and intensely satisfying fiction. I feel incredibly lucky to have stumbled over so early into my experience in a new fandom. I can only hope that LotR has more gems like this hidden in its archives.