Reviews for Ordinary Phantasticus
The Silly Storyteller chapter 1 . 2/17/2018
I've wanted to review this story for ages now, a nice long review.

This story is one of the most beautiful pieces of literature I've ever had the pleasure to come across. It's also hands down the best short story I've read.

There is so much to love about this story: the addition of Roald Dahl as a character, the vivid description of the lifeless, boring office environment, Frank the Goldfish, Charlie's friendship with Willy Wonka, Doris as a human barmaid (she's adorable), and best of all, your portrayal of Willy himself.

He's so relatable in this story, the fact that he's an introvert and doesn't like ''typical social interaction'' all that much, but he's still lonely. He wishes for a more colourful life, but he's trapped in this colourless, bland existence. And his relationship with his father reminds me too much of the relationship between me and my parents. When I am with them, I often feel as if I'm being ''silently scolded'' as well; like I'm never good enough.

I also must say that Charlene seems like a rather annoying person. She's obviously attracted to Willy, but she doesn't understand him as a person. She even called him ''weird''. Who would want to go out with such a rude girl? I don't blame Willy for wanting to get away from her as far as possible.

In another one of your stories, ''Quite Frankly'', something similar happens with a woman called Eleanor, but this time, she does actually succeed in going on a date with Willy, doesn't she? But all the while, she just nags him for being anti-social and telling him to get out more.

Willy sure does come across lots of annoying young ladies in your stories, doesn't he?

There is one character I created for my Wonka fiction that acts a little like your Charlene and Eleanor: she's for whatever reason attracted to Willy, but wants him to change many aspects of himself on the other hand. I haven't named this character of mine yet, but she's just a minor character in this coming-of-age novel I'm writing, ''The Invention of Willy Wonka'', posted on Archive of Our Own (I used to post my Wonka fiction here on FanFiction, but then I run into some rude people who kept flooding my review section with rude things; so I switched to Archive of Our Own as my primary platform for story-posting). My story is a sort of prequel to Burton's film, with elements from the original book thrown in; the tale of how Willy transformed from downtrodden child to great candy maker.

Before I started working on my own story, I read Wonka stories written by other authors, to get some ideas on how to portray a younger Wonka. Only a few authors ended up on the ''Excellent Writers'' list in my mind, and I'm happy to say that you're one of them. You, and Piscaria, and Turrislucidus. ''Ordinary Phantasticus'' was especially excellent. It's more than that; it's just so gosh-darn beautiful. I don't think anything I ever write will measure up to this absolute gem of a short story. Your prose flows so perfectly, while mine falls flat sometimes. And making the characters seem alive is something I severely need to work on, because sometimes, I look at my own writing, and I think, ''No. The dialogue is too dull,'' and things like that.

I understand that you're first and foremost a writer of original fiction, but that doesn't mean that your fan fiction stories aren't amazing. Truly good storytelling - storytelling with depth that moves the heart - is very rare to come by these days, in my opinion; and even the characters in your fan fictions seem much more alive than the stale protagonists I've seen in most of the popular novels I picked up in bookshops.

I switched off PM-ing on this account to avoid getting rude messages, so if you ever wish to reply to my review (but you don't have to, because my review is a thank-you gift to you for writing such a good story, more than anything else), I have another account here which I use to exchange Private Messages with friends: ''A-Stranger-On-Earth-19''. My profile picture for that account is a bluebird.

I wish you the best of luck in all your future writing projects, whether fan fiction or original fiction.

PS: I read ''Reparo'' and ''Cell Block F'' as well. The former made me giggle like a lunatic; while the latter actually made me shed a few tears for poor Mr. Wonka and poor Charlie. I applaud your ability to make your readers feel for the characters.

- The Silly Storyteller
Faux Reves chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
Another fabulous story. I'm glad I read this after your Calvin and Hobbes one. It worked wonderfully as a pick-me-up. Realistically gritty but with enough humor and hope to keep it light hearted enough to not break into tears and despair. Thank you.
The Terrible Jester chapter 1 . 10/1/2011
wow! i love love love this story
Seul chapter 1 . 6/30/2010
Really enjoying your what if AUs ... thanks for sharing
Creatura chapter 1 . 5/16/2010
I knew right away that was Dahl sitting there XD
Gijinka Renamon chapter 1 . 5/12/2010
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. And I loved how you worked Dahl himself into this.
Decollage chapter 1 . 12/14/2009
Wow! Nervous squirrely clerk-Willy seems to match the original illustrations of the novel, and the scene seems a lot like Danny, King of the World. Very well done.
teacrumb chapter 1 . 8/3/2009
This made me unspeakably happy. In fact it's practically absurd how warm and fuzzy I am inside. Dahl! Himself! In fic! Excuse me while I flail in manic joy! o I was all ready to be depressed over Wonka's dreams being pulverized and whatnot, but it turned out to be quite the opposite. Unexpected. Inspiring. And did I mention the bit about containing Dahl? I love everything about it. Willy is spot on. I'm just going to go sit in a corner and bask in the aftermath. Thank you for writing this! It made my day. Night. Very early morning. You get the picture.
SpoonfulOfArsenic chapter 1 . 5/30/2009
That was absolutely perfect. I mean, I could imagine everything so well, and I could feel everyone's emotions. One of the most fantastic things I've ever read!
occhi bella chapter 1 . 5/24/2009
This is one of the best CatCF fics I've ever read. Great, great job.
Nina Windia chapter 1 . 10/28/2007
Aw, I feel so sorry for Willy in this, he deserves more of a life than that. This is a really great story, and I like how you fitted in Dahl. :)
WingsandRings chapter 1 . 12/13/2006
This is one of the best stories I've ever read, and I dont just mean in CatCF or in fan fiction. I mean this is one of the best pieces of fiction I've ever read.

Wonderful sense of mood. I actually teared up a little, and I can't remember the last time I cried over a short story.
Avalon's mists chapter 1 . 7/1/2006
I love How you worked Charlie and Dahl into your story. You really did your research.
Intrepid Owl chapter 1 . 6/28/2006
Awesome. So that's how Roald Dahl wrote the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory story _ It's quite a good theory and a really good story. Please continue with your works!
IDOL HANDS chapter 1 . 5/13/2006
This is the best AU story ever and in fact, unto itself it is a great story. The prose are good, unique in their descritions without being over-indulgent or self-impressed; not that I always mind such a thing, but it certainly would not have suited this tale.

Do you work in an office environment? Because it is as if you depicted the lonely, nonsensical life of of a creative person itself. I did not find the tale entirely sad because it shows how even in a small way, even in a small life, how we can benefit each other, how we can transform the ordinary into the phantastical. Thanks for being an example of that.

I may have to pimp this tale at Live Journal in the Whangdoodles community, if you don't' mind. I'd encourage you to do it yourself though. For Dahl and CatCF fans such as myself, this is a real golden nugget.