Reviews for The Masterplan
Freebird87 chapter 2 . 10/21/2010
It's so funny that Arnold forgot who Ruth was.
DoofusPrime chapter 4 . 9/12/2010
The DJ misinterpreting Gerald and Arnold's comments as song requests was amusing (as well as the few people in the back headbanging to the metal while no one joined them, hehe). I also liked Arnold's attempt at suaveness with Lila.

I think it was cool to address Lila and Arnold and give more closure to the two of them than the show did, because I agree that the show was a little vague in terms of whether or not Arnold ever actually gave up on Lila, that kind of thing. And I like when Lila is treated sympathetically, since I think her character on the show is pretty sympathetic even if she has a few issues from time to time (particularly in the cheese festival episode). And hey, she does seem to like the idea of Arnold and Helga together.

As for the screenplay format, I'm still not sure if I like that or not. Of course that's probably kind of a subjective thing, and at the least it's an interesting and different approach to take. I'd be interested in reading this story in third person perspective, getting more into people's thoughts and stuff, just to see the different takes on things. Not that I'm making a request or anything, hehe.

Either way, I enjoyed the story, and it caught the tone of a HA episode. Thanks for posting it! :)
DoofusPrime chapter 3 . 9/12/2010
I enjoyed this chapter more than the previous one (although I liked chapter 1 as well).

I really enjoyed how you wrote Grandpa Phil - I think you've got his voice down really well, and the scene in which he races the teenager at the stoplight was funny and definitely seemed like something Phil would do in the show.

Helga's attempt to sabotage Arnold and Lila's date is also a cool reference to the show.
DoofusPrime chapter 2 . 9/12/2010
Hey Steve -

Cool story so far. I have to admit, I'm kind of unsure about the screenplay-style format - I assume it's to evoke the idea that it's a script for an actual episode? I found it a little awkward at first, but then it seems like I very rarely see it used in fan fiction so I gotta give you points for trying something different, and it could just be I'm not used to it.

I liked the Valentine's card exchanges, particularly Helga's little Valentine's threat to Lila. :)
emily bradit chapter 5 . 2/8/2010
It was good :D

Could you write another Laila/Arnold/Helga fic.

I love reading those kind of stuff
SeraphimK chapter 5 . 1/2/2007
Where to start? This fic is brilliant! _ I loved all the humorous moments (especially the part where Phil took the vanilla shake-I don't know why, but that *cracked me up*-probably because I was expecting him to give it to Lila. But keeping it for himself was more in-character and hilarious :P).

You obviously put a lot of time into this (even if you hadn't made that clear in the introduction/commentary, it would be obvious); it's very well-planned and really does give closure to the whole Lila/Arnold situation. I can't explain it, but the story has a satisfying "completeness." I think a big part of that is the ending scene when Arnold reads #5 on the list, then throws it away. I can imagine that scene vividly, the look on Arnold's face and everything, as if it were a scene from the show.

This is a bit random-just some thoughts I had after reading your introduction. The HA! fandom really did dry up quickly over those couple of years; I remember how depressing it was to watch the number of fanfics uploaded/updated every day diminish, hear fans talk about how they had "grown up" and moved on from the fandom, and see the fan sites die down. Every time I read a recent HA! fic (not often anymore, since there are fewer than there once were), I think, "This fic would've had SO many more reviews if it had been published 3 or more years ago!" This is one of those fics.

...I was going to end this awfully long review after that, but I just remembered one more thing I wanted to say (I'll try to make it short ;P). Some people make Lila out to be a seemingly innocent girl with evil intentions, which is not what she is at all. She's a seemingly innocent little girl who tries to be a "good kid," like Arnold, but manipulates him without realizing it/meaning to. You've really captured her character. You've done the best job of it I've ever seen in fanfiction, actually.

Um, I think that's all I have to say... But don't be surprised if I suddenly remember something else and review a second time. _ Keep up the good writing!

Sierra
needles chapter 4 . 9/13/2006
Yeah, I think Lila is a slut for leading him on all the time.
Silver Kitten chapter 5 . 3/14/2006
You're a writer wholly dedicated to your work and it really shows which is something you should definitely be proud of.

I really liked this added commentary piece, I think it went well with the story. And how cool would it be if we had one of these things for every episode? Seeing where ideas came from and what almost happened...it's a nice touch.

Everything you put into this, all the thoughts and changes- very remarkable. You even seem to have put in extended time for this part explaining how much time you took to make the best out of it.

Interesting about the gym thing, too. Never really thought about it, and I suppose Shaun had just the right idea on how to deal with that. Playing off characters is smart.

I meant to comment on the German Death Metal in the review, so I'll do it here. I loved that bit, thought it was hilarious and random. Great stuff. I took German for three years (a lot of good it did me, too, with a C average and now I only remember the alphabet and some of the numbers, lol) but we ended up listening to some of that genre of music. The music itself I found amusing, very different, but interesting- as is most all cultural based music.

I'm very VERY impressed with your deep planning of character placement, particularly for that last scene as you were talking about. I kind of re-read it a couple times just to completely take it all in, and I had to smile to myself while wondering if the actual writers of the show know as much about this stuff as you do, or even care half as much. :)

On those two ending notes, one with Helga feeling guilty- I completely love that aspect of her character. Just because she does mean things and says cruel words, doesn't mean she doesn't care and I'm glad you were able to show that. Also, I'm happy with a happy Arnold. I think either way, with him sulking or smiling, I would have been happy because even if it ended with him sulking, we still know he's Arnold and he'll accept things and move on. But just skipping that part was nice this time, because it means the sooner that he and Helga can get together.

I applaud your efforts endlessly.

*Silver Kitten*
Silver Kitten chapter 4 . 3/14/2006
Honestly, don't know where to start with this. I loved how very much it was like an episode, so true to the style of the show with the humor and the character dialogue and that little message at the end of the show. Beautiful ending scene, by the way, with the two of them looking up at the sky. They're totally meant for each other. I really enjoyed Phil's part in this, his character was one of my favorites for some reason and you nailed him perfectly. Great job on the plot and for not making Helga and Lila cat-fight. It was nice to read them "getting along" and Lila accepting (willingly or not) that Arnold was for Helga. I also liked how everything with Gerald and Phoebe was portrayed, because, really, their relationship is just natural and doesn't need an introduction. You're right that if we don't get that we should be shot, and maybe stabbed a few times.

Overall, I'm thrilled you've written and shared this. It really has given me a fresh taste of why I fell in love with the show years ago, and why there will always be some kind of a void where I'll miss Hey Arnold!.

Thank you for this.

*Silver Kitten*
Fey Phantom chapter 5 . 3/7/2006
Wow, what a bunch of extras! Of course, you can tell from reading the fic how much time was put into it! Just a couple of things I wanted to mention from the extras:

I'm glad you kept them all in fourth grade rather than 6th. I don't know, the sixth grade in HA has always seemed to me to be really more high school like. Besides, this way it seemed much more like an actual episode too. Not to mention it means Arnold hasn't been pining for Lila for multiple years.

The Wayne's World quote... wow, I can't believe I actually remember that! It's been like 10 years since I've seen that movie... Heh, but I like the fact that you had it repeating, not to mention with Arnold and then with Helga. On some level, it sort of shows that they really are on the same wavelength (and perfect for one another ;) )

Wow, 80 episodes? Geez, where do you guys find these things? It's been so long since I've seen many of the Arnold epsodes. Makes me wish I never taped over them on a weekly basis... I can't even remember some of them. Like the episode you mentioned in the 1st chapter of this... Timberly Loves Arnold. I actually had to look it up. I sort of remember it but I don't even remember Arnold getting over Lila. ; Wow, it's been way too long...

Anyway, I think that's all I wanted to say. Once again, amazing job on this! All the hard work paid off tremendously! I hope Shaun reads this whether he's contacted you again or not. It seems like he helped a lot with this and I hope he gets to see the final version.

Fey Phantom chapter 4 . 3/7/2006
Nyaww, that was a cute ending Yay for stargazing! Heh, I could so see what Helga was saying to Lila about running away from problems fitting her as well. I think you worded it very well there. And oh man! The DJ! Gotta love him! When he kept on listing off songs, that was priceless! On the whole, very good job with this! It was well written and definitely came out well after over a year of writing. Congrats on a great fic!

Fey Phantom chapter 3 . 3/7/2006
Hee, I LOVE your sarcasm. And all the remarks on other things (like car races in movies ;) ) This really is great and once again I think you've done a phenominal job with keeping everyone in character. Heh, if the series was still going, I'd seriously wonder if Helga would EVER go to a dance or party without some alternate plan... Heh, oh, and I burst out laughing at the comment on if we didn't kow Phoebe's date we should be shot. :P That was great! Honestly, you're great with humour!

acosta perez jose ramiro chapter 5 . 2/28/2006
Hey, thanks for telling me about the story's ending! Excellent final chapter; I really liked the scenes with the DJ, and Lila is excellently displayed, both with Helga and with Arnold. Nice way to use her as she was originally conceived; she is a nice girl, and, like Arnold, likes doing the right thing. The only reason people dislike her is because she had become Helga's rival, but that's not her fault.

The "director's cut" chapter was a great plus.

Keep the good writing.
Jae B chapter 5 . 2/28/2006
You're heartily welcome, Steve. Nice job.
Jae B chapter 4 . 2/28/2006
Bravo! That's the best way to end a fanfic! Great job, Steve. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

-Jae-