Reviews for Gifts
Hawaiichick chapter 1 . 3/20/2017
Sigh...this warmed my heart. I was a bit heartbroken over Sinnarn, but it was a nice little band aid to read a story about how he came to be. The Ithilden apple doesn't fall far from the tree of randy Thrandy! ;)
PSW chapter 1 . 8/15/2015
Oh, his own child. I'm sure Thranduil's been waiting centuries for the 'I told you so's' yo begin. :-)

I'm kind of w Legolas on this one - if he can't complain at home, where can he? Just his bad luck to have the troop commander at his table every night...
HassleCastle chapter 1 . 7/12/2014
That was a sad one... Though I loved the cook!
Freddie23 chapter 1 . 6/19/2009
a baby? that's a new arc. cool. he'd be a very strict father.
moonshine4488 chapter 1 . 5/15/2008
I read this a while back, but I had forgotten most of it. I like hearing about Alfirin : )
farflung chapter 1 . 7/10/2006
Today royalty just have to wear nice clothes and not embarrass themselve or others. Not so here or in other times. Every lady of a household had to deal with presiding over a staff that for some would be a small army. The kitchen scene in Sense and Sensibility popped into my mind and that was 'modern' for this story.

Ah cravings! And then the let down. So careful and cautious Alfirin and Ithilden. So unlike Eilian and Celuwen later in your tale.

I did like the comment that Ithilden and Legolas would eat anything.

As far as habits go, they die hard. I will relate something to you that you may have heard before. A southern belle was making a ham for a family dinner. She cut the end of the ham off and put it in her pan. Her husband asked why she always did that and she said her mother had always done that and her mother was the best cook she had ever know. At the family dinner she asked her mother why she cut off the end of the ham and the mother said well my mother did that and she was the best cook I have ever known. So they went to granny and asked her why she cut the end off the ham before she cooked it and she said, "My pan is too small." So there you are. No fried fish because someone who is no longer with them didn't like it.

A spring stirring up the young ones. And the not so very young ones. Alfirin and Ithilden really need to make sure they don't get too absorbed in the here and now and neglect their feas. Well at least they will be thoughtful and let her parents retire early. How nice of them.

Here Alfirin shocks again. A nursery! Gasp. I think she may be protesting too much here. Spring is when all the elves plan begetting days after all. The sap isn't just rising in the trees. That pesky old bond.

It is so noble of Ithilden wanting to protect Alfirin but he has been alone for a long time and he needs togetherness lessons. He will learn though. I don't see Alfirin as a retiring mate willing to be relegated to the side lines in a relationship. Trouble shared is halved and joy shared is doubled. I seem to be a walking adage spouter tonite.

Poor Marten. He paid for his sharp eyes didn't he? At least he prevented more perhaps less protected elves from dying. Shadow is indeed making inroads and the elves will be more and more on the edge of disaster. And Ithilden with his overwhelming sense of duty is having a hard time.

You got in the singing for the funeral this time. Very nice.

Well you got the message across here with the poor foal. You can get killed or you can die aborning but life is still precious. If we waited to have children only when things were peaceful and calm we would none of us have been born. Children are your statement that life is precious and good no matter what gets thrown at you. Life does go on despite such times as we are living in right now also.

I did like Alfirin's statement that it is a gift when Ithilden trusts her. This bond thing is tricky and they are still learning. Despite the bleak future they may face this is their stand in the face of it. At least if an elf loses someone they look forward to the time when that one will be reborn.

So Ithilden has learned some very valuable lessons and knows he can share his heart with Alfirin. He has a long time to do so and things will only get better. Despite what the wicked author has in store for them. We forgive you.
nautika chapter 1 . 3/30/2006
I dont know how I missed this when you first posted it! I find myself wanting to see his meeting with Eilian and to see how he and Legolas fared at breakfast the next day, but I definitely enjoyed this fiction.
Jasmine chapter 1 . 3/8/2006
So beautiful! I was so thrilled to see a new story when I checked your author page today! And true to form, as with everything you write, this was an absolute gem! Even got a few tears out of me! Thank you so so so so much for sharing your talent with us:)
Lamiel chapter 1 . 3/6/2006
This is such a nice story, not least because it offers some insight into Alfirin's daily life. I liked seeing her schedule for the day. We know that she runs the king's household, but seeing her work gives a better idea of what that actually means. And I was grinning at this line, "If she had seen this kitchen before she was betrothed, she might have hesitated to accept Ithilden’s proposal."

Ithilden is so strong, and so tightly wound that it's amazing that Alfirin can handle him so well. His breakdown at the colt's death was beautifully done. It really seemed to encapsulate the heavy load that he's carried, and the tensions he keeps hidden. I also think it telling that it was only after he allowed himself to admit the fear and worries he has, and to be comforted by Alfirin's strength, that they can make the decision together to have a child.

Oh, and the glimpse of Legolas was a treat. It's not often that he gets to be just grumpy in a fic.

I'm glad for the chance to enjoy your gift for telling a good story again. I hope that the LOTR fandom will continue to benefit from your talents, even on an occasional basis.
Angaloth chapter 1 . 3/3/2006
Another beautiful story...as always. The begining was very cute, and probably my favorite part of the whole thing. I just love it how everyone is almost hoping/thinking she's pregnant when she lets all these little things about cravings and nursery, and how she's gets embarrassed. And the ending is just so sweet that it makes me almost depressed when I wonder where the hell all the Ithildens are in this world?
moonshine4488 chapter 1 . 2/27/2006
It is so wonderful to be in love. This story makes me think about all the trust and respect that are needed to make a relationship work. It is also the first fanfiction piece I have read in months. Im falling out of fanfiction I guess, which seems sad, but I will never be able to pass up one of your stories,Daw. I hope to read more!
Pibgorn chapter 1 . 2/27/2006
Thank you for being back and with such a beautiful and warm story. I missed Ithilden and Eilian so much, I started daydreaming about them :)
Coolio02 chapter 1 . 2/26/2006
Excellent story! I was so sad for the foal that had to be put down and Ithilden crying *sniff*...but I'm glad Alfirin was there for him. I enjoyed reading this, good job:-)
orlandochick05 chapter 1 . 2/26/2006
Yay! You have to write more often. I've become addicted to your stories. I loved that one. It was so sad when the poor horsey died! And then Ithilden started crying! I don't like it when elves cry. It makes me sad because they're supposed to sing and dance in the woods and just be happy (and also because it makes me want to give them a hug and I can't!) If you keep this up Ithilden's going to become my favourite, and I don't know if Beliond will like being moved down the list!

I also loved that part where Ithilden got mad at Eilian. For a minute there I thought that he was going to go down there himself and give Eilian a good kick.

The thing I like best about your stories, though, is how all your characters stay in character. You can almost tell what they're going to do before you read it. I especially like how Ithilden's always 'running his hand over his tightly woven braids'. Very cute.

Please, please, please, please, please write again soon.
Barbara Kennedy chapter 1 . 2/26/2006
Huggles. A wonderful and warm new story from Daw, a great way to enjoy the day.

Excelent writing as always.