Reviews for Cognitive Dissonance
deideiblueeyez chapter 1 . 3/20/2014
I read Heart of Darkness this past year for AP English. I HATED it. Absolutely hated it (gags). But anyway this is good! I like it. I had a like/dislike relationship with Terra on the show but you make her seem likable again, yay!
DyinggFlower chapter 13 . 11/8/2013
7 year hiatus.. wow. I was so sad reading this. It captivated me. In the midst of this darkness, I do hope Terra finds normailty/stability and has a good ending when this sory is completed. From all the pain she carries, she really does deserves it.

I hope you can continue this again someday...
SylverEyes chapter 13 . 4/30/2008
O_O And this thing hasn't been updated in two years...

I think I'm going to die. Because, I really need to find out what's going to happen, and I really, really want to see how Robin deals with this new development, especially all by himself.

Terra's making all the wrong choices, and then realizing that maybe it wasn't such a good idea. I want to her to realize that she shouldn't take things the way she hears them all the time, and she should think things through. T_T

But I love this so much! Please tell me that you haven't given up on this, or Bright Line, or Time Cut. Anything really. I love your writing too much!
Firefly4000 chapter 13 . 2/21/2008
Snazzy story, poor Terra hope the titans get their act together and actually save their friend whose been manipulated muchly
Zergplex chapter 13 . 11/19/2006
Hello! I just left a review on Bright Line, so if you happen to read this review first check that out as most of it deals with both stories. I felt I had to review this one seperately, both as they ARE seperate stories despite being parallel and because Terra is my favorite of the Teen Titans characters (though I do love them all). The story definatly painted Terra in a much more comprehensible but also less sympathetic light then most fanfiction (or the series in general). I like that though, it shows how she isn't really good or evil, just a confused girl who is slowly learning what is right and wrong and what it really means to be a hero. It's not always clean, it's not always painless, and it's definatly not always easy. But knowing you saved someones life, knowing you did the right thing is it's own reward. She learned that when she stood up to Slade to save Starfire, and when she told the Titan's of her betrayal. And I have a feeling Robin is going to show her that being a hero means forgivness, both of yourself and others.

Heh, sorry I went off on a tangent, I'm quite good at that. I think overall in the story Terra was portrayed a bit denser then I feel she was in the show, but I think it fits the tone of the story and she is definatly still in character. Slade was portrayed just as Evil, Manipulative, and Intelligent as he truly is. I have always been impressed that a show targeted at younger kids could bring to life what is to me the most frightening psychopath I'v ever seen; and you definatly did justice to the character. The relationship between Terra and Beast Boy was also treated very well in the story, and stayed very believable throughout the story. Even though it was strained with her revelation, Beast Boy has showed his loyalty and I feel that this will make them both stronger.

Keep up the amazing work, I look forward to reading more of your stories. Have a great day.

-Zergplex
tink chapter 13 . 8/16/2006
nice cliffy! Continue soon!
Forlorn Maiden chapter 13 . 8/16/2006
(lazy to login)

After reading BL and this, I have a feeling that Terra's ending won't be so happy. Either she dies, turns to stone, or leaves or etc. Please let me be wrong! Her ending was sad as it was in the show, so I hope you let her stay. :)

Anyways, I loved the chapter. The last line was perfect too! However I couldn't help but laugh whenever Batman killing her was mentioned. Hehe I know I shouldn't laugh. I love how you wrote Terra's personality-so childlike. It did seem Terra was confused and lost. Also, the description of her room and the color red was wonderful! She had told them she liked red, yet her room had none of the color.

Awesome job! Can't wait for the next chapter and if Robin will find her; or if Raven will kill her; and what is Slade gonna do?

Please do finish. :) Great job!
n231 chapter 13 . 8/16/2006
Is Terra going mad?
SignSeeker chapter 13 . 8/16/2006
Been a while for this one, it seems. I didn’t realize how much I missed Terra’s angst. *GRIN*

From the first sentence, your Terra voice drags me in. I mean I’m actually buying her point of view, sympathizing with her, even. I know I’ve said it before, but you are so good at keeping your characters unique and interesting.

And, oh, WOW. Her perspective on whole Robin/Raven thing is so delightfully skewed. I mean, she thinks Raven is plotting to have her assassinated by BATMAN? Holy crap, dude. Of course, Raven hasn't really given her any reason to think otherwise (even though anyone who really knows Raven would know that she would take a more direct approach and kill Terra herself if she really wanted her dead, as Robin pointed out in BL).

I loved this bit:

"Nothing had happened to Robin since she'd met him except him going out with Raven, and that wasn't anything like terrible. Well, it kind of was, since Raven was so mean, but she wasn't mean to him, so it shouldn't count as terrible. Probably."

That's just so awesome. She sounds like a child! Like her FT version, if you will. And I half-cringed half-grinned at the part where she claims to be a better kisser. It’s kind of creepy, considering.

Honestly, though, the girl is caught between a rock and a hard place. Well, except the hard place (or maybe the rock) isn't real. That's what makes Terra so frustrating: she's running away from imaginary threats and right into real ones. Silly girl. This is all due to lack of communication, I'm telling you. Actually, the whole part with her running away was very interesting, because in BL Robin assumed she was running to Slade, didn't he? But she just wanted to get away, sort of like in "Things Change". Of course, she WOULD go to the scariest place in town where no one would notice a strange man dragging her off:

"Then, she realized who it really was, decided that it wasn’t much better than Batman, and kept right on wishing she were dead."

Oh, noes. Who will save Terra, or will she save herself? My money is on Robin or Raven. Either way, I think this thing is coming to head very soon.

Can't wait for the next installment!
paprika90 chapter 13 . 8/15/2006
woah. what a cliffie! i was wondering when and if terra was going to escape. although i didnt see slade in teh picture when i thought about it. nice touch there. i thought it was a titan like mabe cyborg that caught her there but then it was slade. the part were he said "very cute robin", i thought that they had showed up or something lol! but i liked how you wrote her feelings towards the titans that everyone that she knew just lied to her and stuff. the conversation that she heard...well part of what she heard was interesting. although i havent read the next chapter of BL, that just tells me theres going to be some intersting stuff happening. now, will terra be help captive with slade for a few chapters and she will be reflecting or something? or will she be saved by her 'fellow' team mates? awsome chapter and i cant wait to read the next chapter ! _
Cylor chapter 13 . 8/15/2006
Terra... you fool.

(Sighs and walks away shaking his head.)
Kodukadvakch chapter 13 . 8/14/2006
Yay! This chapter was so angsty. I LOVED it! Slade ROCKS. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm weird. Well, keep updating, I'm loving this story.

~Kodu
RockyVRWolf chapter 13 . 8/14/2006
Uh-oh. Slade's back. Not good. More please.
Neonlike chapter 13 . 8/14/2006
Perfect,like you will update .
janedoe091170 chapter 13 . 8/13/2006
Ooh, updates!

Now, let me say from the very beginning that I liked the /tone/ of this chapter- it was somehow very sinister, and you could feel a sense of /change/ bubbling under the surface, a change that you could see- just barely- in Terra.

For the millionth time, I've got to emphasize how you write Terra despicably well. You make me so very, impossibly jealous. xD You'll have to put up with me saying that in every single review, but from the very beginning, I could just /feel/ Terra coming out in the writing style.

'They’d put them there. For her. They’d decorated it with green and yellow and brown, but her favorite color was red, and they didn’t care She’d told them it was her favorite, and they didn’t even care.

Red like fire. Red like blood. Red like Lady Macbeth in that play that she’d had to read last month because Robin made them take classes, and she couldn’t get the red out of her hands no matter what, it would never come out…'

'ZELMA! WE'RE CONCEPT BUDDIES! Haha, not really...it just made me giggle at first to see this in here, and then blink and think, huh? What am I doing, laughing at something as dark as this? 0_o

As far as Terra's misunderstanding of Robin and Raven's conversation, I think you handled the situation very well- other people often put in this type of plot device and completely fail at it; mainly because it feels forced and contrived, and when you think about it the details make no sense. Rest assured that your story falls into none of these categories. xDD

Now, believe it or not, I'm actually kinda glad I read Cognitive Dissonance first this time around, because I liked seeing Robin and Raven's first kiss from her point of view rather than the type kisses are usually written from [from people who are actually involved. xP] It was cute, in an awkward way, and this paragraph I adored for some reason-

"She glanced back to the living room and couldn’t decide if she was glad she did or not. They were kissing, and it kind of made Terra feel like she finally knew more than them about something, because she was definitely better at it than that. And not only had she been wrong about Robin’s eyes, but she was also wrong about thinking that he’d had sex—because there was no way Robin could have ever even kissed anybody before this. It was short and sort of at the wrong angle and reminded her of when she’d first kissed Beast Boy in the hallway, and Terra felt a little guilty when they broke apart, like she’d seen something that was supposed to be private. Which she kind of had."

It just had so many layers in it! - Terra's awkwardness at seeing it happen, her [slightly pathetic] relief that she 'finally knew more about them than something,' her reassurance to herself that Robin hadn't had sex [when in fact, he had,] and finally her guilt. All in one short burst of thoughts. Amazing. xDD

'Her fingers had grazed the heart-shaped picture frame that Beast Boy had given her last month, but she didn’t pick it up. It was going to sit right there, because Beast Boy didn’t like her any more than the others did—he was lying to her, just like everybody lied to her all the time. '

Aw, that made my heart ache. xP But seriously, I liked that paragraph because you display, quite subtly, how jaded Terra is.

'Then she could find another rock and float away above the skyline and out into the ocean, and she’d follow dolphins and wonder what the clouds looked like and not stop until she’d found some place far, far away where she didn’t have to be herself.'

That was beautiful.

'And Slade’s voice in her ear, his voice that was way, way too familiar, the unyielding mask leaned into her cheek and his hot breath wrapping itself around her as he spoke…

“Children shouldn’t play with sharp objects, you know. They might hurt themselves. They ought to find a responsible adult to handle such matters.”'

This is going to sound terribly sick and completely depraved, but believe it or not- despite everything Slade has done in both CD and BL to Robin and Terra- he still holds this bizarre, mysterious sort of appeal. Slade on the show, now, I love him to bits, and I liked these lines because the dialogue was just spot-on.

'Terra coughed, fighting for words. “Let—let me go—I don’t want to—”

“It doesn’t really matter what you want, does it, my dear?” Slade answered calmly. “It has come to my attention that you have been a very, very naughty girl, and I believe you will regrettably have to learn that such behavior will not be tolerated.”

“H-how am I gonna learn that?”

“Who knows,” said Slade, stroking her hair in a parody of reassurance. “But rest assured that you will learn.”

Terra was starting to think that learning would be worse than whatever Batman wanted to do to her.'

Holy god, that made me shiver. Excellent chapter, and you set the perfect tone for it.

[Note about beta-ing: I am so incredibly sorry I never got back to you on that. Urgh. I lost inspiration, lost Internet service, lost a lot of random stuff, then got it all back today! xD I'm working on it. And just let me know whenever is good for you, because I'm in no rush and I want whatever is good for you.]

~Nightlark