Reviews for Don't Ask Me How I Know
mabidiso chapter 1 . 10/18/2012
So damn beautiful. Dear lord I love this story. Holy hell, I want to read THIS Edward in EVERY FMA tale.
Radon65 chapter 1 . 2/10/2011
Wow, that was well done. Ed's fear was his mourning of the fact that he can't go back, not after what they did, was very real. The flashback was great.
Califaction chapter 1 . 10/10/2008
Cool fic. It's great to see someone addressing the disparity of Ed's age and responsibilities, of people's double standards and dual expectations, "you can never, ever forget that I'm a /kid,/ I'm /less/ than you" and "I can risk my /life,/ but you can't /tell/ me anything." Ed's rant was poignant and accurate and true-his search for consistency just a little bit heartbreaking in the assertion of the /lack/ and /need/ for one of these most basic requirements. It is great how Mustang thinks that Ed is, 'almost entirely correct.' Which part did he believe was inaccurate, I wonder? For me, I think it's the part where Ed believes that Roy 'could forget this all happened.' I don't believe that Roy could. You also make an interesting contrast between the Ed that is /really/ a child, running away and frightened at people with black coats, and the Ed that is a Major in the Amestris military, under Mustang's command, helping Mustang unpack his house. I have rarely seen a child's POV written so well, especially in fanfic. You also make a good comparison between Roy's childish behavior and Ed's own-it's the question, always, of "When do we grow up?" Is it age? Is it experience? Is it behavior? Is it, as Ed believes, when you run away and can't go home again?

One of my other favorite lines is the ironic comment from Ed's mother, "he gets a little moody...he'll grow out of it." Is moodiness something you grow out of? She seems to be implying that of course the transition into adultood will bring with it emotional stability. Are you only an adult when you're not moody? Can you only be /trusted/ as one adult would trust another when you're not moody? Because, yeah, Roy never sulks about anything...

The level of intimacy you build here is-unusual. But I like it. You make Ed helping Roy unpack his house the most natural thing in the world, keeping things IC with the exchange of witty banter. Ed's challenge and Roy's realization play well. "You're right," Roy says, in perhaps one of the best lines, and he and Ed smirk/smile wryly at each other, and it 'hardly fixed anything, but it was a start.' You leave things so open to possibility, so hopeful-that maybe, as 'time flows on,' all that is wrong with the world might be righted. Ed's transition into the adult world, into being a prodigy/major/child/warrior isn't pleasant-time doesn't seem to bring anything good, does it? Maybe Roy can change that. Roy's acknowledgement of the problem is the first step toward a consistent relationship built on /mutual/ trust and respect.

The only thing I could find fault with is, maybe, Ed's use of the word 'frickin'.' I think it was only once, but it was a little jarring- Ed just doesn't strike me as the 'frickin' type of person. Also, it doesn't seem like a particularly canon sort of word to use. Just a thought.

This fic made me think a lot. You've raised some good questions and brought up some interesting points, and they are imparted all the better for your obvious skill at writing (although I did spot a typo-at one point Al says 'riciculous' instead of 'ridiculous'). Dialogue, characterization, setting-5/5.

Thanks for writing and posting!
Kim CC chapter 1 . 5/23/2008
Angst and humor in one with the snark living on!

Snark on!
The Last chapter 1 . 6/29/2006
Very thought-provoking. Nice job!
Tamasha chapter 1 . 3/17/2006
You have a wonderful feel for dialogue, you manage to do with it what others need strings of detailed descriptions and adjectives to do. The characters were very true to life, and the subject matter was well-propounded, and deep. Great job!
tkmaxwell777 chapter 1 . 3/7/2006
Hi there! I just wanted to take a moment to let you know how much I enjoyed this fic. You demonstrated what makes FMA such a great anime with this story. The characters were actually canon, which is SUCH a relief to read after so many of the OOC fics. It was very well-written. I love the philosophical turmoil that Edward, Al, and Roy go through in the series, so this fic was an excellent read. So many of the FMA fics are just not up to this calibre, so I hope that you will continue writing. I'm not sure if you plan to continue this storyline, but I'd really like to see this develop into more, taking your realistic Roy/Ed relationship to a romantic level. I know I'll be looking for more of your fics! *huggles*

TK _
ArionSilverFeather chapter 1 . 3/5/2006
Omg that was the best! I loved it!