Reviews for The Phantom of the Opera
Shadowwashere chapter 1 . 12/30/2014
Love the story. I think this is the best story that I've read on this site. And I couldn't help but read it over and over again.
Miyako chapter 15 . 8/6/2014
I have read this so many times and it still gives me butterflies! I think it would have been awesome to continue it as a short side story. But then again, the ending of this was absolutely perfect!
drakenichols1 chapter 15 . 11/25/2013
So "The Phantom of the Opera", a tale of a "monster" and his "soprano". Made into a musical, remade as a movie. Music, drama, and a burning passion between the anti-hero and protagonist.

Simple plot. But adding demons to the mix... Just how much more epic could it get?

So this rendition of Phantom of the Opera, authored by fellow-fanfiction writer Shinji Shazaki, features well-known characters from the famous Teen-Titans, filling the roles of the original piece's cast, and adding a few original characters into the mix. Original and unforgettable, might I add. Truly a combination one would never expect to be done so well. - (hinting on failed attempt to do so himself).

This follows the plot of the original Phantom storyline with added twists. The author is someone entirely new to me, I've never read any of his works until now, and I can safely and confidently say that he is by far the best writer I've seen on this site, next to a certain expert on K-On fan writing.

Let's break this down. First, let's start with the story.

I honestly have not seen the original production so I cannot really comment much on how different this is other than the fact that supernatural elements and borrowed characters have had a place here. But to say this story is a masterpiece is an understatement. The narration is far more sophisticated than what I could come up with. I could see the passion and work Shinji has put into this.

He/she knows how to almost flawlessly depict the emotions of the characters in both first-person and third-person viewpoint. This proves to be challenging when you're trying to switch between perspectives and narration. The dialogue was excellent, the script was sophisticated, there were phrases that would seriously blow me away. It was a well-crafted story and revised plot of the original production.

Let's move onto the characters. This is a yuri/femslash story, so obviously the two main characters are both girls. From the Teen Titans, we have Raven play as the Phantom while Starfire plays as her soprano. Their relationship in the story is first shown when they have known each other for roughly two months already. We are then given a flashback later on about how they met. It was a mysterious meeting, one that needn't any presence from Raven at that time. Just her voice, urging Starfire to sing.

I like that. You show the characters well-into their relationship then explain later on how they met. That's something uncommon in stories. You can just jump in and fill in some blanks later on. It keeps you guessing until the time is right. It's a small aspect of the story that I like in particular, most not paying it any mind. Even the smallest of things can grip me since I love literature with a passion.

Then we have the supporting cast that actually play enormous roles in the growth of Raven and Starfire's relationship. The ever-so supportive Chaos and Kali filled me with warmth. Such kindness is so rare that it makes itself a gem of a quality among people. You can see a motherly relationship between Starfire and Chaos, and a sisterly bond with Kali. It is these people that despite their brands as supporting cast, they still hold significance and a place in the readers' memories to be more than deserving.

I honestly forgot about Jinx, Malchior and Blood around halfway. Not because they're pricks, but because they don't come out as antagonists as strongly as Robin. But the latter seems to be a very mainstream kind of "villain", an obsessed man that can never read between the lines and come up with his own delusions that bring him to denial. Nevertheless, the role fit him. And in the canon-story of Teen Titans, he's one of my least favorites next to Beast Boy.

Speaking of which, Beast Boy and Cyborg happen to be the weakest characters of the story for me. Honestly, while I found them interesting at the beginning of the story, they seem to be quite a bothersome addition to the cast as the plot progressed. Even if they had more screentime than Terra and Bumblebee, I feel that they've wasted such appearances when they could give more impact and relevance if Shinji wanted to. But alas, we need to focus on Raven, Starfire, the two awesome chicks that are on the same boat as them, and the true antagonist that is Robin.

I really wish you made Terra and Bumblebee more active here since they seem like really good characters. Sure they were often shown treating Starfire as friends should, but I feel that they have potential in adding to the story with their relationships with the managers. Side-tracking away from the main couple would actually work at some cases if done right.

The flow of the story was pretty steady in my opinion. Sure it had a few time skips by months, and I had to wonder just what can be done in that time. Yet it seems like Robin has taken a lot of beatings and spent very little time recovering. One would think that someone who's been through that much hell would take a hint that he's just not wanted. But nope, typical obsessed prick.

I like this story. No, scratch that. I LOVE this story. It would be good to go back and read it every now and then. Just to pass the time. But also to appreciate a good piece to get inspiration from. The passion and love put into this story grips me more than it should. I feel myself embracing this rendition of Phantom of the Opera since it has two of my favorite characters of a favorite series of mine getting the main roles.

Story is well-written, main characters were portrayed superbly, two supporting characters were an amazing addition to help the growth of the relationship, and the pacing was steady. What's not to like?

This story is worthy of a favorite. And the author deserves a favorite. I should check if he's still active. I wanna read any more works of his that appeal to me at first glance.

My final verdict of this story is: 9/10.

It would have been perfect if not for the forgettable characters, Cyborg, Beast Boy, Blood, Jinx and Malchior. Hell, let's throw Mammoth in there as well. God, his one major role was to attempt to kill Star and ultimately fail, having his own life end at the hands of our Phantom.

Yuri and Teen Titans, I recommend you to read this story. I'll try to spread the word and make this story known. It's a beautiful piece. I've said a lot, but not enough. But I will end this here before I overdo it. ...If not already.

Thank you, Shinji Shazaki! I hope to read more from you soon!
Seriadne chapter 15 . 7/17/2013
Oh my goodness...I don't even know how to begin. I'll admit that I had entertained the notion of a "Phantom of the Opera" story involving Raven (and possibly Starfire, I had considered at the time) but anything I could have written would not have measured up to the caliber of your writing.
Your language flowed beautifully, first of all. The dialogue was appropriate for the time frame and location, and not once that I saw did you stray from your period of history by mentioning anything such as a modern-day car or current theater equipment. The plot kept me guessing, something I love to have happen, and it was never tiring.
Now, away from the plot and onto the characters. You presented them near-flawlessly. Even though I was almost positive before beginning the story that Raven was the Phantom, it still created something of an element of surprise for me when my suspicions were confirmed. In addition, I am usually not much of a fan of OCs. Filler OCs are one thing (i.e. random store clerks who have one line in the entire work) but I am often put off by OCs that play as major a part as did Mesdames Dolan and Kali. I've just read far too many stories that overly glorified the OCs and/or presented them in a way that didn't flow with the story at all. With yours, however, I have no such qualms. By the end, I saw Dolan and Kali as canon characters as much as I saw Raven or Starfire as such, something that rarely happens for me. In short, I loved it.
Yes, this review is late - about seven years' late. It is also quite obviously long, something I rarely do. I'm incredibly glad that I had the notion to dig through the archives, and even more so that I stumbled upon this little gem. It's going straight into my Favorites list. Well done!
Je suis heureuse que j'ai trouvé cette histoire; bon travail !
*Seriadne*
Aquamarine99 chapter 15 . 4/21/2013
Extremely well written piece Shinji. The plot is well developed and keeps me anxious to know what's next. Besides it being a little confusing at times (eg. the dialogue), I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Aqua :)
Kryptonic Rhyme chapter 15 . 4/12/2013
Oh. My. Goodness. Although I'm not a hardcore RaeStar shipper, this was beautifully written. I just read the entire story in ONE SITTING. Absolutely my favorite of the pairing! My apologies for not reviewing each chapter, I didn't want to sound repetitive :)
Favorited.
-Kryptonic Rhyme
Georgina Walliczek chapter 1 . 8/18/2012
Alright, I have enjoyed this thoroughly. It made me so giddy. It combined my favorite novel with one of my long time loves for RavenXStarfire. It is truely amazing I'm going to go read the story you had posted for the original caracters next. This story truely made me smile. Make a second one please?! One with Starfires and Ravens musically gifted childen? It's amazing! I loved every second of it. Thank you so much. I truely enjoyed this dimond I the ruff. :)
Wolf-of-Five-Elements chapter 15 . 6/14/2012
Wow, amazing story! I have throughly enjoyed the entire ride and I liked your portrayal of all the characters (except maybe Robin who was kinda OOC. Though I understand he kinda had to be to fit his role). I'm glad that there's a (mostly?) happy ending too!
Kaitlyn chapter 15 . 6/6/2012
This is the second time I have read this magnificent piece and I never grow tired of it. This story is beautifully written and so is your other works!

I would be thrilled if you were to write a sequal!
EagleWolf05 chapter 15 . 1/11/2012
I have never seen the phanton of the opera so i passed this story hundreds of times after passing it one more time I clicked it I loved it it was a great story I loved the end
Miyako chapter 15 . 8/1/2011
It cant be over! can u make a sequel? that would be awesome if u did.

The thing I loved most about this story was the storyline and thw wording. I expected it to be a lot like the movie, but it was a lot better. PLEASE continue!
muzcgeek chapter 15 . 10/1/2010
wow. I know this review is coming in quite late since this story was finished back in 06 but here it is anyway. I have NEVER read such a wonderful story as this one! I LOVE it! I love the music and the Phantom from the original The Phantom of the Opera musical but always hated Christine and her lover boy and as much as I love Phantom I always thought the movie/musical was lacking in something. Your version is the TRUE version of how the Phantom of the Opera should of been! Congrats! I love to read and I've read thousands of stories and I don't say this to everyone but your version of The Phantom of the Opera is my favorite story by far! thank you so much for writing this story! Good job! :)
KITTYKAT chapter 15 . 7/25/2010
I LOVED THIS STORY! ONE OF THE BEST I'VE READ. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, I LOOK FORWARD TO READING MORE OF YOUR WORK IN THE FUTURE.
southampton chapter 15 . 7/3/2010
All I can say is WOW!

This is awesome- you did a most excellent job with this story.

I wish you all the best with your writing. Keep up the good work.
MagicalInsanity chapter 15 . 6/5/2010
I'm not one to review, but I must say: astonishing work.

Incredible and spectacular. It all fits, simple as that, it all fits, and this simply must go into my favorites. Other than that, there is nothing left to say.

Good job, and keep it up.

IM