Reviews for A Lady Called Death
Child of Dreams chapter 1 . 10/21/2016
(smirks)
Swedish, actually...
Riene chapter 1 . 7/2/2016
Nicely dark. Great descriptions about the cold winning over desire and pulling him down. His reaction at the end when the realization strikes is perfect. Vividly written, bravo.
magneticfield chapter 1 . 8/1/2015
I love this story. Definitely an award winner. Thank you.
qwertzuiop4 chapter 1 . 6/24/2015
For your information: Mozart isn't responsible for the plot, in fact he complained about ridiculous stories he had to turn into music (by the way, if you listen carefully, you can often hear an ironic streak in the melodies which contradict the singers' texts - e.g. the Lied "Ein Veilchen auf der Wiese stand..." a poem by Goethe, who was very offended by Mozart's interpretation).
And considering the fact that music is Leroux-Erik's obsession - he falls in love with Christine because of her voice, not because of her appearance or character - he would have been fascinated by composers like Bach, Mozart or perhaps even Wagner (whom I don't like) because their compositions were innovative and technically advanced.
Banana chapter 1 . 6/22/2009
I really enjoyed this story and the characterization of Erik was brilliant. He really creeps me out with his "whenever a woman annoys me I'll just beat her so she'll shut up". I recently read a synopsis of Don Giovanni and can't wait to go see it now.
MrsPhantomSylvia chapter 1 . 2/11/2009
I loved this one too! I'm going to read more of your story's!
schizosophia chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
wow.

amazingly written!

very, very well done!

briana
Onasariel chapter 1 . 4/13/2007
That was friggin AMAZING.
my-echo chapter 1 . 12/11/2006
Stef, my favorite authoress, you have, in all my sojourns through your varied works, never ceased to amaze, astound, and/or completely floor me. This one has only heightened my perception of that truth.

There are really only three words with which I can describe this piece:

Absolutely, morbidly WONDERFUL.

~Echo
HDKingsbury chapter 1 . 11/29/2006
"A Lady Called Death" is quite a nice diversion, especially to read on a dreary morning with nasty weather threatening (as it is in my case). I was made aware of it through the Dark Phic C2 community, so I should probably thank them (or her) as well.

I appreciate an author who is willing to return to the source material, and enjoyed your characterization of Erik. You did a very good job of it! Too many stories ignore Leroux altogether, but not yours.

And there's a nice chill to the story, with Maria wearing the scarf, pointing to her throat, and her coldness. Yes, quite a nice chill indeed.

Thank you for writing and posting this story.

HDKingsbury
MadLizzy chapter 1 . 11/28/2006
Well written, as always, and rather hypnotic. I found it spellbinding. Thank you for wharing, Stefanie Bean. ~ML
Dark Gotham chapter 1 . 3/7/2006
This is a really interesting twist. Great look.
Jennie J chapter 1 . 3/7/2006
Absolutely lovely intertwining of Erik's thoughts and experiences with the ongoing drama on-stage... And a foreboding of future threats to the new singer. I like all the little background details, abt the wine he drank, the books he'd read, to keep himself amused. Leroux just left us high and dry, here, much to my annoyance. But you've "built on" some hints dropped by Leroux, and expanded them... for example, Leroux' Erik declares that his Don Juan won't be simpering and mawkish, which I guess can seen as a swipe at Mozart, and you've padded out this supposition in your story. You bring out with loving care, the sensual appeal of strangulation for Erik... very chilling. Also, Erik's childlike malicious mischievery. Some lovely turns of phrase, with a wealth of innuendo and meaning for those who look below the seemingly innocuous surface ("the only woman who ever lifted her arms to me without the coercion of coin should have been a dead one").
Estelle Tiniwiel chapter 1 . 3/6/2006
This is a really powerful story. I like it.