Reviews for The shelter
sadjdapeihaois chapter 1 . 12/21/2009
Well aside from the fact that Myrtle was Muggle-born, which is kind of a big gaffe, this is quite good. The irony of that one line, "Nothing will harm you at Hogwarts" is lovely, heartbreaking. I'd actually love to see a fic featuring her mother after her death. It's so rare that you see fics that deal with family members of characters, except for Lily and James and some Molly and Arthur. I admit I'm a total sucker for any fic that brings in issues of World War II and surrounding events into the story (eg. Warsaw by Soz) and would love to see more of the sort.
Corisanna chapter 1 . 9/15/2007
"Nothing will harm you at Hogwarts."

Oh, that just KILLS. Kills me. Heart-wrenching setup there.
Miranda Took chapter 1 . 7/18/2006
"Nothing will harm you at Hogwarts."

I just couldn't help noticing the irony of this sentence. It's well written.
InkandPaper chapter 1 . 7/7/2006
Ah! I remember reading this story before I registered, it was one of the first I read on here. And I loved it! Did I review anonymously? I can't remember. So I'll review again anyway.

I thought (and still do!) that this is just great, not only does it have (I think) perfect grammar and no typos, it also has a brilliant twist! Myrtle!

Aw, I feel sorry for her mother. Being so happy for her, and yet we know what's to come...sigh.
getdeleated chapter 1 . 6/28/2006
Wicked. Honestly. I'd have missed most of these if you hadn't reviewed and that would have been a shame. So thanks.

Jobey in Error chapter 1 . 4/22/2006
Oh, man! You just, just, can't do that. Upon reading the summary - intrigued. Upon reading of the bombing - involved, admiring the description and scene-setting. Upon finding the girl was MYRTLE - oh, the turn of the screw. Terrible, terrible. But the terribleness was a good thing. It would have been just too cloying without it. Thanks to the timeliness of your revelation, the story arcs from horror to happiness - but then artfully doesn't stay there! I'm all envy. Sincerely,

Deb-lil chapter 1 . 4/13/2006
Myrtle, again before Stunning, really. I think you've done the honor of making anyone who reads successfully tick because of how much Myrtle really did 'enjoy' Hogwarts.

As always, fascinating perspective, and a very well written story. Great work!

Queen of the Badgers chapter 1 . 4/6/2006
I'm almost speechless. (Almost...) It's so sad. To be honest, I've never really thought about what Myrtle's life before and outside of Hogwarts must have been like. This little glimpse into her relationship with her mother, and the terrors they faced during World War Two, is just - wow.

You've used beautiful imagery: 'The pale light that emitted from her wand looked like a single firefly, lost and confused in the dark city'.

And, of course, those lines that produce an awful twisting feeling in my stomach: "you'll have a wonderful time. You will get friends", and "There are no bombs there, no air strikes. Nothing will harm you at Hogwarts." Ah, if only her mother knew there was far more to worry about than bombs and air's so awful. Why must you write such things?

No, it's good that you wrote this. Again you draw much-needed attention to more minor characters, like Myrtle, whose stories were often overlooked before.

All in all, another excellent fic. Keep writing those Myrtle fics!

QoB (Oh yes, I'm back. For a short while. Before I must go off and revise again. I'm sorry I haven't been keeping track of your updates, but I promise to read all that you've written when I have more time and am not being shouted at to get off the computer.)
fledge chapter 1 . 3/12/2006
Another of your ingenious twists. Who'd have thought of Myrtle? And how very sad if we know what's going to happen to her at Hogwarts. ust out of curiosity - how did you get this idea?
Luna Obsessed chapter 1 . 3/10/2006
Cute story! I'll always be astounded by your you come up with these ideas, I don't know!

Her mother's little sentence about the owl was great, but Myrtle's surprise at the letter being for her was even sweeter.

I like her mother's protection...she is clearly glad that her daughter will be going to Hogwarts.

What I like most about this story is this line:

Nothing will harm you at Hogwarts

It's so sad...overshadowing Myrtle's death later on...I feel so sorry for her...especially with the last line, full of excitement and childish merriment. It's sad to think of her now - as Moaning Myrtle, the depressed ghost. It's a shame that it had to happen to her.

Wonderful fic, looking forward to more from you soon. :)
Dead-Luthien chapter 1 . 3/10/2006
WOW! You don't stop surprising me. I bet this story is going to be a good one just like all the others. I never thought about writting a story about Myrtle. I can't wait for you to update!
Possum132 chapter 1 . 3/9/2006
I like the idea of this story - but I don't recognise Myrtle at all. And she was muggle-born, not a half-blood.
Hildegard the Short chapter 1 . 3/9/2006
You did a wonderful job with this story. I was taken by surprise when the person who recieved the letter turned out to be Myrtle though. But it is nice to read things from the point of view of an unusual character, such as Moaning Myrtle.