Reviews for Room to Breathe
00-night-eyes-00 chapter 6 . 9/11/2013
love it
Marz1 chapter 6 . 7/18/2013
Well writen and totally cannon compliant. Great job! Also good job making a chick-flick moment readable.
fangirl29 chapter 4 . 6/10/2012
Ugh! You ripped my heart out with your bare hands, shredded it to bits, and then stomped on it for good measure! Cheese & crackers! The anguish and pain these two inflict on one another and themselves is insurmountable! You make their pain so palpable! So AWESOME!
SupernaturallyEgocentric chapter 6 . 4/4/2012
Great story!
Victoriaswords chapter 6 . 4/2/2012
it was awsome:)
TheBigChillQueen chapter 6 . 2/28/2012
Ok...been reading ur stories for nearly 3 weeks now and I must say, I really love them! :D Angsty/Protective/Caring Sam is my total fave!

I really enjoy the amount of detail and symbolic phrases u use :) I get such incredible images when I read them X3 Ur brilliant :D Keep at it please!
infiniteternity chapter 6 . 2/21/2012
What a joy this was to read. Thank you for writing this. I honestly dont know what else there is for me to say. I'm just sitting here in awe. About 10 years spent reading various stories on this website, and I continue to be surprised by the level of sophistication that authors display.
Brightshadow-chi chapter 6 . 2/19/2011
wonderful sroty. loved it.
Rosetta Brunestud chapter 6 . 11/19/2010
That was really chick flick ahhah

Pretty cool Kinda OOC sometimes, but that's fanfiction, so that happens

Kisses and see you around

Rosetta
Avaerial chapter 6 . 7/10/2010
First things first, VERY beautiful my dear! This story was well composed, humorous, heart-warming, and full of such a great level of angst I felt myself almost sobbing at the end of chapter 5! My favorite part from this story was: "I took your t-shirt with me to college…I …I just couldn't make it without something of yours. She realized that I wore it when I was missing you the most, which was a hell of a lot of the time." It left me gasping for breath! Such a heart-warming chick-flick moment :)

Another thing that captured my interest immediately was your style of writing - So unique! I just love it! You have an interesting way of tweaking the small details, giving the illusion they are more essential then they really are, an example being Sammy with Dean's Metallica shirt. I found myself so wrapped up in your stories that I’m always on edge, gasping aloud and laughing at the worse moments. A few times my sister came in my room, making sure my sanity was in check :P

All in all, I loved this story! The angst was absolutely addicting! I love reading about the Winchester’s and you captured their emotional conflicts beautifully! Even through the toughest and most emotional situations Sammy and Dean always find each other, the most important element to any supernatural fanfic! Thank you for composing this story it was truly a joy to read!

Great job and keep on writing! :D
LittleLurker chapter 6 . 4/27/2010
Hi Cheryl,

wow, loved this story! Great action sequences, but also lots of hurt!Dean and angst for both brothers.

LOVED this description of Dean's feelings and thoughts so much:
Those were not the words that Dean had been bracing for. Hearing the fear in his brother's voice, the overwhelming concern... for him was just another nail in his coffin of guilt. 'Don't be nice to me, Sam! Please don't be nice to me!' he wanted to cry out, his soul breaking under the kindness, the love that he no longer deserved.

This sounds so true to what one can see reflected in Dean's eyes at times.

...and, once again Sam manages to hurt Dean even more though he set out to, wanted to protect his brother:
"Come on, Dean, we both know being alone really isn't something you're good at. Tonight is proof enough of that. What? It took you less than an hour before you needed me to come to your rescue," the harsh words severing more than the silence in the car.
Dean felt as if a knife had cut him down to the bone, slicing through his heart in it's arc. It was the assault he didn't expect, the fatal blow he hadn't known he had left himself vulnerable to.

The way you write Sam sounds true, too - even if it's not always the little-brother Sam, but sometimes
angry, furious Sam wanting to get one over on Dean. ...and then Sam's (more or less) instant remorse
together with the unspoken wish that he'd never opened his mouth.

"That's it! That's all you have to say? Good for you, Sammy!" Sam goaded, needing Dean to fight back, for things to tread into a realm where he could reach his brother, could beg for forgiveness. [...]
Suddenly Sam's breath caught in his throat, his eyes burning as he watched Dean, expecting the older man to throw him a ballsy smirk telling him that a joke had been played, a prank had been unleashed. But Dean remained still, distant, unattainable, his emotional vault doors sealed and locked. Sam felt something break inside him as he realized that he was the threat Dean was barricading himself against.

THIS, this was brilliant, too!
Also LOVED the descriptions about clothing, which you managed to intimately maneuver into another one of
the borther's misunderstandings of each other's silences because neither one of them does *chick-flick moments*.

Searching for his "night attire" namely a t-shirt and his shorts, he pulled out a pair of jeans that would have needed rolled up three times and a preppy shirt he wouldn't be caught buried in. "Sam's," he sighed, not surprised at the mix up in clothing. When it was time to vacate a premise, packing etiquette wasn't a consideration, getting away was. Digging further into the bag, he withdrew a t-shirt but he froze as he unfolded it. It was his shirt, the name Metallica embossed on the front an easy give away. But the thing was, this shirt, a shirt that he had once claimed as his all time favorite article of clothing, had been MIA for years... four years to be exact.

He could image how Dean would have unpacked the bag, nailing Sam in the head with each article of clothing that was his brother's. The thought should have put a smile on Sam's face, a smirk at least, instead he visibly swallowed, trying to shut down his thoughts. But the next piece of clothing that he pulled from his bag seemed intent on annihilating his dodgy control. Spreading his brother's shirt out on the bed, his fingers trembled as they brushed over the hole in the fabric... in the upper left shoulder. Clamping his eyes shut, Sam clutched the shirt brutally in his hands as if it were the garment that had betrayed his brother, had allowed him to be so cruelly wounded. 'No, I betrayed him, I let him be tortured,' he accused silently.

...and Sam's guilt about his failures (to protect Dean, to be there for him, even to be a better porter)
is nicely interwoven with uncovering Dean's clothing in his own bag.
Just a little style thingy: it would help if you could somehow mark the dream parts as such, i.e. by
having it displayed in italics or something.
I think I LOVED just about everything in chapter 5, and I honestly most of what I read then was very, very
blurry... but this short paragraph got me the most, I think:
As the door clicked shut behind Sam, Dean knew he had heard worse sounds in his life but right now he just didn't know when. Tightly wrapping his arms around his knees, Dean huddled there on the floor, broken, alone and victorious. Sam was going to leave, Dean wasn't going to get his brother killed. He would protect him... by letting him walk away tomorrow and never seeing him again.

Oh, and I just discovered that I also like resolute!Sam - A LOT:
"For four years you had all the room to breathe you could ask for," Sam stated, his voice steady, his stance like granite, his eyes blazing with unshakable resolve. "I hope it was long enough because it's going to have to last you. I'm not going anywhere, Dean." [...]
"Sure," Sam, crouching down, let his eyes fall level with Dean's before he continued, "ask me to do anything but walk away from you and I'll do it, Dean. You want me to die for you, I will. You want me to kill for you, give me the gun. But what I won't do is leave you alone again. So don't ask me to." His eyes as resolute as Dean had ever seen them.
And the end chapter was a blast on its own!
Loved this:
"You're the strongest person I know, Dean," Sam stated with pride in his voice, watching as Dean stiffened at his words. "Dad falters into a bottle for days, sometimes weeks on end. I ran off to college but you, you just stand and fight. Take a lousy hour of breathing room to drink a few shots, take a few puffs on a cigarette and then you get back in the game."
"Fighting is all I know," Dean's voice was as quiet, as open as Sam had ever heard it.
Sam shook his head, "No, all you know is how to save people. Me, dad, every stranger we meet who is in danger. You bleed for them. You would die to save them, to save Dad, to save me."
And the end chapter was a blast on its own!
Loved this:

...and then Dean doesn't know (or can't believe) how much Sam loves him, needs him, missed him,
and Sam's *confession* about his time at Stanford tore me up again, because Dean really needs to
have it spelled out to him.
"I missed you, Dean," Sam confessed, the words finally earning him Dean's attention. A tear slipped down Sam's face. "I took your t-shirt with me to college... I... I just couldn't make it without something of yours." He gave a teary laugh, "Jess and I had one of our biggest arguments over that shirt. She was gonna just throw it in the washer and I reamed her out, saying it was one of a kind, that it was valuable that it had to be hand washed and hung inside out to dry so the decal wouldn't fade." He shook his head ruefully, and looked at the floor. "We talked it over and I told her it was yours, that it was all I had of you. She realized that I wore it when I was missing you the most, which was a hell of a lot of the time."

God, I loved this entire story SO MUCH!

Thanks again for sharing this beautiful story!
Best, D.
pielover62 chapter 6 . 3/12/2010
About midway through the second chapter I realized that I had read this fic before, but I continued to read through it a again because it is just such a beautiful story! So many of the hurts and slights we each experience everyday are the result of a simple misunderstanding of another person's motive or intent. I think your story does a wonderful job of showing how this affects the relationship between the brothers. And I always like a happy ending.
Marlowe97 chapter 1 . 12/19/2009
Sorry, I just have to...

Quote:

a headache that threatened to bring him to your knees

Quote end

Oh please, I want a headache that would bring Dean to my knees. Please... *giggle*

Sorry. That was just about the funniest error I found in a fic yet.

Good story, a little too many exclamation-marks, though. Very painful to read, especially now that we know that Sam DID want to leave for another life again.
SeraphimXII chapter 6 . 5/9/2009
THis was freaking AWESOME! I loved it!

XII
wild-karde chapter 1 . 3/13/2009
This is a beautiful coda! Exactly what I would have loved to see in "real life" :) You write the boys with great insight; humor and heartbreak. Very nicely done! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!