Reviews for My Guardians
Heather Logan chapter 1 . 12/27/2006
Hey Warg, this is really nice! (Now that I've finally read Out of Time and got around to reading this...) You had some truly beautiful lines in here:

"Moonlight behind opaque clouds, living faces behind opaque shutters."

"...the steel in my hand steadies, flickering silver before mirroring me."

"A child’s eyes, a child’s smile, a killer’s sword..."

Great story; keep it up!
monsoonblues chapter 1 . 10/13/2006
I'm not familiar with the OC that you've written about, but I'll still tell you what I think of it otherwise (and I got completely lost when I followed the link to Siriusfan's profile to look for the OC)...you have an incredible talent for describing imagery, the colours, the metaphors, I think it's a very difficult feat to use metaphors and comparisons that don't end up sounding hollow or out of place, but you've pulled it off, and how.

I could very vividly picture the scenes, the angst seemed even more hard-hitting (I'd prefer to use impact-ful but I'm not sure that's a word) because you use short, abrupt sentences...and I bow to anyone who can pull that off, seeing as how I can't even say hello without the use of at least five words...
lolo popoki chapter 1 . 8/16/2006
Yay, Ushiro Ryu fic! One of my favorite OCs in the RK fanfic universe :D Once again, I'm pulled in by your vivid imagery, and descriptive prose.

"Ki, feral, enraged, predatory, screams and snarls in the vanguard of my skull"

Even though I know he doesn't die here in the original story, the tense and menacing atmosphere you evoke, and the uncertain way you leave it hanging at the end almost makes me forget that he WILL be rescued and not torn apart by the wolves before him... Nice work :D
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 5/7/2006
You really have created beautifully wrought images of the the fight about to take place. Your use of language creates amazingly vivid elements: "living faces behind opaque shutters", "the black veil of an alleyway","lupine shades followed","Bared blade gleaming crystalline, already colored crimson in his eyes". I really liked Kenshin's silent watch from the rooftops. I take it this is the Rurouni as he is deciding whether to interfere in his own past.
sueb262 chapter 1 . 4/12/2006
These are powerful images, moving almost subterraneously. Great use of color and shadow, and lots of very effective dramatic "stop-action", like when their eyes meet and Ushiro tips his blade, or when Okita steps out of the shadows-lovely work.

I wasn't sure about Kenshin's needing to decide about keeping his vow-I thought he didn't really "enter into" his vow until after Toba Fushimi, and this seemed like it would have been before that, but maybe it's a bit AU...

Wonderful piece!
Jasmine Reinier chapter 1 . 3/27/2006
o_o; Whoa, that was...AWESOME. I could see the entire scene in my head, down the the finest detail. Applaud you, Warg-sama. It was just...amazing. Once again, your amount of detail leaves me in awe.

_;; And I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner. Job well done.
Hitoezakura chapter 1 . 3/25/2006
I finally get to review (victory is mine!)

Back to reality now.

Anyways, this was such an amazing fic! I love how you draw in the reader with amazing description and imagery, and you constantly keep them hanging on as they explore Ushiro's thoughts and situations just before death. It may be angsty, but it's incredibly well-done!
angel chapter 1 . 3/22/2006
deep deep thoughts there, u had me :o for a second while i read it! keep it up and make 1 for me soon lolz..well done mwa
Amiya chapter 1 . 3/17/2006
You have some seriously good writing did a really good job of describing the scenes.I really felt like it was actually was like being in a dream.I know it sounds wierd but that's how it your language is up the good work.
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 3/11/2006
Nice atmosphere on this one.

Great descriptions of the night scene - the shadows, the eerie sight of the lanterns held by the shinsengumi while marching in formation, the effect of the moonlight on the street - it fit the dark and angsty tone of the story phenomenally well!
White Rabbit Tale chapter 1 . 3/11/2006
Thank YOU for participating! This is a lovely fic. I loved your first paragraph-you do a great job of drawing me in. Your descriptions are excellent-you choose the exact right words to set the tone. The pace is well-set. I can really feel the heightening suspense as I neared the end of this piece. This is such a sheerly well-worded story and so meaningful that I can't help but make it one of my favorites. You have definately done Ushiro justice!
charmed-sword chapter 1 . 3/11/2006
Ah, it's always a pleasure to read something of yours! I wonder, did you intend to make this 500 words from the start, or did it just turn out like this as you were writing? Just curious! :) I'm mesmerised by your choice of language here, and how you set out the scene, between what is happening in Ushiro's physical world, and also inside him. His thoughts are haunting and slightly foreboding, I felt a chill! The wolf analogy is also used to great effect, and goes full circle, with Okita 'pouncing' on him in the end. I really liked that! "Living faces behind opaque shutters.." Awesome line. Hoping to read more from you! :)
moeru himura chapter 1 . 3/10/2006
That was really good. You've captured a very tensed moment with art. Kenshin's dilemma to save both worlds again is captured here perfectly too, even if it was just in a sentence. And your descriptions are awesome. Simply worded but effective. Really nice!:P
anaemicfaeries chapter 1 . 3/10/2006
Oh...Wow. You have some incredible talent, you! We were sucked into this scene, it felt as if we were right there on the bloody streets of Kyoto, that's the power of your description, and your cleverly chosen words...that pack such a powerful punch...Poor Ushiro though. :( Liked that the Mibu wolves were in it! Great descriptions of Okita and Saitou, and our favourite Rurouni as well...and how he thought about his vow...and all in 500 words! You gotta write more of these! (and more Shinsengumi...we love those guys _)
SiriusFan13 chapter 1 . 3/9/2006
*glomps*

i love it i love it i love it:D

i really love the idea of throwing ushiro into an angsty fic, too...

great job. i really love your depictions of the shinsengumi, and your descriptions are amazing:)

*glomps again*