Reviews for Volée
Rosie chapter 16 . 23h ago
This story is brilliant and beautiful, shocking and sensuous! There is so much to say about this chapter but some other reviewers have already said it all so eloquently. I am so in love with this story and my only complaint is that it's not finished so I can't sit and read the entire thing :-) you are very talented and I am eagerly awaiting the next chapter
I neeed more! I have been unable to put it down since i stumbled upon it! You write spectacularly and ohmigawsh I just love the story! Keep it up I love you!
StakeMeSpike04 chapter 16 . 2/23
Ooooh drama! And Erik calls on her to make a decision! Honestly, I thought it was a long time coming. Sticking true to Erik's character, his complacency in just mulling on whether or not Christine chooses him can only last so long. After all, in the books and in the musical, Erik is impatient for an answer. When Raoul proposes to Christine and threatens Erik's relationship with her, he doesn't allow Raoul to come between them. Perhaps if there was no Raoul, Erik would let it drag out, feeling confident that no one else was in Christine's life, but so long as she has another option, Erik would make her make a choice.

Although I do think he genuinely enjoyed the time they spent together in complacency, happy to simply be around her and tip toe around the question. But she sort of forced his hand when she asked about Raoul (in his eyes, of course she did nothing wrong, she's engaged still!). Poor Christine - Erik isn't giving her the space she needs to sort through her feelings, and she has no healthy way of doing so. I'm curious about what the eventual reunion of Christine and Raoul will be like, because I feel like there has to be some sort of reunion in order for them all to move forward. I'm also curious to see if the issue with Vrioni is really resolved or not. Bring on the conflict/drama!

Your story is a gift to the world. I hope you know how much it is loved and how much you inspire us all.

Waiting with bated breath for the next installment, I am,
Your obedient reader,
StakeMeSpike04
Opera Cloak chapter 16 . 2/22
I've been following this story for a long time, and I just want to say how much I love it. I think this chapter is absolutely stunning. I LOVE your characterisation of Christine, and I think she understands Erik better than he understands himself. The dynamic between them is portrayed beautifully. Thank you for continuing to share this story with us!
Lot666 chapter 16 . 2/21
Honestly, each time I get a notification for an update on this story, it makes my week. Is that a bit sad?

I would have reviewed sooner, but I’ve been doing a bit of continent hopping of my own, and I wanted to do it properly, not with crappy wifi and from my mobile! (No matter what I’m doing though, you might like to know, when I get a Volee chapter update, I drop everything and read!) Anyway, in no particular order, thoughts on this chapter:
The character arcs in this story amazing. Each chapter there are new and exciting developments, I think it’s one of your greatest strengths as a writer. (That, and an incredible dedication to research. I LOVE looking at the architecture and design pictures on your tumblr. All in such good taste! And the research into designers, legal systems, technology, music…it’s all amazing. Each time I think “wow, Erik is so attractively knowledgeable”, I have to remind myself that whatever Erik knows, the author knows too!)
In this chapter, I loved how Christine’s vocal mastery (the bit where you wrote “But she was a professional now, a singer in control of her own voice”) kind of corresponds with her growing strength as a person. We’ve seen a remarkable change in recent chapters, when compared with the beginning (Christine being dragged, metaphorically…and, well… literally, into this mess passively by Erik) and now, chapter by chapter she’s standing up to him more, becoming a more active agent in her own choices, better knowing her own mind etc., just as her voice is maturing. It was good- not symbolism, I don’t really know what you’d call it- but it drove the point home effectively. I don’t know if you meant to make those things correspond, but even if it wasn't intentional I felt it worked really well!
I’m kind of embarrassingly in love with this couple. All the tender moments, like all that eye-catching, and each time one makes the other laugh, I have to “aww”. (“Of course not. I bought it….with money that I stole.”- That line made me laugh out loud). You’re great at writing both a passionate and tender Erik which I love. It’s the small things that tell the reader that despite everything, this couple do really care very deeply about each other. I do get the feeling now that Christine is in love with him, and that revelation at the end of last chapter was very exciting! I wonder if she has been, all along, and has only realised/ admitted it to herself now, or if it was on this journey that she fell in love with him. (Which would be kind of funny, since despite it being totally immoral and everything, by taking her Erik *did* actually get what he wanted.) Obviously she has cared about him for a long time, and I don’t know if you even can draw the line between “in love” and “not in love”, but I guess it had to happen at some point.
This chapter felt bittersweet. How Christine telling Erik that she was happy with him basically made his entire life. Not her kissing him, or telling him she was in love with him…just her saying she was happy in his company. Aaaand then in typical Erik style he has to of course jump the gun and try and propose (again) before she’s ready.
I can kind of see it through his eyes though. Even I felt the tension mounting and mounting in this chapter and I felt like something big HAD to happen. The little glances, Christine’s budding affection and love, the way they couldn't stop looking at each other, that passionate composition…I felt like we were racing towards something big. And of course it kept me at the edge of my seat. I thought they might kiss- but I’m glad she didn’t succumb to the temptation. She wants to be 100% sure before doing something like that. But the proposal came as a shock! Lots of fun to read, I love being surprised, and actually, makes perfect sense thinking from Erik’s point of view. He just loves her so desperately and can’t wait for her to be his, and will jump at any encouragement, any opportunity. It’s actually quite intoxicating just how much he loves her. It also shows that he has some more developing to do, though (which is good in my eyes, ‘cause it means more chapters!) I feel though that he’ll only be truly ready to “have” her (terrible wording, you know what I mean) when he’s finally experienced letting her go. When he’s finally pushed away his desperate, selfish wants and said, it’s your choice, I have to stop putting this enormous pressure and influence on you, if you want Raoul you want Raoul, and when what he wants most above everything is her happiness (as Christine points out at the end of the chapter), even if that means never seeing her again. That was what made the original story so beautiful- that transition Erik makes from loving selfishly to selflessly.
I also found it quite heartbreaking, the proposal. Shocking, initially, but then just really, really sad- how he begins with such hopes and confidence, becomes more and more desperate, and the line “Dammit, Christine, say something” really pulled on the old heart strings.
And he’s still pretty delusional. “You prefer a life on the run with a platonic companion to taking your odds with De Changy’s plan.” Well, wow. Does he really believe that? How can he possibly think that little of her? I like to think he’s just lashing out in anger, saying anything he thinks will hurt, or just saying it because he’s afraid of it being so. And accusing her of manipulating him, “How deliberately you must calculate your behaviour”…I feel like they took ten steps back in this scene, and their relationship was doing so well! It works, though. Character development is hardly a straight line.
I’m wondering if there’s going to be much more action-y type stuff before the “final lair” (or equivalent). Loving the fluff and the angst, but I loved the action – the fistfights and the speeding on the highways and the near helicopter flight. I wonder if there will be more of that, or if Agent Khan will make an appearance before the end. Or if Vrioni will return.

I’m so invested in this story, and so excited to discover what you have planned next!
ShadesofPemberly chapter 16 . 2/20
I am impatiently awaiting the next update. I admit, I am engrossed! Excellent writing. The only frustrations are having to wait for the next installment and the knowledge that Erik and Christine still have so far to go! Of all the reading I have done on this website (too much) and all the half-finished stories I have given up on (too drawn-out, not captivating) yours is the one I keep coming back to. Please, please keep it coming!
russomaha chapter 16 . 2/19
How do you manage to make each new chapter better than the previous one? Even this supposedly moderately paced 'fluff' chapter is still dynamic enough and so enthralling that I had stayed glued to the screen till I read the very last word.
And Christine growing a backbone? Great move, but I'll be very interested to see how she (you, as a writer, actually) will manage to do so beside such a dominating character as Erik. Because the way I see it, they will be arguing with each other till hell freezes over. So, good luck with making them make peace and... you know... love.
I love the vocabulary you use! Words like platonic, mercurial, platitudes, insipid...they all are fantastic! I can practically feel the chemistry between Erik and Christine when they talk...even when they argue. Also, you had Christine tell Erik what I've been wanting every Christine to tell all their respective Eriks in every fanfic...'your face is not the reason why every negative thing happens to you, and people are not all inherently evil and out to get you!' Hopefully Erik will listen to what Christine said. Anyways, that was an awesome chapter, perfect combination of fluff and angst!
Wandering-Phantom chapter 16 . 2/18
You know, I really understand Christine. Erik is a hard man, even though he makes her happy right now. He is not the kind of guy you can just tell yourself "well, let's just give it a try and see where this is going". With him, she needs to be sure, like 200% sure ! Because there is no going back. And what she needs right now is closure regarding Raoul. That's why she needs to talk to him.
But I do get Erik too, he is making everything he can for her to be happy and she is not giving in. It must be frustrating. Too bad he is not really listening to her and thinks everything revolve around himself.

Well, the slow burn is killing me anyway ! lol
Nade-Naberrie chapter 16 . 2/18
This is your best chapter yet, hands down, full stop. I am completely blown away by all of your thought-provoking insights into their relationship in the first section - I don't even know where to start quoting, because every sentence is so packed with gems that I could go off on an essay-length tangent a hundred times over. I'd have to say that my favorite is her realization that in every aspect of her life, Erik has always "mattered" to her - even when the associations were glaringly negative, the fact that it had such a deep and profound impact on her is telling in and of itself. The comparison of their feelings to ocean waves was also wonderful imagery, gorgeously laid out. So different from steadfast Raoul - I'm thinking he'd be more of a glassy pond. ;) Predictable, safe, but without the tumult, the breathtaking highs and devastating lows.

And, oh, how I loved that moment of rapture when he was listening to a recording of her singing. His love for her is so palpable in this chapter. It burns right off the page. It made it that much worse - gutwrenching, really - when it peaked with his proposal, because you knew the moment those words were out of his mouth how they would go over with Christine. She's right there at the tipping point, she's JUST coming to terms with her feelings, and the timing was so disastrous it left a pit in my stomach (similar to the original story - there were so many moments that could have gone a different way if Erik hadn't jumped the gun or lost his damned temper!). This chapter had me writhing, because it was PERFECT in its execution, and AWFUL because it put their relationship about five steps back. *sobs* They were doing so WELL too!

Did I mention that this was your best chapter ever? Sheesh.
Nade-Naberrie chapter 15 . 2/18
My favorite insight of this chapter (besides the last sentence, of course) was Christine's fear that Erik had built her up to be so perfect in his mind that she could never compete as a real person. That's such an interesting thought, and it falls right in line with her comment in the previous chapter that she can't be his conscience. In Erik's mind, she truly is the embodiment of everything that is good and right in the world; he absolutely puts her on a pedestal, and I think it's fair to say that his perception of her is far more otherworldly - angelic, if you will - than she could ever live up to. Of course, he'd never agree with that, and it's sweet that he insists that their time together has been more wonderful than he could have imagined. But sweet or not, she's right. She can't be his example of purity or perfection, because she is human too. It would be exhausting to try to live up to.
Nade-Naberrie chapter 14 . 2/18
I literally laughed out loud at this line: 'A brief look that almost seemed like... mortification... flashed in his eyes, which was odd; but then he was quickly responding. "A doll. Of course - no. That's not at all what I want. I hope I have never implied such a thing." '

*very... subtly... hides... Life Size!Christine Barbie*

But the line about how everything HAS to be about his face, or else it's a reflection of his character... hit me squarely in the gut. Ugh. As in, it's in your soul that the true distortion lies? Him coming to that self-realization, and feeling the desperation and devastation behind it, is killer. I can't even.
Nade-Naberrie chapter 13 . 2/18
Well, I'm late to the party, as usual. And what a party it's been! I just read through these past 4 chapters ravenously without stopping, so now I'll go back and review each one for you. Because you deserve it, obviously.

I love them drinking together like comrades, like equals, in this chapter. I love that Christine has finally summoned up the nerve to call him out on his "communication shortcomings" (ha!). The fact that she's laying down ground rules of sorts, expectations for him, for their relationship, for their conduct - means that she intends to continue pushing forward, which is heartening. :)
Boydje822 chapter 16 . 2/17
This chapter was amazing! It just floors me how you're not only able to produce such brilliance and quality in every chapter you post, but that you're also capable of constant improvement and redefining my expectations with each passing update... Please keep up the fantastic work (and hopefully, update again soon)!
seraph12 chapter 16 . 2/17
Wow, so beautifully written. I love your writing style and can never get enough of your work. I keep re-reading the previous chapters in between updates. This is one of my favourite chapters as the character development is fascinating to watch. Ironically Erik falls in love with Christine for her strength, and she stands up to him and turns down his proposal. Let's hope he changes his disordered worldview so she can finally say yes one day!