Reviews for Greenwood Passage
Jade Catherine chapter 1 . 3/27/2010
Wow, that's crushing. And very, very well written.

One quibble: when Shun tells Mitsuru, Shinobu, and Kazuya that he suspects Kio-chan is a girl... that seems inconsistent. Spilling a secret that Kio-chan has guarded so closely is surely a very inconsiderate thing to do, and Shun has been so sympathetic all this time.

Anyway, thank you. A great, if painful, story. (Now I'm going to treat myself to the alternate ending.)
pixiekitn chapter 2 . 6/20/2007
This was beautifully written and sadly all too realistic. I'm transsexual, I know what it's like to be pushed to the edge of suicide. I love finding these rare gem stories that speak to that pain and remind me what keeps me going. I hope to see moe of your work, you have a talent with emotion.
JWG chapter 1 . 5/10/2007
Thought you ought to have more than seven reviews for this fine tale. It's all I've come to expect from you as far as technical excellence. And heart-ripping tragic. Sadly many parents (and people) react with anger and manipulation to situations and behavior they are uncomfortable with. Many people use anger to try and regain control of those situations. I've had to bite my tongue when my daughter brought home guys who just didn't measure up. I suffered through that knowing (Ha, who am I kidding, read: with my wife telling me, "Don't you say a word.") that to kick against the pricks would only driver her to him more. (And my wife was right. The loser's gone and a good guy will walk my daughter down the aisle on June 23.) I know Kioshi's only a character, but there's too many real kids who step in front of a train because someone (not just Dads) try to control them with anger and manipulation. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. Love them because they're your child and believe they'll make more right decisions than bad ones in the long run.

Great work Julie-san!

The second ending was nice, but the first bites deeper.

gure chapter 2 . 2/25/2007
What an interesting fic! Tragic, yes, but good. You addressed an incredibly sticky and complicated topic in a delicate, kind manner. I also like that the way you approached it could be applied more generally into the category of 'the pain of not fitting in'.

Less seriously, it was nice to see Shun as more than just comic relief.

The alternate ending was certainly happier, and it was wonderful to see Kioshi get his normal clothes and hair back, at least for a little while, but I liked the original ending best. Maybe I'm just morbid, but the first version just seems more likely, given the situation.

Regardless, this is a excellent story, and I very much liked it!
myrrdinowl chapter 2 . 8/13/2006
your two chapters here really tell a truly poignant story. one is definitely tragic, while the second ends on a happier note, but still retains some element of tragedy. both chapters are well thought out and very well written. i enjoyed them both.
Havoc chapter 2 . 8/7/2006
Thank you for both endings. I nearly cried both times, believe it or not. If you have a sequel in you, by all means feel free to write it; if not, I understand, and thank you again for this wonderful story.
Heather Haze chapter 1 . 6/29/2006
Brilliant from beginning to end. Your skillful use of dialogue to paint a story really stands out here. Although I was completely unfamiliar with "Here is Greenwood," you managed to draw me into the characters (especially Shun) as if I'd known them all along. I loved the way you artfully doled out clues about the source of Kioshi's pain without ever giving too much, saving the final revelation for the very last sentence. This is the mark of a very disciplined and effective writer.

If I had to pick one area of the story I felt might have been stronger, it would be during the scene when Shun discovered Kioshi was dead. It felt just a bit rushed, to me. I would have liked a chance to allow the emotional impact of this news to sink in before moving on. You more than made up for this in the following scenes, however, as Shun slowly discovered the truth behind Kioshi's demise.

Thank you for this touching, albeit tragic, story. I'm looking forward to many great things from you!
MotherCHOWGoddess chapter 2 . 4/21/2006
This was beautiful and sad; I understand why you felt you should go with the first version, but I'm glad you shared the alternate ending with us.

Sometimes the 'sad' ending really is the 'proper' ending, because life isn't always fair.

Thank you. I hope you will write other stories for 'Greenwood'.
Sindeniirelle chapter 1 . 3/29/2006
This was sad, but touching and lovely.
BookofNicodemus chapter 1 . 3/17/2006
This was tragic and beautiful. Perfectly executed with just the right amount of humor to make the tragedy so devastatingly striking. Please, write more. This is something worth reading.