Reviews for All Things Considered
No Demand for Truth chapter 1 . 6/22
This was a very well done story, and there was only one thing I found missing from it. The transition Dean seemed to make from disapproval to conversion. Maybe the largest thing in the piece, in relation to a character study of Dean. I loved the intimacy of the characters and your knowledge of them. A real pleasure to get a peek into their lives. Thanks for writing!
Clara Brighet chapter 1 . 12/1/2014
Wow. That was good. That was good quality writing right there. Bravo. chapter 1 . 11/7/2014
I guess this could have actually happened after John had had more than a few drinks and he would have been devastated afterwards, realising what he had done. Interesting ... and very well written.
EndlessLabyrinth chapter 1 . 11/20/2012
sniffle... so good, yet so sad :( seriously though, this is an incredibly well written one shot! such a deep topic that isn't always brought up in the show. you dove into a more serious aspect of Dean's character and did a wonderful job of it! thank you for sharing!
thethreebroomsticks69 chapter 1 . 10/5/2012
Great story. I really enjoyed reading but ... at the end ... and I never got this in the show either ... what exactly did Dean mean? Was "all things considered" a positive statement as in, he had his (drunk) moments but other than that, he was all good or was it ... Sam never had to deal with drunk Dad so ... he never knew ... ?

Btw, John Winchester is one of my favorite characters and I think this was one of the most honest portrayals I've read of him yet.
BlackIceWitch chapter 1 . 5/13/2012
Very well written, thought through and credible story for the Winchester past.
Living in a fantasy chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
This is very well done. I never believed John was abusive, but I always suspected something small like this had happened.
stilljustceci chapter 1 . 10/13/2009
OMG, that Nightmare episode broke my heart. And this story broke it again! I do often sympathize with John though. He made some poor decisions, but how hard was his path? Gah, I adore Dean.
Entrelac chapter 1 . 9/26/2009
Yeah. All things considered, Dean and Sam are WAY better off than they could have been. They understand right and wrong, they do what they can to try to help others, and they have each other to remind them that as craptastic as things might get, neither of them is alone.

And I totally feel that shying away from dad thing. I was there once. ONLY once, thank goodness. (But no alcohol involved, just a lot of teenager emo angst and plenty of shouting.)
mila chapter 1 . 5/19/2008
i gotta tell ya when 'sam' said that. i kinda was thinking the same thing. like it could have been worse but it still happen.

good insite. personally im not a john screwed his boys up ya dig?...but gotta luv the show anyway right.

much props
tehstripedpajamas chapter 1 . 4/30/2008
little long, but cute
Rat chapter 1 . 4/10/2008
If you consider credit card fraud, grave desecration, monster hunting, and no permanent address to be okay, then all things considered, they turned out great... thanks to John.

Great fic.
elderwitty chapter 1 . 2/3/2008
I'm not sure what to do with this one. I'm pro-John all the way and it pains me to think of him ever hitting either of the boys. But from what's been said on the show and what I know of what alcohol does to people, it's all too possible.

The boys are very much in character here. Dean, willing to trust and forgive as long as promises are kept. Sam, unable to reconcile the perfection he wants to see in his hero with the reality of the human being he lives with.

I can see where Dean and John would go on a co-bender as an affirmation of life after fearing each other lost on the hunt. After all, as big tough manly men they are ineligible for the hug fests/crying jags that are so useful for getting out trapped emotions.

Last thing. How much does it break my heart that 3 year old Sammy forgives so easily? So, so much.
C chapter 1 . 12/8/2007
Nice take on things, I imagine it might well have gone like this.
Jan-AQ chapter 1 . 7/5/2007
Great fic! Haha i loved the second to last scene, when Dean AND his Dad got drunk together and then decided not to do it again for awhile. LOL. Thanks for sharing!