Reviews for All Things Considered
TheYmp chapter 1 . 12/28/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards-Short Story/Canon-Dec 2015

This is well written story - but it's a difficult subject matter and while I'd prefer your interpretation to be true, for me this is "fix-it fic" not canon.

Sam makes a couple of comments in the pilot about John's heavy drinking - and it's not until season 7 that he actually comes out and says "you don't want to see him when he's been drinking" (however we want to understand that). But I understand how it was important to you to defend John in the context of the time that this was written.

From a strong beginning, I did think the last scenes were more "tell not show", but the characterisation was very good and sympathetically done.
SPNReadingManiac chapter 1 . 12/9/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review : December 2015

Very well-written, and a pleasure to read, this story is as memorable for its understanding of the situation as it is for the meticulous characterisation of all three characters. If only the series writers and a percentage of the fans would take the time and trouble to watch and understand the episodes as well as you have so clearly done, perhaps the characterisations 'errors' being touted in later seasons would not have occurred.

Here, it's clear Dean bears his memories of times that were not all roses and rainbows stoically, but also with the understanding of what his father had to endure, and the same forgiveness he showed as a child. Not a regressed and angry response, but the response of a man who has gone through his past, has thought through his memories and has given them a framework of adult responsibility and maturity. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to see this character like this-showing oh, so clearly what is visible in the episodes but with reasons and memories provided.

He has considered what their childhood was like and how strong his father had had to be to make sure he didn't take out his grief and fear and anger on his children; considered too that no one is perfect one hundred percent of the time and that the best of us fail at what we attempt, to err being human.

A story to keep, to treasure and to re-read. Thank you very much for sharing your time and talent.
BlackIceWitch chapter 1 . 12/7/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards : December 2015

An understanding and clearly objective look at adult behaviour that isn't monstrous, but merely human and that each and every person on the planet is all too capable of. Crisp, clear writing delivers a lesson that the episode hinted at - no one is a saint and fallability comes along with being alive, being able to feel and of feeling too much, from time to time. Your characterisation, dialogue and description are, as I've always found, truthful to the canon and what was definitively shown of the characters and more importantly, compassionately truthful to the situation that all the characters found themselves in. Thank you.
No Demand for Truth chapter 1 . 6/22/2015
This was a very well done story, and there was only one thing I found missing from it. The transition Dean seemed to make from disapproval to conversion. Maybe the largest thing in the piece, in relation to a character study of Dean. I loved the intimacy of the characters and your knowledge of them. A real pleasure to get a peek into their lives. Thanks for writing!
Clara Brighet chapter 1 . 12/1/2014
Wow. That was good. That was good quality writing right there. Bravo.
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 11/7/2014
I guess this could have actually happened after John had had more than a few drinks and he would have been devastated afterwards, realising what he had done. Interesting ... and very well written.
EndlessLabyrinth chapter 1 . 11/20/2012
sniffle... so good, yet so sad :( seriously though, this is an incredibly well written one shot! such a deep topic that isn't always brought up in the show. you dove into a more serious aspect of Dean's character and did a wonderful job of it! thank you for sharing!
thethreebroomsticks69 chapter 1 . 10/5/2012
Great story. I really enjoyed reading but ... at the end ... and I never got this in the show either ... what exactly did Dean mean? Was "all things considered" a positive statement as in, he had his (drunk) moments but other than that, he was all good or was it ... Sam never had to deal with drunk Dad so ... he never knew ... ?

Btw, John Winchester is one of my favorite characters and I think this was one of the most honest portrayals I've read of him yet.
BlackIceWitch chapter 1 . 5/13/2012
Very well written, thought through and credible story for the Winchester past.
Living in a fantasy chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
This is very well done. I never believed John was abusive, but I always suspected something small like this had happened.
stilljustceci chapter 1 . 10/13/2009
OMG, that Nightmare episode broke my heart. And this story broke it again! I do often sympathize with John though. He made some poor decisions, but how hard was his path? Gah, I adore Dean.
Entrelac chapter 1 . 9/26/2009
Yeah. All things considered, Dean and Sam are WAY better off than they could have been. They understand right and wrong, they do what they can to try to help others, and they have each other to remind them that as craptastic as things might get, neither of them is alone.

And I totally feel that shying away from dad thing. I was there once. ONLY once, thank goodness. (But no alcohol involved, just a lot of teenager emo angst and plenty of shouting.)
mila chapter 1 . 5/19/2008
i gotta tell ya when 'sam' said that. i kinda was thinking the same thing. like it could have been worse but it still happen.

good insite. personally im not a john fan..it screwed his boys up ya dig?...but gotta luv the show anyway right.

much props
tehstripedpajamas chapter 1 . 4/30/2008
little long, but cute
Rat chapter 1 . 4/10/2008
If you consider credit card fraud, grave desecration, monster hunting, and no permanent address to be okay, then all things considered, they turned out great... thanks to John.

Great fic.