Reviews for Lightsabers Through the Neck
fiesa chapter 1 . 1/10
I was a bit confused about this story - it says Qui-Gonn in the character list, but it's about Dokuu, really, isn't it? Wasn't he on the list?

Either way, I wouldn't have read the story if it had Dokuu's name on it, I don't particularly care for the Sith Lords. But since it was Qui-Gonn, I came here, and I'm glad.

I really enjoyed the way you set up the story: the premises of a person dying, and seeing his life pass before his eyes, is not new, but it's also now what you do. The short description of what he sees and hears before he dies are interesting, and the ending was beautiful. It seems like Dokuu had a quite interesting life, as well, colorful and /a life/, with everything it entails. I liked how he forgot everything, not only the bad but also the good things, and how nothing remained, in the end.

The words of the Jedi-Master, the ones he remembers, about the fall, are very well-chosen, and I like the many implications they have. The image of laughter in the Force was my favorite one, next to the one of a small Qui-Gonn being calmed by his Master.

And of course, I wonder if he really doesn't remember, or if he choses not to remember.

All in all, this was a beautiful story, and I'm glad I decided to read it! Thank you for sharing it here.
ErinKenobi2893 chapter 1 . 5/18/2014
:'-( *sniff* Now I feel sorry for Dooku.
Shelomit chapter 1 . 7/10/2013
It would take more characters than I am allowed to enumerate everything that is good about this fic, so I shall have to limit myself to those that struck me as particularly apt:

The way Dooku manages to salvage only impressions, if vital ones, from the dialogue and action going on around him. On one count, he seems a little miffed that he cannot, at the last moment, quite concentrate. On another, it lends his death a sense of arbitrariness-which, to be fair, would probably also annoy him. There is nothing special about it; he cannot, in a kind of morbid curiosity, catalogue its terrors. It simply happens and is over with, and he is over with.

You have not made this into a flash-before-your-eyes evaluation of Dooku's life; in fact, the point is that you have not. There are a couple of sentences, however, in which he seems to have hit upon the foundations of everything that went wrong with him. "He doesn't remember when he had let people touch him;" "He doesn't remember what made him so angry in the first place."

The sense that he already has come to view his fall as denigrating, but is still trying, even among the confusion and terror of death, to salvage what dignity he still has. If more naively, your little!Dooku is just as concerned about appearances as he will be eight decades later. As the twig is bent, I suppose?

A prose style that is complex and nuanced without becoming (as heaven knows mine tends to be) overbearing. It has sufficient strength to support its elegance.

A high standard of technical excellence; there is a "that" where there should be a "who," but in such a story, who could not forgive a "that"?

And of course, all your readers are doubtless pleased that you have given our dear Dooku a hope for redemption.
lealila chapter 1 . 7/17/2011
Really, really beautiful look on Dooku's death. And the ending really just made this-baby Dooku, and the line "You didn't fall very far." Symbolic of his life.

Like Nelarun said, I'll never look at Dooku the same. Marvelous, marvelous, job.
Nelarun chapter 1 . 2/21/2010
This was beautiful. It really was. It is amazing how you poured so much life into this man. Honestly, I'm never going to look at him the same way again. I've always liked him, but you've brought that to admiration. And the way you had it so that he was utterly afraid of returning to the Force because he was terrified of Qui-gon's rejection... It was simply beautiful.

Nela
Bazylia de Grean chapter 1 . 3/30/2009
A wonderful story...

The last scene when Yoda helps little Dooku get up, and his words... You almost made me cry :)

This gets a fav, definitely.

PS I had a quick look through your other fanfics - you write Dooku fabulously.
0-MrDragon-0 chapter 1 . 10/9/2006
I loved the closing sentance to this fic, it made it all the sweeter.
Athena Leigh chapter 1 . 8/12/2006
Still good. Poor Dooku, I love your sympathy for him. You write him like no other. Your characterization encompasses every aspect of him, and this piece is a prime example of that. You are awesome. Baby Dooku!
helgaleena chapter 1 . 8/4/2006
You need to take the meep off the end. It's like not unwrapping the cough drop.
Cael Fenton chapter 1 . 5/21/2006
This is quite possibly my favourite of all the things you've written – in fact, it's probably my favourite Dooku fic of all, which surely qualifies it as one of my most beloved fan fictions of all. I don't so much like it because the style, presentation and ornamentation of the prose is so vastly different [at first sight] from your usual writing, but because despite the experimentation, your voice still speaks so strong and clear and lucid through the vivid prose. That is what's very important to me, especially since I despise change solely for its own sake. Influences, inspiration and contribution aside, LTN is entirely recognisable as yours and yours alone.

I hope I'll be excused for drawing parallels with U2 in Pop.

The stage was set for great expectations from the first line. You really jumped in the deep end with the swift, powerful 'Anakin Skywalker’s lightsaber cuts through his hands'. I think it's you, you have this writing and the whole poetic-langauge thing down pat in LTN. The prose is pared down to the barest, grittiest essentials with characteristic skill and even a little whimsy that makes for bladelike writing full of captivating grace without comprominsing its strength. Which is a good thing, because your writing here carries a lot.

Despite the dazzling purity of the Dooku introspective and the almost Dylanesque stream-of-conscious writing, LTN possesses a fine pace and a tinge of the desperation of a dying man who thinks he has fallen beyond redemption. Dooku stands alone in here, and yet there is also a sense of structural opposition and duality in the inherent ironies of the man. He was so powerful, and yet he had been no less a slave to love, jealousy, anger, passion, destiny, fate and betrayal than any of us. You portrayed this impotence of his at the end of his life superbly as he awaits the death sentenced by Sidious and meted out by Anakin. Sympathetic portayal of him as a man torn in all directions by his love for Qui-Gon, bitterness toward the Order, betrayal, resignment toward Dooku and dimnishing hope. There is a deep, finely detailed sense of isolation, and that he was at the same time both more and less than Dooku, former Jedi Master and current Sith apprentice as he waited quietly for death. The poetic language is intense in its beauty, and I even detect a subtly thread of his black dry humour as he quietly wonders about seeing 'the dead boy' on the 'other side'.

As I read this, you gave me the feeling that the sole reason he kept going, the reason he was Sith, the reaon why he'd raised his lightsaber against Obi-Wan and Anakin in the first place, was because all that time he'd been carrying around this 'hope'. Like grasping at slim straws of salvation, or desperately wishing he could, at the last, put things right, and gain absolution before the Force claimed him. And then Anakin comes along, and he's no longer hoping, he's just 'trying so hard not to cry'.

You wrote the exchange between Anakin and Sidious chillingly – Dooku, 'in the land of pre-death', adopts an almost prophetic role, as Qui-Gon did before him, foreseeing Anakin's fall into darkness instead of his ascent, which Qui-Gon had predicted to Obi-Wan. I always did think of him as Qui-Gon's shadow self – his darker, brooding animus. Your writing highlights the quiet obscenity of that scene – Sith master and doomed Jedi haggling over his death as he watches helplessly.

There is yearning in there, as he dies, a hungry longing in the sparseness of the prose, a sense of there having to be something more as so little is said or even remembered. One feels, as we read it, that there is something other, richer, beyond, in just the next moment, even though 'his moments are gone'.

It's beautiful, then. Breathtaking and blood-pounding. I remember my pulse skittering like I'd run a mile when I first read this. As you said - ' all the time in the galaxy, and at the same, only an instant' – there is a heady pace in your writing that is complemented by an awareness that the poignant litany of senses, memories, passions, affections, relationships, epiphanies he had chosen 'to forget' could stretch beyond eternity.

This should be such a sad piece. And it is – I teared a little when I was done. But it's also joyful, hopeful, faithful. For me, it's an account of homecoming, of finding peace and rest, and your parting image of the child falling down and being helped up reinforced that.

BTW, sorry for taking so long to review. I wanted to wait til after exams so I could luxuriate in reading it over and over again.
Fialleril chapter 1 . 3/30/2006
What an absolutely beautiful story! It's a perfect mix of memory, forgetfulness, and the jumbled confusion of mind that surrounds death. And that last line...perfect. Just the right amount of understatement, with a double meaning that's profound in it's simplicity.

Thanks for sharing this.

Fialleril
azizah chapter 1 . 3/21/2006
I like it! Great idea and nicely written.
Writer117 chapter 1 . 3/18/2006
I like it. Very moody and angsty.
Jinn Twins chapter 1 . 3/17/2006
Stunning, beautiful... In my opinion, there aren't enough Dooku fics out there. At all. You did a great job with this scene, I've thought a lot about what Dooku might have been thinking in the moments before he was beheaded.

MtFbwy~

.::(Yavie)::.
Taraum chapter 1 . 3/17/2006
Very good. Really enjoyed it.