Reviews for Aftermath
Lee chapter 1 . 9/11/2008
I completely agree. i luv ur views on characters!
RakeeshJ4 chapter 1 . 6/23/2007
Hm, interesting story! On the one hand, it's certainly one direction Gaara's life might take after being relieved (or deprived, depending on PoV) of Shukaku.

However, there are some inconsistences between this story and canon (prior to the story, I mean). For one thing, we see in Kankuro's and Gaara's interactions (although they've only briefly shown) that the two siblings genuinely do appear to have a functional and loving relationship. Gaara confides his deepest desires and dreams to Kankuro, and Kankuro listens and tries to advise him away from suffering.

Also, it's by no means clear that the majority of Gaara's power (minus his Shukako transformations, partial or otherwise) comes from his demon or not. It's only supposition, but you can look to Naruto for example. Many aspects of his abilities certainly stem from Kyuubi, it would seem. However, it's not clear whether or not they ALL do. There are only hints of it, but you can see it for example when he summons literally hundreds of shadow clones in his battle against Gaara, he does this (apparently) with his OWN (blue) chakra. It's an indicator of kage-level chakra reserves and stamina.

Furthermore, he masters rasengan partially on his own. Granted, it's Kyuubi which heals his tortured chakra pathways and scorched palms sufficiently fast to let Naruto maintain his draconian training regime, but there are no hints of Kyuubi lending Naruto greater control over and understanding of chakra.

Anyway, I'm just pointin' that out. Despite those minor (in spite of the length of this review! Heh) criticisms of mine, it's still a very nice one shot. Gaara's future story after his encounter with Akatsuki is by no means sure to be a rosy one, and I think you did a good job of charactizing how he might react to such a thing.
The Great Bippety-Bop chapter 1 . 8/31/2006
Hm...well-written. Though, a slight misconception is that Gaara can't control his sand. As he said goodbye to Naruto, when he turned away, Gaara used it to nudge Naruto's hand (since he'd extended it for a handshake, but Gaara hadn't moved). Other than that, yeah, I think Gaara might be a bit unhappy now.
Arkana chapter 1 . 8/31/2006
Hm, I don't think you should be throwing around the words, "realistic" when we're dealing with an anime/manga here. Gaara is still able to have a degree of control with sand. The demon inside him is gone, but it doesn't mean he's completely weak now- Gaara is still a strong ninja in his own right. If he had died back there, it would've cut off his growth as a character. Remember when he woke up to see everyone from his village worried about him? How could the road be more difficult for him because he survived? He finds respect from his fellow villagers and realizes there are people who genuinly care about him.

Neji and Chouji survived the Sasuke retrieval mission, and it doesn't make it any less "realistic". I think the way Gaara was brought back to life made sense and it didn't end completely with a happy ending since Chiyo died as a result.

Anyways, your fic was well-written. I just didn't agree with your opinions.
Drake-Azathoth chapter 1 . 6/22/2006
Heh. Very nice.

I'm not so fond of Gaara as to think he should have gotten off as easily as that, though.
crazytreeotaku chapter 1 . 3/18/2006
Sorry, but I have to dissagree. Your summary says "spoilers through chapter 280" but did you read chapter 281? Gaara uses sand in that chapter, which means he still has presice contol over the sand even if the Shukaku is gone. I just dont think Gaara's power is that dependant on the demon that his control over Suna will disapear so easily.

Oh well. I guess you're entitled to your opinion. This oneshot was at least well written even if it was depressing.
dreamboatdarryl chapter 1 . 3/18/2006
Are you saying...Gaara loses his sandy-ness? NO! (Falls into dead faint) MY LIFE! OVER! NO! NOT POSSIBLE! EVER! NO! Is there an anime episode? Maybe Gaara can do ther stuff. Like...Nevermind. Cool story though. You're an AWESOME writer!
Shelby chapter 1 . 3/17/2006
Great story. As sad as it would have been I agree that Gaara should have died. It would have suited him better than to live a life without the demon that he has alawys had because without Shukaku he has lost the power he once had. Again awesome story.
Outsane chapter 1 . 3/17/2006
Wel. I adore Gaara so I don't want him to die, but I agree that it was unrealistic and Suna will just crumble. This was a good drabble-thing, I think. Nice job!