Reviews for Spinning on the Edge
sinemoras09 chapter 5 . 4/19/2009
Wow, this is incredible. I don't normally read stuff from FFN-I'm an LJ fan normally-and I almost didn't click on the link when I saw it was linking to an outside site. Dude I'm glad I was wrong. I love these little vignettes and how you slipped them into canon without a hitch. The vignette with Katsushiro and the book is especially poignant ("it is not our story." SIGH. omg I wish it were! Well sorta :)

Loved it, every one of them. I'm adding them to my memories, both on LJ and here on FFN. Bravo!
akari chapter 7 . 3/4/2009
wah!

bitin
akari chapter 1 . 3/4/2009
its a wee bit too complicated for my poor brain but i like it.
meganinhiding chapter 7 . 8/24/2008
This was a strong batch to end with. Liked Katsushiro's frustrationa in Cold and loved Gorobei and Kyuzo's POVs. I noticed one thing "secret passage" has with with "To Be A Samurai" by twilit rose and "forgive us our sins" by another author whose I can't think of is that Katsushiro has a dysfunctional relatioship with his actual father though each story has its own unique slant on it. Certainly the way Katsu looked up to Kambei and then rebelled against him like a surrogate would indicate that all was not right among the Okamotos. Thank you so much for sticking with this.
meganinhiding chapter 6 . 8/24/2008
All of these were great; I'm having a hard time coming up with anyone else. I like how each of these stories shows how much they've changed. I loved the description of Katsushiro's feelings in number 27 and of Kirara's feelings in 30. I can imagine a time in the future where they might be able to have a relationship but for now her longing is for Kambei.
meganinhiding chapter 5 . 8/24/2008
Hmm number 21 seems to take place at least a decade after the anime; the phrase "aging memories" conveys to me that a great deal of time has passed yet Katsushiro still seems pretty hurt and haunted by what their relationship wasn't which I have bit of a hard time believing. Still, its a beautifully worded story.

I pretty much liked all the stories in this batch. I loved Kirara's guilt and angst in "dying from blis"; she's in the thankless position of loving someone who doesn't return her feelings and of being loved by someone whose feelings she can't return. I also liked Shichiroji's small chat with Kambei in "no future".
meganinhiding chapter 4 . 8/24/2008
With this batch the one with Yukino is definitely my favorite; I really liked her interaction with Kirara in the anime which was partly like an aunt or older sister and partly like a therapist. Also liked number 20 where they said goodbye.
meganinhiding chapter 3 . 8/24/2008
Wow, all of these were excellent and its impossible to pick a favorite. With practically all of the stories in all 7 chapters I can imagine these events happening in canon. I like how 11 brings up Kirara's collection of books; a nice bit of character continuity.

Loved the way you put your chemistry classes to work in describing the relationships between the samurai, between Kanbei and Katsushiro and finally between Katsushiro and Kirara. Also liked how Kirara observed how the laws of physics didn't seem to apply to the samurai and than worrying over Katsushiro like a mom.

I think 14 might be my favorite; every line was perfect.

"The kiss was everything it was supposed to be. Except for the part where her eyes were wide and shaking and he realized it was all wrong..." This part really described the scene perfectly from Katsushiro's scene and I love how tried to deny at the end that it really would have led to anything. It fits well with 15 which goes over the same scene also through Katsushiro's POV but from a more distant perspective. I would place it as taking place a few years after leaving Kanna village.
meganinhiding chapter 2 . 8/24/2008
I'll think I'll post a little review for each batch. With this group I think I liked best the contrast between 6 and 7. With the former Katsushiro has this slight optimism that is woefully mistaken and in the next he is painfully correct about Kirara's true feelings. I notice that Komach gives Kirara better romantic advice in part 6 than Kirara does in part 5.
meganinhiding chapter 1 . 8/24/2008
I've just recently come across your Kirara/Katsushiro fic and had to respond. I've noticed that often with this pairing the author has Kirara decide were really for Katsushiro instead of Kambei despite what the magic crystal said. I applaud you keeping this close to canon and for the respect you show for Kirara's feelings. I think had more sympathy for Katsushiro than for any other character in the anime but I also felt for Kirara who couldn't help the fact that although she felt compassion and reponsibility to Katsushiro she simply didn't return his love. Samurai 7 was a coming of age story for both of them.

My favorite line from this batch was "why won't you believe in me? Did you ever believe in me" which hooked me in along with the way you gave equal time for Kirara's feelings. I also like the one where he describes himself as changing and aquiring a mask. Also liked the one where Kirara tries to explain to Komachi how she'll know she's in love and ends up sadly reassuring her that the person she loves will return her feelings.
SSJBardock chapter 7 . 12/9/2007
Simply wonderful.
Izzu chapter 7 . 2/19/2007
What a wonderful take on Kanbei/KiraraXKatsu pairing. I loved it so much. You portrayed them so beautifully. And this entering my favs.
Alory Shannon chapter 7 . 1/2/2007
...Wow. These are absolutely gorgeous. I just watched the whole series for the first time, and I went looking for some good KatsuXKirara fic, and boy, did I find it in this. _

They are inspiring and beautiful! *faves* -_-
ia3 chapter 7 . 10/27/2006
I liked it! A lot! Though, less of some of the AUs, but the perceptions of what was shown in the anime is great. I get that kinda empty and a lil painful feeling when i read some of them, most notably the one about the kiss being rejection, which means that the angstiness really did come off. Looking forward to reading more of ur fics!
Scyen chapter 6 . 7/14/2006
Well, that's what she gets for being a whore and a tease: utter lonliness. Whore.