Reviews for Browncoat, Green Eyes
pikupstix chapter 25 . 8/15
First of all, Harry is a massive Gary Stu. He's charismatic, connected, capable, clever, and unshakably cool. He has no real weaknesses, and is better then everyone at pretty much everything. Simon was right to fear the guy, because Harry could have replaced any person on that ship at any point he chose to. That kind of relationship imbalance isn't healthy. Imagine a venomous snake living among a pack of rodents. Sure, the snake might choose not to bite, but the mouse will forever be aware that it's life hangs in the balance.

Harry's character could have been salvaged, even with him being effectively superhuman. He just needed to be vulnerable in some way, so that he wasn't constantly looming over everyone else. From what I can tell, your attempt at doing this was having Harry be the only wizard left alive—loneliness, in other words. But we're back at the snake-rodent thing again. It's not true friendship, even if you tell me it is. I don't buy that Mal trusts Harry, for the same reason I don't buy that River wants to get boned by centurion-Harry. He's larger than life; he's not really there. How are other characters supposed to connect to him?

Off the top of my head, a few flaws that might have spiced Harry up as a character: if he had amnesia; if he hated something about himself; if there was something or someone specific he was searching for; if there was a meaningful adversary chasing him and he was actually in trouble because of it; or if, god-forbid, there was something he couldn't accomplish with magic alone and that he actually needed those pesky muggles' assistance with.

Protagonist aside, your early chapters were great. It was fun to see the Serenity crew being shaken up, and to accompany them on their harebrained adventures. Because this is what your story is about: the Serenity and her crew. It's their reactions that mold how we view Harry and the oddities of his world. The fact that they are weirded out by magic is what makes it exciting to see these two worlds interact.

Everything after chapter 20 or so flies in the face of these things. Mal and co. are accepting of Harry's weirdness. The desperate, reluctant adventures are at an end, thanks to our heroes getting the biggest payload of their lives. River isn't bothering to hide her boner for Harry; it's silly rather than honest, and thus a boring dynamic. Simon isn't angry at Harry anymore, and has come to terms with his years of training and everything he sacrificed being in vain thanks to the less expensive and much more practical solution of magical healing. The other characters are hardly worth mentioning, since they've been reduced to flat comic relief roles, recounting the same tired jokes. The drama has fallen out completely, and what we're left with is humour and Harry's mysterious past. These things can carry a story for a chapter or two, but we're only two-thirds done. There's 15 chapters to go, but the conflict tank has been drained down to it's filthiest dregs.

Maybe it would have been better to end the story sooner. The moment Harry gets his hands on the pensieve, for instance. If it were my story, I'd be thinking about having him part ways with the crew at that point, after they (sadly, if you must) reject his mission, or maybe come up with some obstacle to prevent the hyperdrive-jacking from going ahead in the first place. Because frankly, having the Serenity crew all abandon their lives to go exploring a dead planet with Harry just seems absurd, even for a quasi-humour story like this.

TLDR: I've been losing interest since around chapter 20. The drama isn't there anymore. This whole 'visit Earth again' thing just feels like a happy-go-lucky omake. Everything that came before is suddenly derailed, and we're left wandering in a dilapidated showground where the only ride that still works is fronted by glowing red letters that read: 'hey, look how cool Harry is,' and in subtext below, 'oh, and here are a bunch of random HP-elements to help enrich the crossover, all of which Harry can conveniently relate to.'
SpockST chapter 39 . 8/5
Years ago I discovered Captain Malcolm Reynolds, his crew, and his ship, sadly, after it had gone off the air. I have a DVD copy of the TV series and at least 2 copies of the movie, DVD and Blu-ray. I also have a complete set of the Harry Potter books and movies.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story and will happily encourage others to read it as well. I'm just happy I also discovered this story after it was finished. I don't think I would have had the patience to wait for chapters to appear if I had found it earlier.

Great story, highly recommended.
Elora Donovan chapter 39 . 8/4
What an incredibly well woven story. It's not very often you find a crossover fix that fits perfectly into the cannon universes. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go dig through your stories for more gems like this one.
Revliledpembroke chapter 22 . 7/25
You know that Harry's trial seems...

well...

really fucking stupid, right?

The British Ministry gave a man an Order of Merlin for driving a dragon away from a beach of crowded Muggles.

Harry saving as many children as he could in a Children's Ward at a Magical Hospital would get him one as well.

And, honestly, what was stopping them from evacuating the magical children first and leaving the couple of Muggle children behind? And what would stop a bunch of nurses at a hospital from not saving the children first? You know, those nurses who are often young females with mothering instincts? And why wouldn't the standard evacuation pattern of most grievously wounded patients, woman and children, lightly injured hold? Especially if there were Pureblood children of the aristocrats in the Children's Ward? And even more especially since they were long term patients of that ward!
Epicweaver chapter 39 . 7/24
Great fic. Thank you for sharing.
fic fan chapter 39 . 7/21
this was wonderful; thank you for writing.
Thanks for a wonderful story. I have not visited their universe for years and it was a lot of fun to go there again. You did a wonderful job with the characters and their reactions.
Thanks again.
Josh
KalElAshkevron chapter 39 . 7/11
Absolutely loved everything about this fic! The way you had each character nailed, loved some Jayne in this. Have to say he had me suffering giggle fits several times. Just one word to describe it...SHINY!
Halatia Artemis Louise Potter chapter 39 . 7/6
Great story! I loved how you combined the 2 genres. Would love to see more of this crossover genre from You! Have fun writing!
Ooh, this is interesting. Is Harry the Master of Death here?
C.Menard chapter 39 . 7/1
I loved it, I absolutely loved it. Seeing Harry Potter and Firefly mixed together so perfectly with such great writing was a pleasure to behold. I do wish to see a little bit extra from this universe but I understand this is truly fitting with the spirit of Firefly. Thanks for the laughs and another go with this amazing crew!
pinks99 chapter 39 . 6/26
Thanks for the great fic!
pinks99 chapter 37 . 6/26
Great chapter, thanks!
pinks99 chapter 36 . 6/26
Great chapter! I like the rehab descriptions.
pinks99 chapter 32 . 6/25
Ooo, I was wondering if Miranda would come into play!
4,401 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »