Reviews for Endurance
SweeterThanHeaven chapter 1 . 9/26/2010
that was sooooooooo perfect, I luv the couple!
Barsines chapter 1 . 2/21/2007
Sweet! Your young Alexander, so naive and stubborn in his convictions, is so tender...
RWFDHF chapter 1 . 2/13/2007
that was so good

i have only ben reading this fandom tongith but im getting very interested in it ..great writing i loved it

thanks
Joyeee chapter 1 . 7/21/2006
I love this recurring theme in your work - how Alexander's pride holds him back from accepting love and acknowledging his own need for someone understanding, his own so-called "weaknesses" that could do with a little advice or an outsider's perspective. And how that pride ends up pushing away others who try to help him, specifically Hephaestion.

Alexander says he "doesn't need anything." Well, maybe not, but certainly he needs some_one_. He's already driving himself crazy at this young age! "It's not that cold" indeed!

Hephaestion's mindset here is, I think, really what someone might feel who's in love with a perfectionist like Alexander - that sometimes Alexander makes him feel like one of his weaknesses. And I really like his outburst finally - that whole paragraph (including the non-dialogue). About time!

But even more I love Hephaestion's declaration that follows after Alexander reveals what's bothering him (not that he needed to, Hephaestion already knew, of course). "as though you think I'm too dull to appreciate what you feel, or too weak to cope with it!" This aspect of love and friendship feels very important to me, that it isn't just shielding one's beloved from all the bad things, but sharing, facing things together, trusting and respecting the other person enough to believe hat he can handle problems. (And Alexander must come to that viewpoint, if Hephaestion is to gain any sort of respect in the future as one of his officers...)

Though neither of them laughed at it, I couldn't help a (very fond) giggle when Alexander said "I'm afraid I love you too much!" As Hephaestion says, is that really such a bad thing? Wonderful ending with the Prince Perfect name!

A last, random note: that image of Hephaestion singing to himself while he prepares a meal out in the wilds was very, very nice.
the surly mermaid chapter 1 . 6/10/2006
It was nice seeing Hephaestion telling Alexander to shut the hell up and let himself be held for a while. Your Alexander and Hephaestion are sweet and idealistic without being cloying or irritating. I'm impressed at the overall quality of your stories, especially considering you've written a lot of them.

(I never know what to stay in reviews but now that I've written a few fics myself I realize how annoying it is not to get any!)
parisad chapter 1 . 4/11/2006
Finally my review! So late I know *guilty eyes*

My dear, you are so great when you write about Alexander and Hephaestion in their boyhood! They are so real! And "Alexander Prince Perfect" is a great idea! Great story as always!
Fredericka chapter 1 . 4/3/2006
As Northern Light's comments suggest, I believe the underlying message of this story is a relationship reaching a crisis point. What starts out as an innocuous camping trip becomes a critical juncture.

Hephaestion’s tired of blaming himself for not being “good enough”. He begins to see that he’s really in a battle against Olympias’ suffocating hold on her son, combined with the harsh discipline imposed by Leonidas.

Having had a normal childhood with two wise and loving parents: the beautiful Lady Helena and the strong, manly Amyntor, he finds it difficult to understand why Alexander is so desperately afraid to drop his guard. For his part, Alexander fears that if he doesn’t maintain rigid control of himself, he’ll lose the individuality he’s had to fight for all his life. Love, for him, means being trapped.

When finally Hephaestion issues his command to “get over here – NOW!” (doubtless echoing Amyntor’s powerful voice to a youthful Hephaestion) he’s really challenging Alexander to choose between remaining a captive to his devouring mother’s influence or accepting Hephaestion’s unconditional love. Startled into acting instinctively, Alexander makes the right choice. He confesses his fears, finally realizing he’s found a refuge that strengthens, not weakens him. For the first time in his life, he drops his defenses and finds peace in Hephaestion’s embrace - the only place in his turbulent world where he need not be “Prince Perfect”

The bond forged by these two young men on that cold, Macedonian night was absolute – and indeed, would change the course of history.

Thank you for another of your insightful narratives,

Fredericka
Norrsken chapter 1 . 3/31/2006
Many thanks for sharing this multi faceted tale. It tells so much of a complicated relationship, beginning in a cold and unpromising mood as Alexander's spartan upbringing and Queen Olympias accusing letter is about to destroy a wonderful excursion. Then *my* Hephaestion acts and tells the Beautiful Golden One to behave himself and be thankful for the simpel pleasures of life - and all turns out well. I like to see Hephaestion acting in a strong and decisive manner!

It is rather ominous, though, Alexander realizing he might love his Hephaestion too much, almost as an obsession. *Real* history tells us the truth about this. I just love the line: "Then combine my strength with yours". It gives us a wonderful lesson about one of the meanings of True Love and Frienship.

All the best wishes,

/NorthernLight
Tionsbabe chapter 1 . 3/31/2006
I'm still chuckling over the last line. This fic took me on a rollercoaster ride. I started off wanting to violently shake Alexander until his teeth rattled in his head. How dare he make my Hephaestion cry? That feeling was then eclipsed by my immense pride at Hephaestion's assertiveness, "I said get over there...NOW!" Heh heh! And finally, I felt empathy towards Alexander for feeling that loving someone as strongly as he does Hephaestion is utterly debilitating. Luckily, Hephaestion had a common sense solution as always. "Combine my strength with yours." I loved that line.

Another well written story! As if I expected anything less. And I agree fully about Qadaffi!

Best,

Tionsbabe.
Qaddafi the Ripper chapter 1 . 3/29/2006
Yo. I'm telling you, don't worry. This is nothing like my story (not that I remember what mine was about, having written it, like, a year ago). I still like this. Romantic, without being gag-worthy angst and turning manly men into wimpy women.
Lysis chapter 1 . 3/29/2006
I just finished this story. I was a bit nervous about commenting on your stories because I think they are incredible! I've read most of them, even before I joined fanfic. I love your Alexander and Hephaistion, and enjoy the psychological traps you have Alexander get himself into with this story; poor boy, he is so much harder on himself than anyone else would ever be. I can't help but think Leonidas did him little good with his harsh tutoring; and as for his parents, well... Hephaistion is adorable, and anyone could wish for him as a friend and lover. Alexander was so lucky he had him in his life.
Trust No One chapter 1 . 3/28/2006
Alexander needed that - truly! Startled cat indeed! And good for Hephaistion not to take crap anymore and do something about it early in their relationship. Sometimes Alexander is so blinded and he can't see the forest because of the trees. He just needs a gentle guiding hand. Well done (I do sound like a broken record, don't I :P)
MLygia chapter 1 . 3/28/2006
Your story is so lovely. I liked it very much, mainly when Hephaestion suggests to combine his force with that one of Alexander. I think that was that exactly that they did, along their lives.
CoralDawn chapter 1 . 3/28/2006
Very sweet and funny. Alexander's moodiness woke up the tiger in Hephaistion in a wonderful way! I loved the screaming order:

"I said get over here!”

and the alacrity with which Alexander obeyed! He learns who's boss, and also, most importantly, that he cannot take love for granted and has to give it its due no matter what he thinks it costs himself.
Queendel chapter 1 . 3/28/2006
Nice story. True love can withstand anything and is quite amazing. As much as it must have been wonderful to be loved and love as Alexander and Heph did, it must also have been quite a burden.

I love to read a fierce,determined and demanding Heph, and I don't mind seeing a vulnerable Alexander, however petulant, who loves Heph beyond reason. And I was amused by the title "Prince Perfect".

Looking forward to more fics from you soon.