Reviews for The Undiscovered Country
RainAwhile chapter 32 . 2/22
Hey Syd, it's been a long time since we last spoke on TLG!

I recently got back onto the Matrix fic train, although it's barely moving these days, and have reread many of my favourites. I saved this one for last because I've always loved it so much.

The fic has really stood the test of time and is just as enrapturing as it had been years ago. Much to my surprise, I swear that the last couple of chapters are brand new to me as the last thing I remembered from my previous reading was the scene in which Knight saves Rorie - and what a great surprise this had been.

That's the thing with this story, Syd. Even after having read the story before and being familiar with the universe you've created, everything still seems so new and fresh. I adore all the intricacies you've created around each character. You've given a deep, creative past to our favourite couple while maintaining the original reasons why we fell in love with them in the films.

I don't feel as though you will continue this, as it's been years since the last update. I don't even know if you frequent the site, or if you'll even get a notification regarding this post, but just know that your writing and style is admirable and your creativity is something to be envious of.

All the best,
RA
CassieJ2014 chapter 33 . 12/4/2014
I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed this highly original story. I love your vision of Neo and Trinity as a mature couple, as you wrote them both here, and in The Last Exile. And while the idea of a sacrificed child is heartbreaking (and Neo and Trinity's reunion in Montreal almost too tragic to bear!), it's a fantastic plot device.

Everything around Synergy and the transformed Smith is just so original and interesting. While I delved into this as a Neo-Trinity fic, I'm very impressed with these original characters, not to mention the concept of an Eden created by Synergy.

Also, while I love a good, straight up piece of Neo-Trinity fluff, you do such a great job of creating angst and drama between them - which, in turn, makes your bits of fluff even sweeter:). It's heart-wrenchingly beautiful to see them, in this story, wanting desperately to fully re-establish their connection to each other, but unable to because they're both harbouring secrets about Synergy and deep convictions about Rorie.

I can't imagine that you intend to finish this fic, at this point, 8 years on (although I would certainly love to read it if you did!). However I'm glad that you took it as far as the revelation and the brink of a mission to rescue Synergy.

(I also wonder if, when you crafted the early conflict where Neo abandons Trinity because he promised to visit Rorie, if you planned to echo it in Neo choosing to spend time with Synergy, to the point of close-calls for the Neb's crew (ie his daughters are the only people whose needs he would put ahead of Trinity's..."the only explanation I can possibly believe.") Ah, so brilliant!)

I hope you are being paid to write, somewhere! (And if you have fanfic on another forum, I'd love to know:).
aagrimes chapter 33 . 1/29/2012
Thank you for bringing the story back!
Chaotic chapter 33 . 9/14/2010
I'm really sad I didn't read this when you were writing it, because I know the review would have meant so much more then. It's a really wonderful piece. One of the great things about reading through your work on is how much you've improved over time, and how parts of your writing really do just sparkle. It's impressive that you can be so moving one minute and just laugh out loud funny another, and how relaxed and natural your dialogue is, too. So much ff is clunky and jars when people stray into dialogue, and there's a hell of a lot more telling than showing when it comes to character development, too. You sidestep those traps almost all the time, over hundreds of thousands of words. Consistently fabulous output. It's also so impressive to see such thought-through, decent plotting going on, and I also admired the fact that you moved the characters on over decades. I was a bit sceptical at first about whether they were IC, and then I thought about it and realised how much life alters us all. Experiences change people. So really, they're perfectly plausible as people in their 40s and 50s, living very differently. (There's also the issue that OOC is only an issue in ff anyway, and that a fantastic piece of writing in ff form is a fantastic piece of writing, as long as the characterisation within that story itself remains consistent.

I had no issue with the angsty bits either. People in a war, and in the first year of a blissed out relationship, are not going to fight much. Grief and stress and just day to day life post-war alters that. And while the OTP love of the trilogy is lovely, it's a ff writer's prerogative to mix it up.

Okay this is becoming a ramble: suffice it to say that I understand that you've lost interest and moved on, but I'm sad, nonetheless, because I would so have loved to see where it went. And if they got that poor girl out. As I don't want to be an annoying, entitled reader, I'll just thank you for posting this in the first place, and say I very much hope you're writing original stuff now. Be a real shame if you stopped writing at all, because I think you have genuine talent. I only ever knew of one better ff writer (I'd rec her work, but sadly none remains online), and I've known a lot, in several fandoms. Please keep writing, in whatever genre.
LittleLurker chapter 33 . 3/31/2008
First I've got to apologise for my English. I know, it's not good, but unfortunately I'm not a native speaker... :-(

Hi Sydney, I know you probably are not going to update this incredible story anymore... but I have to say, that this is more than just a pity! Your fanfiction, well - I'd rather call it THE Continuation of the Matrix Trilogy - must be the best Matrix, or rather Neo/Trinity fiction (including Knight/Rorie extension) out there.

I'm pretty new to the world of fanfiction; only started reading any such stuff about half a year, maybe 3/4 of a year ago. But I devoured nearly all (serious) Matrix and almost all Constantine (and other KR) fanfics, (well Keanu-junkie it figures), but anyhow, even five years after the last Matrix movie Neo/Trinity still is my absolute favourite couple and I guess, will always be...

To my own shame, I have to admit that, until now, I never wrote a single review... I know, I'm bad, but well, most fanfics were published a long time ago, so I thought it wouldn't matter anyway. However, this story of yours is so intriguing and you sure left a worse cliffhanger than the Wachowskis at the end of each installment that I just had to say something here. I liked the character development and the angsty pieces in between, but also your kind of humour is really great and your writing is near flawless (as much as I don't even have the right to judge this never having written anything in this area and probably never will). I love the methaphors you're using all of the time, the plots twists and turns and generally almost everything in this story. I've also read all your other pieces (exceot the SAHS) and have become a big fan of your style!

The only sad thing is, that you will probably not even read this comment anymore, being almost two years after you last updated this story - well, more than half a year after you left any sign of life at your homepage. It's just so sad that you're not updating this huge story anymore, you had so many ideas... what happend? I hope you are okay and will read this sometime... and then start writing again. ...or maybe, you became a professional writer and have a book, a novel or whatever else to recommend?

Best wishes & take care! D.
ShakiraShakira chapter 1 . 11/21/2007
I'm really confused...

Wheres Sailor Moon?

Isn't she the main character in this series?

Sincerely Yours,

Confused in Memphis
Plagues chapter 33 . 9/20/2007
Please plese hurry up and update this. PLEASE
RainAwhile chapter 33 . 8/4/2007
*RA does what ZA does exactly.

Then bugs her friend on msn about it.*

Update it please! You left such a cliffhanger.

(I havn't even reviewed yet. I feel bad. This has to be my favourite fic. Its amazing.)
Verita chapter 33 . 7/8/2007
Definitely one of my favorite Matrix fanfics. Not too fluffy, not too OOC, a good mix. Unfortunately, you've left at quite a cliffhanger, and it's been about a year since you've updated...
ZionAngel chapter 33 . 7/2/2007
**ZA stares at date of last update**

**ZA stares at current date**

...

...

**ZA cries**
Moiren chapter 1 . 11/28/2006
It's a pity that you apparently decided not to update this wonderful story. My english is not very good, but I much enjoyed reading it!
Inara Cabot chapter 19 . 11/6/2006
hey love i've just realised i dont have this story in my favourites so i'm just doing that now, i love this story you know that. your a very talented writer.
Miscelaineous chapter 33 . 9/27/2006
great work, sydney!

i read this after i read the last exile, and both stories are wonderful.

i remain an eternal neo/trinity fan, but rorie/knight is slowly becoming a favorite of mine...

smith seems so different, so ooc. but i guess that's how he is now.

carry on! looking forward to more chapters! :D
Zion Angel chapter 33 . 8/16/2006
SO. I've been reading this slowly for a couple of weeks now, after reading The Last Exile. I definitely like it, but I honestly have to say that I almost stopped reading it several times, for two reasons. First, Neo and Trin's fighting and tension in the first few chapters, along with stuff about how they were so distant after the end of the war was really depressing me. As in, more depressing than Revolutions. Second (and I'm not sure if this was intentional, but if it was you did a good job) Smith scared the shit outta me. With the whole human emotions, siding with a human, SLEEPING with a human, it was Really creepy. But it became slightly less creepy after finding out he was originally a halfway decent machine with a machine wife, it makes a lot of sense and I have to admit I like it. I also REALLY love Knight and Rorie. Really sweet and mushy. Warm and fluffy.

But DUDE! You've gotta update! PLEASE! We want MORE!

-ZionAngel
Arelys chapter 1 . 7/25/2006
I really love this story so far especially Rorie and Knight. I hope you write more soon. Keep up the good work!