Reviews for Thank you for reminding me
tlr chapter 1 . 12/17/2008
There's one more reaon why Hiko wouldn't teach Kenji Hiten Mitsurugi; since Kenji's physique is as scrawny as his father's he isn't suited to learn that style. If he did he'd end up just like Kenshin; body deteriorated and unable to wield a sword by the time he was in his 30s.
tlr chapter 1 . 12/10/2008
In the manga Yahiko calls Kenji 'the heir of Kamiya-Kasshin Ryu'. That's a good indicator of his swordsmanship in the manga, I think.
gg chapter 1 . 12/10/2008
I have to clarify one thing. Whatever Hiko taught Kenji, it wasn't the Hiten Mitsurugi style. In the Reflections OVA he told Yahiko that he wasn't going to pass down the style as it was no longer relevant to the times. Even in the manga, it was unlikely he'd bother taking another pupil after Kenshin.
openwindow3 chapter 1 . 12/16/2006
w00t kenji!

XD
Feafea chapter 1 . 12/16/2006
o.. this is good! why issit that i havent seen this earlier? darn! always holds so many fics which are yet to be discovered!
sueb262 chapter 1 . 9/14/2006
wow i LOVE this! it bowled me over with the intensity of its characters, and of their interactions!

the way you had Kenji open the conversation with Sou was just perfect: adolescent hubris, foolish impatience, immature defensiveness-just the right mix for your version of Kenji.

i also really liked that their conversation was NOT some watershed of understanding for Kenji-that would have been unbelievably facile, and would have weakened Kenji's character as well as the real weight "behind" their encounter-it's far to early for Kenji to be able to hear anything other than his own perceptions, but that doesn't stop Seta from saying it all right out loud, simply and clearly, and then he just leaves-no ego at stake (perfect for Sou), no pushing to "correct" Kenji or change him. we see a Sou too wise to engage in such foolishness, but also too wise to be perturbed by it.

Kenji's "take" on Misao and Aoshi is a delightful little warped vignette of these two warriors, now paired and retired. naturally, Kenji is too immature to "see" them clearly, either.

in this piece, we see Kenshin dimly, as though reflected in a mirror darkened with age, but oh my!... WHAT we see is all the more poignant and tender: Kenshin's seeming omniscience about his son (and what child doesn't feel that god-like presence from their parents, especially at the ages mentioned here); Kenshin's never having really made it clear to Kenji the significance of his "rurouni-ness"; Kenshin's quiet and far-seeing wisdom in asking Hiko to train his young son when the time came-surely Kenshin had worked out, very early on, what Hiko realizes in this story: that Kenji was a force that REQUIRED training-it was not merely a luxury or a choice, but would be a mistake to overlook.

how subtly you worked this in, how easily and simply this revealed itself to the reader.

and your Hiko is marvelous: gruff, unilateral, suitably aged in body but recalcitrantly unchanged in manner and character. it made my heart twinge just a bit (both from the passage of time as well as from the still sexiness of it) when you showed us "his hair showing a little gray"-that was the kind of masterful detail that tells us almost all we need to know about him.

Hiko, when he's being fully and stubbornly himself, is always hilarious to me: "I meant close it with you on the other side of it"-his now-instinctive craftiness in blocking Kenji's sword from the boy's grasp as he prepares to toss him out on his ear-"I intend to"-his smile in response to Kenji's demand that he open up-how he "casually" tosses Kenji's sword back to him. these are just a few of the marvelous touches you use to bring us right into their presence, breathtakingly scary though that is!

having Hiko be so clever as to "pretend mark" Kenji just floored me! how he takes control of the course of their interaction and steers it right away from anything Kenji could have imagined, much less have planned-so very Hiko and, may i presume to say it, so very Japanese (a high compliment, in my book, for fanfic!).

but the very last paragraph really tore me up. Hiko muses about Kenji's potential, and it is with regret: he's done this before, hasn't he? he KNOWS the path upon which he setting his foot, and he KNOWS the futility of it. what's that the Talmud says? "The work is great. The day is short. The laborers are sluggish. The Master is insistent. You are not obliged to complete the task. Neither are you free to desist from it."

it is Hiko's task, and he knows it, and he shoulders it, because it is his, and not for any other reason.

wow. what an insight.
lmr666 chapter 1 . 9/14/2006
These two one-shots work together very well. I liked the hints you gave about Seta Soumirou's journey since his dual with Kenshin during the Shishio arc. I particularly liked what you did with Kenji's potential and how that backs Hiko into a corner he definitely does not want to be in (I've never seen anyone back Hiko anywhere he doesn't want to be). These one-shots really have the potential to be developed into a fascinating story-line with Kenji (who is just aching to be developed) and Hiko (one of my all time favorite anime characters).

Question is, do you still have enough of an interest in RK to develop this into the story it could become?
2wingo chapter 1 . 8/6/2006
Well, at least if Kenji can't learn to control himself, Hiko-sama can just kill him.
Umeko chapter 1 . 7/10/2006
Wow! I have really missed this little gem. Nice portrayal of bratty Kenji. But Hiko will sort the attitude of his out, won't he? Kenji sounds like he has serious issues with his old man. Liked the nice little cameo by Seta Soujirou though.
anaemicfaeries chapter 1 . 6/5/2006
Good story! Kenji's 'conversation' with Soujiro was rude-but so funny! Kenji certainly is a little punk. Hiko sure put him in his place though! That part with the scar, that was poignant. Kenji needs some training alright...how will Hiko get through to him? Looking forward to finding out!
Warg chapter 1 . 6/4/2006
Hey..

Oh AWESOME work here!

After all the OOC kenji fics(not that thers anything truly wrong wid that.. hehe) here is one that captures both the drive and the uncontrolled power behind Kenji.. also the voice of the "brat" is perfect here..

I can't wait for this to be continued!
charmed-sword chapter 1 . 5/30/2006
This is awesome! I hope it'll be continued! You've captured Seisohen Kenji quite perfectly, I nearly choked on my tea reading his conversation with Seta. Lol! I like how Kenji is fed up with all this talk of his dad, and how he admires Hiko for keeping away...But I thought that was a remarkable moment, with Hiko scratching him, and saying, that's what he wanted...Kenji reckons he's won, because Hiko will train him, but Hiko knows him, and how to deal with him...I can't wait for the next chapter.
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 4/8/2006
I liked the meeting with Soujiro. I thinkit woudl be good to fast forward to a point in time where his words have some meaning to Kenji.

I love the inimitable Hiko. I would love to see a second chapter to the story of Hiko and Kenji's relationship.
Eson chapter 1 . 3/31/2006
You could combine these one-shots into a story if you wanted to... But these are unique that they can stand alone as well.

Very good.