Reviews for Xanadu
alicewiggles chapter 1 . 1/21
loved your FISHING and the ending was perrrfect
Zoser chapter 1 . 2/4/2013
I've read this before and cannot believe I never thanked you - I love this story!
magical-mystery-girl chapter 1 . 1/14/2013
Way awesome ending! Awesome story! This was a really nice story to read, I loved all the fluffiness! The ending bit did seem a little rushed, but it was still really great! Nice job!
DxV-deliciousness chapter 1 . 5/4/2012
This story was absolutely amazing! I loved the restraint that S/J displayed, and how you moved them through the terrible ordeal in stages. And your descriptions! *Hot under the collar* I felt like I was watching an actual episode; you wrote them so well!

Wonderful epilogue.

I loved this, wonderful job!

DxV!
nikkicarter chapter 1 . 3/8/2011
AWESOME! ...that's all I can say...sums it all up! Thank you! :D :D :D :D :D
Countess Ouroboros chapter 1 . 10/13/2010
Sweet :)
JitterSG chapter 1 . 10/27/2009
I loved every piece of it. The UST, the angst and oh my all the kissage 3 And the strawberries part, man what an image :)

And I loved how you made Daniel help them in the end, having him being the spoilsport all the time does get a bit tiring so it was good to see a change in that

Thanks for sharing
Majikthize chapter 1 . 8/29/2009
Wow what a great story. All that UST!

I love the way you took what is essentially a huge cliche (the old alien influence excuse) and made a good, strong and interesting story around it.

How many times did they kiss? I lost count? I particularly like the fact you avoided them crossing that last line throughout with the knoweldge that things had to go back to how they were before. Oh so very angsty!

I do wish, at the end, you'd shown us a little more of that line when they did cross it (i.e. something between leaving the SGC and waking up together at the cabin) Not that I wanted smut but I did feel slightly cheated not to get the payback for all that UST (and a little "here goes our first time" and a fade-to-the-fireplace moment would have been perfect for me. :-) )

I loved the angst of them knowing it was just temporary - did I say that? I adored that! And then Daniel coming up with the goods at the end so they could stay together. Ah bless Daniel! I would liked to have seen just a little more angst in the ending before the happy ending (again, that's just me and my pasison for angst!)

I also thought for a while that it needed more explanation of what the heck caused the whole problem in the first place and some "science" behind it - although you might cover that in the sequel that I have yet to read? Actually, on reflection I think it was just right; you did an excellent job of getting around having to go into complicated scientific explanations by the simple deviice of having Sam or Jack at POV and zoning out to concentrate on each other. I really liked that.

What else? Oh the original charcaters were all really nicely done. Just enough character development to make them real but not so much that they overpower the main event, so to speak.

You know I am not much for Daniel / Vala ship but this fic has got my interest in your world piqued enough to want to read it anyway.

Thank you for writing this; I have enjoyed reading it very much.
polrobin chapter 1 . 6/2/2009
Wow...you..wow.

Can you say usT? with lots of T?

Holy cow. I couldn't put this story down.

Great, great job.
fgbbdgdffb chapter 1 . 7/7/2008
hahaha nice story and i like how u had jack call Kinsey fatuus (YAY FOR LATIN!)
User 4575 chapter 1 . 9/11/2007
ROFLMAO! This story (and its sister) rock my socks off! Great job! How about one for Teal'c and/or Cameron? :P
Spiletta42 chapter 1 . 9/9/2007
Author's reply to the previous review:

If you'd read the sequel (I see you're aware of it), you'd better see how this society works. Sam and Jack, the viewpoint characters in the first story, are simply not paying attention to details which do not directly pertain to their situation. When Daniel and Vala become the viewpoint characters, the reader learns a great deal more about this culture, because their situation is different, and also because cultural issues fall under Daniel's jurisdiction, so to speak.

I've included nothing in my fictional culture that is not anthropologically feasible. Remember, the Xanute are the descendants of those transplanted by the goa'uld, and are small in number. This is not a nation-state, or even an archaic state; we are dealing with a chiefdom. In such a society, physical force plays a far lessor role in the political structure.

While Shen does get more lines in the fic than his wife, Le, it is not because he's wielding any particular power. He has the task of showing SG-1 to the mine, and he has some casual conversations with Jack.

Notice that we do not witness the treaty arrangements, or any other workings of Xanute government, in the course of this particular fic, because it does not serve the storyline to explore them. Also, there's no reason to assume that just because inheritance is matriarchal, men hold no power, or are second-class citizens. As a chiefdom, Xanute society would have the luxury of a more balanced power structure.

As for the decreased numbers of women, no explanation is given in this story (I do have one, but it's for a future fic) nor is it even stated whether this is a long-term issue or a short-term issue. To learn more, you'll have to wait for the conclusion of the trilogy.

Yes, many details of the Xanute culture were excluded in my storytelling, because this was not a scholarly paper on the likelihood of an alien society developing as described, but rather a piece of fiction with a specific story to tell. But that does not mean I am ignorant of the details that created this world.

Thank you for your comments.
VisualIDentificationZeta chapter 1 . 9/9/2007
ah... I see a big hole/bug in your plot... this is supposed to be a matriarchal society, but absolutely nothing even hinted at it... even more, it is clearly a patriarchal one...

First clues: Shen is always doing the talking and is acting like the boss, no woman has any kind of role and only one or two women have actually spoken a word in the whole fic.

There is also the fact that there are more men than women. I don't know how versed you are in history and anthropology (I myself am a student of history), but throughout history and different tribes and nations it was always the same: which gender is numerically dominant is also dominant politically, socially,... and even if men are not numerically dominant they would give up their dominant position only when forced to it with a fight. and lets face it, through the history there is only one example of a group of women, no matter how small or big, that were warriors, the Amazons. Only if women have risen up using violence were they able to either take control or at least get some political power... suffragettes.

That is why the Amazons, who's only contact with men was when they came together with men from a closeby tribe with the only purpose to mate and breed and produce offspring, gave male offspring back to that male tribe and kept only female offspring, thus keeping the tribe female-only. Unless they killed the male children instead of giving them back.

Anthropologically and politically speaking (and using common sense) the dominant/ruling party/gender would have control over every diplomatic, political, economic and social function and they would exert control themselves and not let the submissive party/gender do it in their stead. Government of every and any nation has complete control and they are the ones that exert and conduct for example diplomatic functions, they don't let the people do it. We are here to just make them fatter, more powerful and richer, we have no other rights.

So, following from all this, if you really wanted us to believe that this is a matriarchal society then you should've written the fic a lot differently, make women larger in numbers, give them complete control of every aspect of life and perhaps even be physically stronger because I can't imagine men letting themselves be submitted without a fight and the only way they would stay submitted is through force.

NO change of regime or social system or radical change of power can happen without the use of force and violence, no matter if women are the ones in power or the ones attacking, every party will use force to either change the regime or safeguard it.

But all in all it was an excellent fic that I have re-read many times and I love the fact that you not only didn't end it with that stupid UST, but also had them married in the end.

great job!
SqueeG-1 chapter 1 . 1/23/2007
I have read this story many times and enjoy it just as much or more as I did the first time. Thank you.
Dora87 chapter 1 . 8/16/2006
wow, this fic it's really sweet and so cute, and the most amazing thing that it's real in some way, because it could really happen to them, at least I hope it does! Anyway great fic, I really hope there's a sequel to this, pretty please!

Sam