Reviews for A Different Kind of Wisdom
whitehound chapter 2 . 11/15/2014
The characterisation in this is very nice, but I also wanted to comment on your author's note about Snape mocking Harry in class at a time when Harry "hadn't done anything".

To start with, Harry and Snape can each probably sense the taint of the Dark Lord in the other, but without knowing why, so each of them just feels that the other is creepy and threatening (and it's going to get so much worse once Snape finds out that Harry is a Parselmmouth). This is reinforced by the fact that the first time they see each other, they are unknowingly in the presence of what's under Quirrell's hat. Then their eyes meet and Harry grimaces - in fact because proximity to Quirrellmort has given him a twinge of pain, but from where Snape's sitting it's going to look as though Harry is glaring at him, and he is still seeing hatred in Lily's eyes. He will believe that Harry has been raised to hate him. At that point he may well see Harry as an extension not of James or Lily but of Petunia.

Then they get to the first Potions class and Snape is making his dramatic keynote speech and Harry and Ron aren't paying any attention to him, but to each other. Any teacher at that point would want to know if they were so advanced in their studies that they felt his class was beneath them, or were just being cheeky.

So then Snape asks Harry a series of three increasingly easy questions. Harry ought to be able to answer all of them, if he's paid attention to those textbooks he's only just read, and the third one is so easy it could be answered by an informed Muggle. Yet, Harry not only can't answer, but isn't even apologetic about not being able to answer, but cocksure and cheeky. We know Harry has reasons to be chippy to overbearing adult men, but Snape doesn't know this. From where he's standing, Harry is a creepy sinister kid who smells of the Dark Lord, doesn't pay attention and is gratuitously chippy, and whom he nevertheless has to train to be the saviour of the wizarding world..

Also, he probably doesn't know Harry has been raised in ignorance of his parents, so what he sees is Lily's son, the child that Lily died to save, the child who has been given all the credit which rightly belonged to Lily just because The Boy Who Lived sounds better than The Girl Who Died, and as far as Snape can see the boy has so little respect for his mother's love and sacrifice that he openly despises the very subject which his mother loved.

Plus, Draco is the son of Snape's friends and he's a sly kid who tries to put the blame for his own behaviour on other people, so ten to one Draco has already told Uncle Severus that Harry was nasty to him on the train - to pre-empt the possibility that Harry and Ron might complain about his rudeness to Ron.

The fact that Harry looks like James is just the icing on the cake - it doesn't create Snape's dislike of Harry from whole cloth, it just makes him more sensitive and reactive to the very real annoyances which Harry presents, but which he would have tolerated better if the kid didn't also have a face which probably makes him feel sick with fear and humiliation. Remember James didn't just bully Snape or get the girl, he carried out a minor sexual assault on him by stripping him (pants in British English means underpants, not trousers) and displaying his genitals to a baying mob - or perhaps only threatened to do so, in which case it's sexual harrassment. At any rate Snape is already pretty excitable and he's is bound to feel both queasy and creeped out whenever he sets eyes on Harry, and that's not a good frame of mind in which to tolerate Harry's issues with authority, which Snape doesn't know there's a good reason for.
mudpuddledemon chapter 3 . 10/30/2012
I've kept this in my favorites and reread it several times. Still absolutely lovely. So glad to have found it. 3
mudpuddledemon chapter 2 . 11/16/2011
Fantastic. I love her list. And her reasoning about her ears.
mudpuddledemon chapter 1 . 11/16/2011
"That doesn't make very much since at all." Since should be 'sense'.

"I could make something up if you like," she offered.

Made me smile. So perfectly Luna.

"Then there was an exceedingly long pause during which Snape stared at the floor and Luna stared at Snape." Love. Lovelovelove.

"I'm glad you're enjoying yourself," lol

I'm not sure when I've enjoyed a story without a hint of romance more. Not that I read them often, but I've been on a Luna kick recently. I can actually hear their voices saying the lines. Fantastic.
Astrid Oak Moon chapter 3 . 6/19/2011
Great job! You stayed in character very well. You should definitely continue; it feels as though you left off on a cliffhanger and there should definitely be more chapters. I really hope ou decide to add more!
Yudachi chapter 2 . 7/23/2009
My, my. This is quite a scene - Snape kissing Luna. Kinda reminds me of a House episode where Chase kissed a terminally-ill girl. Oh, sorry. I'm rambling.
XxSupernatural.lovexX chapter 3 . 4/10/2009
aww i really enjoyed the severus/Luna thing. charming!
Nautical Acronym chapter 3 . 11/12/2008
I really fell in love with this story. I have read a lot of fanfiction over the years and sometimes my characterizations get mangled because of that, but, from what I can tell, your Snape is very much in character and I don't think you slipped in any way when it comes to Luna.

Luna is an especially difficult character to write. I noticed that another reviewer said that her dialog was stilted, but I think that is sort of how she speaks in the books and is a part of her character.

I especially liked the part where Snape grabbed Luna in an attempt to get her to think of something, "then THINK!" lol. I guess it just really seemed to fit.

The kiss was very sweet too. And the way he pulled away when she asked "professor?": it was so lovely. He obviously isn't comfortable with taking advantage of a student whether shes asking to be kissed or not.

Very lovely stuff and although I would beg for you to continue I'm thinking your done with this story :)

Thank you so much for sharing!
Kore-of-Myth chapter 3 . 4/7/2008
This was very interesting. I hope you'll continue this somehow as I think you could write more about it.

Keep Writing!
Shekina666 chapter 1 . 2/23/2007
First GOOD HP fanfic I've read in a while xD
Parsley the Lion chapter 3 . 12/15/2006
The language in the speech is rather stilted, but it's not bad overall. Please update soon.
Vyacheslav Andreevici Braskov chapter 3 . 11/5/2006
why did you left it htis way?

this has to go on!

PLZ!
Medea Adar chapter 3 . 7/13/2006
i happen to find this story VERY interesting, plz continue!
duj chapter 3 . 4/20/2006
Snape has spent so many years playing this double game. I find it hard to believe he'd risk losing it all by sending his message through Luna, but on the other hand what choices does he have? I also doubt the Death Eaters would send her back at all. Normally people who disappeared (in the first Voldemort war) were never seen or found again.
amane's quill chapter 3 . 4/15/2006
Wow! Luna's so in character. Keep it up, it's great. Please update son.