Reviews for Of Fear and Self Preservation
Iveyn and Adler chapter 1 . 6/21
Amazing! Absolutely amazing! Pity this is a one-shot... is it possible that you could write more? It would be great!
DelilahUnknown chapter 1 . 5/18/2012
I wish this was more than a oneshot. This is how any normal people would react. Not all like "you seem so strange...ill listen to you" or "no way! You can't kidnap me! *punch/runaway"

It's the balance, a realistic balance.
phantommusician13 chapter 1 . 3/8/2011
Amazing! I love the reaction. It's so much more realistic (I think. I've never been kidnapped, so I wouldn't really know.) This is how I imagined Christine's thoughts in the Leroux novel. It's extremely well written and a fabulous story. Congrats!
EplusCequalsLUV chapter 1 . 7/18/2008
Hey this was it possible that you could make it more than a one shot? It would be great!
Nobody chapter 1 . 3/15/2008
Thank you! Whenever I read a fanfic where Christine just calmly accepts that she's been kidnapped I think, "No way." This is much better.
smashing chapter 1 . 2/22/2008
You did an amazing job of evoking emotion and staying realistic in this fic. To be honest, your stories leave me with such a feeling of "rightness" and completeness that I don't feel like I can give any worthwhile comments. But I love getting reviews, so I try to give them whenever I read a story I really enjoy. And this one certainly qualifies _
Lorien Urbani chapter 1 . 2/6/2008
Ave! Very realistic, very realistic. I LOVED her reaction, when she woke up and realized she was in a strange place, having been kidnapped. I could feel her fear, despair, especially when she was thinking about all the things she wouldn't be able to do. That was a very nice touch and, again, realistic. Giving this some thought, I'd react in a very similar way. At least I haven't read a fic that tackled this issue of Christine's kidnapping in this way. I'll buy the moments of excitement, when the woman is in love with the kidnapper. But still, even such a woman wouldn't take the kidnpping by him easily. Wonderful approach!
Madhatter45 chapter 1 . 11/16/2007
That is perfect. I can't tell you how many times I've read stories where Christine is all "Oh I've been kidnapped, oh well, this guy is nice. I'll stay forever! Yay!" It's stupid and unrealistic. If I was kidnapped by a guy who said he oved me, I'd be afaird he was a serial killer and that he was gonna rape me. Even if he did all the nice things Erik did I'd still think it's all leading up to my murder. But in those dumb fanfics Christine is so-o-o-o-o unreal, and Erik wins her over too easily. But then again when you think about it, most people write E/C because they like Erik. And so they are really just creating a romance between them and Erik but their hiding behind Christine's name. And by doing this they destroy Christine's character and replace all of her actions and reactions with things they would do if they were with Erik. This kills the story and it makes Christine look stupid. I'm so-o-o-o-o-o-o happy you are here please make some sense of this place! They've killed the characters Maat! They've killed them all! I can hear their screaming, as the people of tear them apart! LOL.
PhantomPhluter chapter 1 . 2/27/2007
Wow. That was a really good reaction! It was nice to read something believable. I was talking to my brother about all the fics that have kidnappings in them where the Christine is so passive. So thank you for writing two that where she's trying to fight back. :)
VeroniqueClaire chapter 1 . 12/22/2006
Another bit of fantastic writing - you do modern day as well as you write the 1880s. Well done!
emiliakate chapter 1 . 11/10/2006
V. good, I went back to this after reading the chapter of your new series that incorporates this. It's good both as a one-shot and as a series.
MJ MOD chapter 1 . 7/22/2006
This is a very good beginning. It feels real, she's scared and it's perfectly normal. I hope you will do a story with it.
Syndic-Machiavelli chapter 1 . 6/29/2006
How could you leave this at a single chapter! The thorough and realistic characterisation is a very welcome change from the...overly casual fics (or just plain crap, to be blunt) that give no thought to the reasonable reactions and emotions of the characters. As much as I like Christine/Erik fics if I were in Christine's shoes I would probably run to Raoul in a flash: if anyone disagrees they evidently haven't realised she's been snatched away to a basement by an evidently unstable if not homicidal musician and if the authors do realise the implausibility of their Christine they ignore or "tame" Erik's darker nature that is even plainly evident in the ALW musical. Right: after all tat ranting, I'll just say that I loved your story and lament it's brevity.
Charlie Quill chapter 1 . 4/21/2006
Oh my God. THANK YOU! So yes, there are more people who think characters have gotten very...lax in their reations! Goodness gracious golly goodness. That's good to know. Well, carry on.
AHealingRenaissance chapter 1 . 4/4/2006
That's probably exactly how I'd react. I can't wait to see how Erik wins her over ;D