Reviews for The Once and Future King
Maran Zelde chapter 44 . 11h ago
I thought you'd abandoned this story, but I'm glad you've taken it up again. Carl may have deserved to die, but Jack would've regretted killing him in the long run. I particularly like Englehorn in this chapter: the way he stopped Jack from murdering Carl (or at least committing manslaughter), yet he still got in a couple of non-lethal blows himself. I'll bet that felt good. Then when Jack freed the little feathered dinosaur, it felt like he was trying to make up for what happened to Kong.
ograndebatata chapter 45 . 4/16
Well, it seems that my concerns at the end of the previous chapter were, for the most part, groundless, seeing as the natives decided not to try anything after all, and the only creatures other than Kong we even caught a glimpse of were those fur seals.

Still, it is obvious the tension is high, but considering everything everyone went through, I would go as far as to say it is expected. At least it seems the efforts of Jack and his helpers were not completely in vain, considering that some of the chaps they treated were saved. It is sad that it was not enough for some - and it leads me to suspect that Jack will have yet another thing to torment him in the coming weeks, months, or even years. Poor fellow just can't seem to catch a break ever since he ended up on the Venture.

And poor Ann as well... if Jack hasn't caught a break ever since ending up on the Venture, Ann seems to never have caught one in her whole life, going by her thoughts and remarks at the end. Now not only is her relationship with her hero - and everyone else on the Venture - seriously damaged (in some cases, I'd say irrepairably so), but she has to watch a good friend like Kong endure something which I feel is much worse than mere captivity, which in itself must be far from pleasant already.

And poor Kong as well... I can't even imagine what he must be thinking or feeling.

All in all, poor just about everyone, except maybe Carl.

With that said, all the thoughts and psychological torments in this chapter were excellently described. Congratulations for that. Also, thank you for yet another great chapter.
ograndebatata chapter 44 . 4/12
Well, first of all, before I actually review this chapter, I would like to tell you it is a great pleasure to have you back! Thank you for returning, and for delivering us readers another chapter.

You certainly don't seem to have lost your touch over the hiatus, because this chapter was excellent! A bit disturbing in a few places, but excellently written.

I was honestly more than a bit surprised when I learned Carl got more than a few dead or live animals while on the way to the village, given that just about anything he could find on Skull Island and would actually be possible to capture or kill would pale in comparison to Kong. But it's realistic he would do so, given that there was always the possibility they wouldn't manage to capture Kong. I feel sorry for those poor animals, though (except perhaps the young Weta rex). The young sabretooth marsupials in particular tugged at my heartstrings in particular.

Speaking of which, are they by chance the same species that briefly featured in "At A Prehistoric Circus"?

Moving on... Jack's beating of Carl was disturbing to read. As excellently written as the rest of the chapter, but to imagine that Jack, so to speak, actually sank so low because of Ann's rejection, Carl's betrayal, and everything else he endured on the island and at the Lion King universe... it's a bit upsetting. Then again, he did endure more than a fair bit. And he at least retained enough sanity not to throw himself at Englehorn when the man interrupted his beating of Carl.

Still, I can imagine things will more than a bit tense during those six-seven weeks it will take to get to New York. I wonder if any foot will end up jammed into Carl's backside when those on the Venture last see him - assuming there's only one on the waiting list, that is.

And Jack just had to make things even more tense by not only releasing that feathered dinosaur Carl captured, but actually not warning Carl about the animal's venomous teeth. But at least the animal got to be reunited with her mate. Too bad it's likely they'll end up dying in a decade and a half when Skull Island finishes sinking beneath the sea - assuming their lifespan is long enough and they won't end up being caught by a Venatosaurus or some other large carnivore.

At least, it seems the worst part of the trouble is over for the Venture and those aboard - though as long as they're close to Skull Island, there's always the possibility that something will happen, such as the natives trying something to prevent Kong from being taken, or some of Skull Island's coastal or even aquatic beasts to make things difficult. I sure hope not, though - they've had enough trouble already.

Whatever happens next, though, thank you very much for yet another excellent chapter! I look forward to the next - and once again, it's great to have you back!
Whiteling chapter 43 . 1/14/2012
Oh sent to another land then back ot he nightmare- big deal you two! When do they return to the pridelands?
Maran Zelde chapter 43 . 5/8/2011
Emotions run strong in times of stress, causing people to lash out at each other and say things they don't really mean (that doesn't excuse Jack hitting Ann, however). I just wish our heros had directed their anger solely at Carl from the get go - he's the only one who deserves it.

This is a poetic description: "her silvery voice ineffectually sliding through the salt air."

The drama is believable in this chapter. I don't know how Jack and Ann will reconcile after that literal slap in the face. Possibly they will again reach an understanding if and when they are sent back to the LK universe, as the only two humans for miles around.
ograndebatata chapter 43 . 4/16/2011
Well, expanding canon material is not always the easiest thing to do, that much is certain. However, you have done it very well, much better than I could possibly do.

And well... to start, I am awfully sorry for Ann, who watched Kong, who, I believe, can be described as a 'best friend' or even a sort of 'big brother' for her, have to pay such a price only because he did what he thought was right, and because he tried to save her.

I'm also sorry for Jack, going through such troubles to save Ann from that hell, not to mention what he went through in Africa, and then Ann not only shuns him away, but believes he also was into the whole 'capturing Kong' deal. That surely wasn't pleasant - and for the record, congratulations for the original idea, as I believe I never saw one fanfic where Ann thought Jack was in on Carl's plan. I wonder what you're going to do to put their relationship back together after they experienced such a thing.

One guy I can't say I feel all that sorry for is Carl... but I do feel a bit. After all, considering the furious state Jack has reached, it certainly won't be pleasant for Carl to be on the receiving end of our twentieth-century Shakespeare's wrath. But after all, Carl brought it all on himself. He should have known when to stop.

As usual, it was a great update, and I look forward to the next one. Oh, and congratulations on the "finding a wonderful girlfriend" part. I wish that event had also happened to me... but then again, I just have my hands too full to have enough time for that, I guess. Either way, reviews are not the place for me to ramble about it.

Oh, and because I imagine how nice it must be for you (or any other writer) to hear such a thing, there's something else I want to say: thank you for this excellent chapter.
Sharks Potter chapter 43 . 4/15/2011
Hey Nate!

It's good to have you back after all this time; i had thought you had given up on your story! Wow, Jack really lost control this time; and so did Ann. I mean, hell yeah Jack hates Kong but only wishes to stay as far away from him as possible. Ann was wrong to accuse Jack so badly, not to mention accusing him for the death of Mufasa! And Jack slapping Ann; the biggest mistake a man can do, aside from rape.

So when will they return to the world of the LK? I had hoped they would be accompanying Simba into the oasis but i guess they will only see him as an adult...Perhaps around the same time as Nala shows up? Oh and i forgot, they already know Scar is the true killer! Perhaps this information will reach Simba at the right moment? And i am dying to see another confrontation with the hyenas; perhaps Jack can feed them pistol bullets this time? Please have them return to the LK universe soon!

Looks like Carl is going to be very rudely interrupted, no? Looking forward to learn what happens next...

You're doing an excellent job so far so keep up the good work and please update soon!

All the best,

Alex
Emeraldskylights53 chapter 1 . 10/30/2010
Damn... You got a good story going here.
Maran Zelde chapter 42 . 10/8/2010
The small gliding raptors in the previous chapter were interesting, especially with their parrot-like coloration and inquisitive personalities. I doubt that they could have killed two humans even if they wanted to, but they could have seriously injured them, which may have attracted larger predators.

“They were fear itself on churning legs and pounding feet…” This line is a good description of their sheer panic.

"I'll believe that the day I see my cousin's cows all blast off and fly to Saturn.” Stranger things have happened in this story. ;)

You described the canyon so well that I vividly pictured it in my head. It probably helped that I watched “The Lost World” long ago.
ograndebatata chapter 42 . 9/29/2010
Well, it's a little bit sad to see the story coming to this point, because it also means it's coming to the point where Jack and Ann have their fight - their long fight, I'd even say. I liked the last moments on Skull Island, and the animals that got to be seen.

I wonder what will happen next (well, I have a general idea, seeing as I saw the movie, but I wonder what you'll put on your version of the 'between scenes').
Maran Zelde chapter 41 . 9/27/2010
Yes, centipedes have far too many legs and venom. And they are too quick and agile for my comfort. I searched for centipedes on Youtube and saw a video of a centipede eating a mouse. I made sure I watched in the morning so it wouldn't give me nightmares. D8

Are Ann's bloodcurdling screams referring to the 1933 movie, where the character's screams were overkill? Or are they just a way for Kong to find Ann, story-wise? In any case, they did help Kong almost catch up with her. I'm sure he'll find a way to cross the river sooner or later.
ograndebatata chapter 41 . 9/20/2010
Well, I'd never have imagined you'd update again so quickly, but well, I'm not complaining.

Again, I liked all the animals that appeared in this chapter, although the bird-like reptiles with the bite of a Gila monster... well, it's good they didn't bite Ann and Jack.

The Stickalithus - well, I can't even imagine what that monster would look like if it appeared in Peter Jackson's movie.

At least Ann and Jack managed to get across the river without being caught by Kong... but he'll eventually get past, I guess. Now it's only a matter of how quickly he does so.
Maran Zelde chapter 40 . 9/18/2010
I’m perplexed that the Carocarptor thought the humans were “vaguely birdlike.” Is it because we walk on two legs? In any case, I’m relieved that the Carocarptor let Jack and Ann pass.

I don’t fault Jack for killing the centipede; I’m terrified of those things. But Ann is right that it was a pointless risk, as well as a waste of energy.
ograndebatata chapter 40 . 9/16/2010
Well, I've praticed the first R, now I'm going to practice the second.

I sort of expected one of the Carocarptors to chase Jack and Ann, but I guess that if such a thing happened, there'd be no way for them to get away.

It's brave of Jack not to leave Ann, but I don't really see how he can stand up to Kong if he appears - although, having seen the movie, I have a fairly good idea of what's going to happen.

Then again, I'm interested in seeing what will happen 'till we're back to movie moments, so I'll be looking forward to the next capter.
Maran Zelde chapter 39 . 9/13/2010
I like the moment when Ann, after escaping the bats and fast-flowing river, looks up at the moon and marvels at her journey there. I enjoyed that unexpected detour, by the way. It was like a consolation gift from Rafiki to Jack and Ann, and gave them a boost of optimism too I hope.

You just had to end it on a cliffhanger, didn't you? I'll have to wait and see how this man and woman survive the wildest wilderness ever conceived.