Reviews for The Ties that Bind
x.symphony chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
This was... Extremely touching :'(

My eyes were wet after reading this. You are an amazing writer to make me (and probably many others) feel touched by the amazing description between character and Pokemon. Thanks for writing this moving story for us 3
Guest chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
As I finished this I let out a deep breathe and whispered "Wow."

The writing is amazing and the parenthesis pound your point in. This is beautiful.
TheCrimsonZephyr chapter 1 . 6/19/2011
Excellent story. There is no love greater than between a boy and his Charizard. :D
inuliedelfenx chapter 1 . 6/5/2011
That was so beautiful. I love the POV in which you wrote it.
ENLIGHTENMENT chapter 1 . 11/5/2010
I am not known to cry. I've read the saddest fics I could find and have gotten through them with dry eyes (except for the occasional one).

But this? This is one of the few fics that I can honestly say I cried at. It's beautifully written, and the tense and POV only enhance it by making you feel as if you really are going through the pain the persona feels.

You are an amazing writer.

Just please don't make me cry this much, okay? I still haven't gotten over "I'm Already There" from the Detective Conan archives.
Dreamicide chapter 1 . 6/19/2010
Amazing. Brilliant. I could say more, but I think you get the picture.

Thank you so much for writing this. It's four years old, but still. Damn.
saberbride chapter 1 . 4/21/2010
Aw I'm usually not so affected by emotional stories like this but it made me tear up!

I liked the fact that you chose to write in second person POV because it seemed to have the maximum effect that way, and it made it easier for me to empathize with everything that happened to the trainer. The entire piece shows true mastery of prose.
PixiePool chapter 1 . 4/8/2010
awh i love your one-shot. it kinda made me tear up a little in places. ah and seeing how Charmander is my favorite stater, deffently the one I'd picked it made it sadder somehow.

good job :)

DbysWerwlf
Darkamber8828 chapter 1 . 8/14/2009
Sniff...Sniff...Sniff

WAH!

(good story)
Keltena chapter 1 . 1/13/2009
Wow. This is just... amazing. I'm afraid I'm not really a good constructive reviewer, but I just wanted to say how much this affected me. All the little details, everything... you just packed so much emotion into this story. The second person POV really makes an impact, and the second to last line made me tear up.

Just... wow.
Ryan Libra chapter 1 . 1/7/2009
Hello. Got over your story and would like to drop a review.

At the beginning of the battle between the persona's Charizard and the Champion's Venusaur, I don't recall the persona mentioning the type advantage his pokemon had. Must be that his experience over his journey has taught him not to underestimate an opponent.

I liked some of your lines, like this one: "The flame washes over skin and plant like a giant tide..." Really nice how you used the characteristics of water to describe a flame!

This succession of short paragraphs made me all the more aware of the persona's horror after the battle:

"Please...

Don’t let anything be wrong.

It can’t go wrong.

It’s not right, it’s not fair.

He’s just fainted, that’s all. Nothing more.

Nothing more…"

Also, in the part where Nurse Joy rushes into the operating rom, these questions were really haunting: "How would she know that your Charizard hates to be alone with people he doesn’t know? ... How would she know that he hates needles? ... If he wakes up, will she know how to handle him? Can she comfort him like you do when he’s frightened or sad?" Something about these questions really heightened the emotion. I guess it's because they show how the persona really knew his Charizard.

Go Mama Blissey! Go blast those insensitive reporters and bludgeon those trainers! xD

The ending gave me goosebumps. There was something poignant about recalling their escapades while scattering his Charizard's ashes. It revealed a rich past that was shared prior to the defining moment.

Hmm... regarding the unconventional POV, I think what it did for me was put me straight into the heart of the persona, so much so that as I went through the fic, each memory, feeling, and thought eventually became mine. Maybe it's why I could feel the persona's horror, disbelief, and pain. The POV and tense may be uncommon, but I think whoever decides to continue reading despite this gets beautifully rewarded at the end of the story.

It was a wonderful read. My heart clenched at a lot of parts. This may be a story that was completed a few years ago, but I'm glad I was able to read it. :D

~Ryan L
RandomTopic chapter 1 . 12/31/2008
Oh... this is so good. I feel so sad about Charizard's death... but I love how you went over some good and funny moments at the end. That was nice. Much better than a cesspool of angst and bitterness.
SunLight chapter 1 . 12/11/2008
Beautiful. The companionship you portrayed between the pokemon and the trainer is so sweet and tender. You captured the trainer's sorrow so well. I'm especially touched that charmeleon evolved into his final form to save his trainer. It's just so sad and stunning.
rabidcatking chapter 1 . 5/6/2008
truly a very wonderful piece, but extremely sad. reading this has officialy made mine a somber evening. No insults or critisisms, i loved this just fine and cant imagine what you should change. very deep and sentimental, it was a terrific read and the whole story captured my complete attention. Im going to go cheer myself up, now . Great work!
Damned Lolita chapter 1 . 3/10/2008
Oh...

I loved this. It's the best way I can think of to make me feel good about my beloved Charizard Szeren, who died about eight months ago. Thank you for writing such a lovely story; has this experience happened to you as well?
38 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »