Reviews for Lonely But Not Alone
somebody chapter 1 . 5/27/2009
you're probably right
Kennedy Leigh Morgan chapter 1 . 4/16/2006
Love it! You captured The Witch and Elphaba perfectly, and the difference between the two really showed, I loved that as well. I liked the whole premise of her loneliness though she wasn't really alone, and the whole manic-depressive thing was a good way to describe what her life had evolved into by the end. I loved the last line, in fact the whole last two paragraphs were my favorite, it's sad, but it almost makes the ending happy as well. Wonderful job!
Thessaly chapter 1 . 4/14/2006
I think you're fantastically brave to take on the bookverse at all (I liked it, but I couldn't write in it), and talented to get this out of it. It's good. Your attention to Maguire's original is great (points especially for picking up the nuances of when she's Elphaba and when she's the Witch). I'd love to see more action in it; I think one of the flaws of the book is that Maguire spends too much time with Elphaba in isolation, when really the best way to communicate someone's character is to show how they relate to others. So, basically, this is great this length, but I don't think it could get any longer.

Really, I think the only problem is that the syntax is sometimes too heavy. Grandiose language demands the right setting, and here, it isn't quite working for me. For instance, here: "As the water doused her body, the Witch felt an unbounded pain that she thought would never go away." Something about that sentence is both too big and too contemporary and the result is cliche. Unbounded is a strange word here, and the casualty of "she thought would never go away" doesn't match the more elevated tone of "unbounded pain."

The other one that jars is "spiteful" which is a word that sort of sounds like what it portrays (does that make sense? It's a spiteful word...) and in any case a bit petty for the Witch. Nessa is spiteful; the Witch is, if I must put a word to it, tragic.

Heh. Kind of long. Sorry. It's good though, really. You grabbed Elphaba's character really well from what I thought was the most difficult part of the book. Nicely done, you.
Elphie Marky chapter 1 . 4/12/2006
Great fic, I loved it!
Yero my hero chapter 1 . 4/11/2006
I loved the part with Elphaba dying in Fiyero's home as he had died in hers. I'd never thought of that before. Oh, *sob*

Why is Wicked so sad? This was, however, wonderful. You didn't even have any silly dialogue and I still loved it. :D
elphabathedelirious32 chapter 1 . 4/10/2006
That was so good...and sad. D mn sad one-shots and Gregory Maguire's sadism! (I read Son of A Witch again, it always depresses me)