Reviews for Richard, the Third
PadsterBriggs01 chapter 8 . 9/2/2015
Fantastic, so the best story I have seen on this site and better than some novels have read recently.

If this story was a made in to a proper book it would be sitting on my bookshelves in a place of honor.

Well done :)
Ishmael of the Clouds chapter 8 . 3/16/2013
I have read this at least six times, and each time it just blows me away with how well it is written and how uniquely the character of Richard is encapsulated. *slow clap*
Ordgar chapter 8 . 8/7/2012
This is a fantastic story and a well thought out adaptation of this classic tale and the fascinating history behind it. This would be a bestselling novel in my opinion. I wonder if you've read 'The Sunne In Splendour' by Sharon Kay Penman? It's a fantastic novelisation of the life of the real Richard III that I finished reading barely an hourly before I wrote this review and I was almost in tears several times whilst I read the last chapters about his reign. Anyway, a brilliant story, one of my favourite fanfictions, well done!
Bess Woodville chapter 8 . 9/5/2011
OMG! That was sooo amazing, I like this and your portrayal of Richard and edward!
What-Ansketil-Did-Next chapter 8 . 2/2/2011
This is the most amazing thing EVER!
tzitzitlini chapter 8 . 8/24/2010
I'm an old and dedicated Ricardian and I just loved the story. I share with you both the admiration for the historical Richard and the sneaky liking for the Shakespearean character.

Thanks for the story - this IS literature and not fan fiction.
ScroogeMcDuck chapter 8 . 2/5/2010
I read through this story in one night; it was simply /amazing/. Astounding. Magnificent...You're smart enough to get where I'm going with this. XD

Breathtaking work here truly, what with all the historial references, your potrayls of Richard's minions (I was a particular fan of Catesby and Dr. Ingram) and of course, Richard himself. Your blend of historical and fictional (Shakespeare) never ceased to astound me. I must hasten to add that I really enjoyed your potrayl of Clarence also; very different to how I'd imagine it but that's what made it all so interesting.

Once again, stellar work. I'd definitley purchase this.
mel barrow chapter 8 . 4/19/2009
hi, i dont know who u r but if i worked for a publishing company i sure would want to find out. this is book matiral stuff. it plays out like a cross between a soap opra and shakespears orginal. i applaud u. it's brilent.
Ringkichardthethrid chapter 8 . 8/29/2007
Bravo. This is easily the best thing I have ever read on this site.
RogueFemme chapter 8 . 10/25/2006
He's not the historical Richard, nor Shakespeare's Richard, but a little of both in a new personality. That's not easy to do, but you've managed it admirably. I like the little references to history and to the play, and the story was just different enough from WS's to keep the reader wondering what comes next. I especially enjoyed your characterization of Richard's 'minions'.

It's nice to see so many other Ricardians on
Little White Bird chapter 5 . 7/29/2006
I really loved this.

Richard I fanfiction is my favourite thing ever, and there's not nearly enough of it around. All the psychological stuff - of Richard and of the others - really rings true, and all the little references to the play and to history made me squirm with delight.

You said you wanted constructive criticism. Until about half way through I really thought you were going to get away with making Primavera that much of a Mary Sue, but I'm afraid I don't think you did. She gets irritating by the end. I know we're seeing her through Richard's eyes, but she needs a few proper flaws - if you don't want R to be able to see them, there are ways of making the reader do so despite his blindness.

The main problem is with Richard himself though. What does Primavera say in that wonderful speech when they get together: "while at the same time being the most fascinatingly evil and reprehensible creature on the face of the earth..." Um... no. He's a bit sarcastic, and when he was younger he was understandably quite bitter and angry. He has a few blind spots, like not thinking about what motivates other people, but he is mostly aware of them and doing his best to counter them. Basically the man's a saint: honest, conscientious, generous, altruistic.

It reads as though you fell in love with him as you were writing him and couldn't bear to make him evil in any way, then suddenly remembered what you were supposed to be doing in chapter 7, and put those words in Primavera's mouth, where they sound a bit silly.

I really did enjoy it though - it would be well worth editing. I've gone on for too long. If you want more feedback, contact me.
Thornwitch chapter 8 . 7/13/2006
Wow! What an absolutely fabulous story! and BTW, your'e one of the only authors on here who usually makes me want to go dive into the non-fiction section of the Public Library to do research! I totally enjoyed the characters, the not-so subtle digs at certain faith-based organizations and their philosophy, and of course, the lovely way you wove global climate change into your tale.

I feel kind of sheepish that I haven't read or reviewed it earlier, but life has been...interesting lately.

So agin, yay! great novella. It saved me from losing my marbles (more)during some very mind-numbing days in my alternate life as an express wearing, cubicle-dwelling corporate cog.
Rosy the Cat chapter 8 . 5/18/2006
*blink-blink*

Huh. Well, that last bit contradicts some of the stuff on Richard I that made it into one of my favorite history books. Note to self: do some more research over the summer.

Kick-ass job over all, Gevaisa. You rock.

Rosy the Cat chapter 5 . 5/18/2006
D'oh!

Can you believe it took me this long to notice the British history reference for the company name, Gevaisa? A.L.-Bion, or Albion, the original name for the island of Britain as recorded by Greek sailors. Yeesh; some history nut I am!

Anyway, the story is certainly interesting, certian issues we both know about nonwithstanding. Great job so far, mi amiga!

Rosy the Cat chapter 2 . 5/18/2006
*blink-blink*

Wow. This is certainly interesting, Gevaisa. I'm wondering, where did you get the idea for Richard's family faith? I mean, what current religion was the basis for it, like X religion to the extreme? Just curious.