Reviews for A Lesson Learned
KJun chapter 1 . 10/12/2013
YES! Thank you, Jak!
I'm not only from the South, but from Cajun Country in South Louisiana so whether they took aim at Swamp People or "hillbillies," I took double offense at the way the Swamp Benders were portrayed.
I applaud you and other fan fic riders who saw past the stereotypes to the wisdom that these people had to share with a world that thought it was too sophisticated for these uncouth barbarians that Hakoda just wished would wear pants. That's rich for someone who's son eats like a pig at a trough. I've seen actual pigs eat their slop and that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw Sokka eat for the first time at a KING'S table.
Work on your own house, Chief, your boy is reinforcing every negative stereotype of SWT that the world has ever known by his lack of manners.

Again, awesome story.

Kat
Akita-chan22 chapter 1 . 6/14/2006
Huh. I never thought of that before...interesting idea and explanation, that would make sense. And through all that you managed to fit a moral in there! Like a Disney movie! haha

Akitachan
Z Star The Hidden Dragon chapter 1 . 4/24/2006
I love the lesson here. Never judge a book by it's cover.

Aang: O.O You sound so cliché.

Z Star: . I know. Anyway, great story!
NeverDust chapter 1 . 4/22/2006
Not from the south but apreciate your point! Like the little innuendoes too (or maybe I'm seeing what I wanna see..) Good job!
LilliesOfTheValley chapter 1 . 4/19/2006
I've got rednecks where I come from, and we're not that dumb. (I made a ryhme! YAY ME!)

Yeah, they did seem a bit... stupid. But eh.

Nice one-shot. Sokka was perfect in this!
bndrchic15 chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
very good moral here
Kat A. Klysmic chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
I was also offended (though amused at the same time) as I was born and raised in the deep south!

This was a great chapter though!
AlleluiaElizabeth chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
As a southern gal myself, I am grateful to you for this fic. It was great and funny. I loved the way you portrayed the swamp's residents. And I think this is an awesome way for Katara to come upon the idea of "bloodbending". The mudbending comment, with the dad piping in, was really funny. Great job on your dialogue. :) I wish I could make mine read half as naturally. And thanks for the subtle Zutara hint! lol

Nice fic!
beanrox chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
Tis awesome. i saw only saw the last ten minutes of it, but my sister vagualy filled me in on it.
sleepy-geeky chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
Yay! I'm so glad you wrote something positive about the hillbillies! I'm from Mississippi, and just like you said, I was a little offended at the portrayal.

I really liked the story and the idea of 'bending being passed down like a tradition instead of learned. And the part about the earthbenders marrying was really interesting, too.
superlazygirl chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
As a southern woman myself I had a major redneck fangirl squealing moment when I saw the hillbillies in "The Swamp." And a second one when I read this story.

Your writing is simply beautiful. You did an excellent job portraying the hillibillies as more than just "simple" people. Bravo!
Worker72 chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
I kinda of like the way you had the hillbillies waterbenders laugh at the ignorance of the more civiliazed brethren. Typecasting a hillbilly culture like that was just plain stupid of the writers. I especially liked the implied ignorance of Master Pakku and another thing that I didn't like about the show was how Katara just assumed her GranGran(Kana) left the Northpole because she didn't love Pakku. It would be better if GranGran had left because she was caught up in a Firenationraid raped and impregnated by firebender. That could mean both Sokka and Katara would have fire nation blood in their veins.
raevyn93 chapter 1 . 4/16/2006
I'm not from the South... wait is Pennsylvania part of the south? Because my Uncle Will, cousins Julie, John, and Keith are from there. I'm not exactly sure where my Aunt Annie is from, because my grandpa was in the navy. Oh, my mom was born in Maryland (is that part of the South?)!

PS I just remembered that I was born in Virginia, but when I was no more than a few weeks old (when my parents had signed the forms) my parents took me to New York. (I was adopted.)
kayko15 chapter 1 . 4/16/2006
It was a great chapter. I would have never guessed.

Zuko: Wow.

Me: Anyway, this was a great chapter/fic. I can't wait to see more of your great work. Later. K15
Flutie2891 chapter 1 . 4/16/2006
Thank You. I'm from the South, too, and when I heard the swamp people, I was all 'So Avatar's making fun of rednecks. Great.' I love how you included mudbending, the subtle Zutara hint, and how you made Tho, Katara, and Sokka kin. X) Awesome job, as usual.