Reviews for To Face the Wolf
Sear chapter 6 . 3/30/2011
Just in case I forget to review, which I do all to frequently: this is lovely. It's such a well thought-out, moving story. I'm enjoying it greatly.
awaylaughing chapter 18 . 3/22/2011
I've read this fully twice now and still don't have the words to express how much I appreciate your writing it. First off, the premise is beautifully done, most people don't bother to really explain things like this aside from "it's magic!" but you not only did so you also thought up how to reverse it and a wonderful example of the whole thing gone wrong (I've just finished reading Hamlet actually so it tickled my fancy).

The characters are brilliant and I feel deeply for Hermione, I really do. During my first read through of the Silmarillion some of my most feverent wishes were that Finrod and Aredhel didn't have to die and that Gondolin didn't need to fall. I also felt for Remus, the parallels you made between him and Finrod were wonderful. Snape was also good, I liked his POV if only because it was so different from the others.

Most of all I liked the little details, your mentioning of the Wizard's Burden made me laugh, Finrod's predisposition toward philosophy, all of it really made this story. The scene with his story was one that really struck me and I do wonder which positions Dumbledore and Lupin found themselves in.

I could gush some more but it wouldn't be very thoughtful or entirely sane so I'll settle for saying that this is how crossovers should be done. Very much a favourite.
Klassiekertje chapter 18 . 1/10/2011
Applause! Hoorray!
Crimson Cupcake chapter 18 . 12/31/2010
Wow. Just...wow! Amazing, brilliant, awesome. What else can I say? Undoubtedly one of the best fics I have ever read - Finrod's character was so absolutely perfect. (As was everyone else's, of course). It was thoughtful, amazing and wonderful how he kind of...never took sides. I mean, he let Wormtail go (admittedly, I was not so pleased about that) and let Sirius do whatever he wanted, and somehow managed to side with Lupin at the same time. Because of this fic, he has risen significantly up on my 'favourite characters list'.

For some reason, it really hurt when they said Finrod was fictional. I don't know why...I mean, he /is/, but if only LOTR were true... -sigh- If Tolkien had written this a few thousand years earlier, it might've become a religion xD As it is, I can imagine why Finrod is so averse to being called fictional. (And of course, his argument was perfectly valid.) Speaking of his arguments...they're both befitting of an Elven King and of a stranger lost in a foreign land. My favourite part (and I rarely have favourites, but this part was awesome xD) was his harp-playing. It's great you put it in Snape's POV because he would usually be least moved by such a thing. And your descriptions...amazing! I need to learn from you xDD

The POV switching was quite ingenious. Personally, I'm not used to switching POVs every once in a while, but the way you did it was perfect. Some authors rewrite scenes that already happened in another's POV, but you didn't. Thanks so much for that xD Finrod learning English was quite... (amusing isn't the right word) ...fascinating as well xD I'm really not quite sure how the whole time-turner thing works, and Finrod and Dumbledore's philosophical stuff totally killed my brain there 8D But I'll trust the geniuses with their own work.

Overall, I love this fic, especially the ending line. That line was particularly powerful in the Sil as well, and I'm so glad you decided to end with it. I know I'm reviewing a few /years/ late, but thank you so much for writing this so people like me can enjoy it Happy new year!
Kitt Otter chapter 1 . 10/31/2010
Hi! There's a proper review at MEFAs. I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed this story. It's going on my Favorites. :)
Larner chapter 18 . 10/14/2010
Why do I think that Namo and Vaire and Ulmo happen to enjoy looking at this small artifact of a universe not their own, and imagining that world from which it comes?

Excellent, and thanks for a couple day's worth of reading!
Larner chapter 17 . 10/14/2010
Perhaps he will indeed now die, but he will now also go through Mandos as is proper to his kind, and will have the chance to be reunited with his Amarie and his family once more!
Larner chapter 16 . 10/14/2010
I certainly approve of Finrod's suggestions. Now, to learn how he returns to his own world!
Larner chapter 15 . 10/14/2010
Yes, Estel he has in spades! Excellent summation!
Larner chapter 14 . 10/14/2010
I can understand why Remus is concerned, but I doubt he needs to be so.
Larner chapter 13 . 10/14/2010
Indeed, most clever of Snape! Now, can Hermione manage to send Finrod back as she conjured him up?

And love the reference to what I believe was Hamlet! Heh!
Larner chapter 12 . 10/14/2010
Very astute, Lupin. And glad you're following the comments!

So, now Hermione knows what she's done, and experiences some of what Harry's going through.
Larner chapter 11 . 10/13/2010
Ooh-Finrod and a Dementor? Now, to see how he defeats it! An Elda is beyond its experience, after all!
Larner chapter 10 . 10/13/2010
Interesting to see Snape realizing the story of Finrod is from the book he holds. But even he can't imagine a student managing to bring Finrod out of the book! Heh! Poor guy!
Larner chapter 9 . 10/13/2010
Finrod as Snape-now, that is quite the image! Heh! Love that Remus saw through it!
143 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »