Reviews for Area 88: The Tale of a Lone Cat
Fantasydotcom82 chapter 1 . 9/3/2010
Very interesting to start. It had me hanging onto it from the start until the end...or is this not the end ;P

Anyway, I've watched and fell in love with Area 88, so I ho[pe that this becomes a great fanfiction. I'm very curious about this Ensign character and would like to see him more developed in the story, along with his Girlfriend, Sammie. Who would have thought that old man had a daughter! Brilliant introducing that twist.

The only bad thing I must mention is the slowness of the first two paragraphs, although, once past them, the pace picks up a bit more. I hope to see more of Ensign in Area 88.

Keep up the good work

Fantasy
anotamous chapter 1 . 11/25/2009
Also, I did a little research on the phoenix, it is a great system in theory. However, in practice the phoenix has not scored a single kill, and has only been launched twice. Just about every single air to air missile built before 1990 has a better kill record than the phoenix. But I will admit the phoenix will kill any aircraft (or just about anything) it hits. The missile weighs a thousand pounds, and travels at mach 5, that is a hell of a lot of kinetic energy, forget the warhead.
anotamous chapter 1 . 4/25/2009
Why not F-14D's, they lack the A's biggest handicap. And I guess in terms of range they are good bombers, but they lack payload capacity.
anotamous chapter 1 . 2/25/2009
Actually, the super hornet may be slower, and have less range, however, high speed is NOT recommended for a dogfight, and the super hornet is more maneuverable and more durable. Another factor in favor of the hornet is it is a lot more reliable, it doesn't matter if you have the better bird if it doesn't work half the time. Plus yes, the tomcat can carry bombs, but only a few, and the bottom hard points, to the nearest of my knowledge, can't carry bombs, plus the AESA radar in the super hornet can scan both air and ground targets at the same time and lock on to up to 12 aerial targets. the super hornet can also engage more targets than the tomcat at any tomcat airframe is also not as adaptable as the hornets. Plus the tomcat is far easier than the hornet to see both on radar and visually. I will admit that quantity does not make up for quality, except your thinking about the wrong thing, it is the quality of the PILOT, not the plane, that wins battles. a well flown P-51 can kill an Me-262 and probably even an f-14, f-18, and f-22 despite the fact that the Me-262,f-14, f-18, and f-22 are superior. It is easier for a pilot to use a super hornet than a tomcat, and unlike the tomcat, does not have to worry about putting the aircraft into an unrecoverable spin, making it safer than the tomcat(also known even by some of its own pilots as the turkey). Yes the tomcat is a great aircraft, and probably could still be used, but a lot more factors than you thought of forced it into retirement, its kind of like a second generation F-4 phantom, only not as flexible(no offense). And yes, politicians don't know what they are doing when it calls for military work.
Iceman chapter 1 . 2/17/2009
The US Military stores its aurplus aircraft in Arizona at Davis-Monthan AFB outside of Tuscon.
aga04 chapter 1 . 5/10/2008
Nice idea, only seem strange that you use the older F14A and not the more up-to-date F14D. Besides, Bombcat is a nick for a A2G configuration, because all the version of the old mighty cat can still use full A2A payload with AIM-54 Phoenix, but the old avionics puts some limits to targeting at short distance, it needs a very skilled RIO. In that case, a F18 is better, due to more agile frame and better avionics (it's still underpowered, IMHO)
FreyOfDavis chapter 1 . 4/14/2007
I really hope you'll continue with this. As a big fan of Area 88 (and writer of an Area 88 story in progress), I'm drooling over the thought of 100 Tomcats vs. the rebel air force. One big furball chapter, that's all I ask for.

Question: are you going to have the Tomcats carry Phoenix missiles? They're the key to a Tomcat's long-range engagement ability, but they're mighty expensive.
Jebe chapter 1 . 3/27/2007
What's with the F-14 then F-22A nonsense? The thrust to weight on a F-22A is higher, the sensors are so widely distrubted and good it's been called a mini-EWACs, it can fly clean with its normal full A2A payload, and it's kicked butt on every 4th Gen fighter it's been put up against in testing including the F-14's kissing cousin the F-15.

The F-14s is a higher performance interceptor with the labor intensive maintenance bill to go with it.
KnighteWolfe chapter 1 . 9/12/2006
OH YEAH! AREA 88 FICS! WICKED COOL!

So far this story is off to a very damn good start. I Like it I Love It I Want More of IT!

One really quick note, Mickey flew Phantoms before he flew Tomcats.

Keep up the great work!

Knightewolfe

(and remember the Tomcat Motto: 'Anytime Anywhere, Baby!)

Vigilantes 4 Life!
Iceman chapter 1 . 7/13/2006
First, damn, that's a lot of Tomcats, nearly a seventh of all the Tomcats produced. Secondly, why not have them fly the far superior F-14D Super Tomcat to Area 88?
Timex chapter 1 . 5/11/2006
Another Area 88 story eh. Good one.

Though Ashlan is suppose to be Asran.
Groove chapter 1 . 4/26/2006
Another interesting Area 88 fanfic to read!
Ominae chapter 1 . 4/22/2006
Interesting to see another Area 88 fanfic on the rise. Is this based on the 2004 TV version or the OVA?

Just to let you know, it's also originally known as Asran, but those who've seen or heard of Area 88 can also refer to the Asran as Aslan.

Be looking forward to the other parts of this story. I also have an Area 88 story in here too.
WillTheWatcher chapter 1 . 4/22/2006
Hey. I don't know what Area 88 is but this story looks promising. :)